MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Slingshots?

I got a different type of Slingshot (shown in the OP) Been shooting Wrist Rockets for 50+ years but decided to try something different. I just rebanded my two Wrist Rockets a few weeks ago with store bought band assemblies, and found that they are not as fast as my new Flat Band Sling Shot from Simple Shot. The new one is much easier to hit with as well.

When I was younger I used 3/8" @25 lb draw and 1/2" @ 25 lb draw Surgical Tubing for my Wrist Rockets and got much better performance from them. The store bought assemblies use a tube that isn't very fast and they will get new Surgical Tube or that Theraband material to replace the Red and Black (not Theraband) material on there now. Luckily I can still use the pouches with the new tubing.

I have also made band assemblies from Flat Theraband which is what my new one uses. The Maximum/ Optimum draw length for bands is 6 times the relaxed length. You work backwards from your draw length to the relaxed length. This is where you get the most power from your bands, however 5X gives you more life from a band set.

Just some info to help out.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have a couple of wrist rockets. Been using a slingshot since a teenager. I use "atomic fireballs" candy as ammo. Biodegradable.
    Noooooooooooo!!!!! Sacrilege! Fireballs are only to be eaten! Plain jawbreakers are for shooting! I found 1 left over from the early 80’s not too long ago. It wasn’t hot anymore.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Last time one broke and hit the corner of my mouth, I made the statement that if I ever shoot one again, it will be from the hip.
    I shutter to think what might get hit in that area........

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I've had a band break, hit me, maybe three times in my life. After the first one broke, I quit holding the pouch near my face, that time it happened the band came back and snapped me under my right eye, way too dangerous for me to shoot like that.

What I do now is draw it close across my chest, left hand stretched out holding the fork, right hand holding the pouch, almost to my right armpit.
    It looks and feels very similar to drawing a bow.
    The relearning process... Is a little difficult but once you figure it out then instinctive snap shots are great.

Pretty easy to have several projectiles in the right hand.

Carpenter bees do not stand a chance against acorn anti aircraft.

My favorite ammo for the slingshot are 95 grain Lee 380 bullets and 49 caliber lead round ball.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My nearly new supervisor came to me with a problem. He told me that a yellowjacket was in the bomb bay and no one could work in there on the F105 fighter bomber in the next stall. He asked for my advice and I told him that I would take care of it. Used a bigger rubber band with a 3/4 inch small electrical wire bent into a U shape. Went over and looked up the bomb ejection tube and the Y J was flying in circles above. Upon the release there was a smallish sounding zzzt and wings and other bits came floating down in the florescent lighting. Everyone present seemed to think it was a very impressive shot with my impromptu slingshot. LOL

Guys: Bands usually give up as you are drawing them back. If you keep the pouch away from your face while drawing, then move it next to your cheek when you are at full draw, you can avoid getting smacked in the chops with a band.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345