Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slingshots?

After close to 50 years without a slingshot, I bought a few to give to the grandkids. My 7 year old grandson beeps the tree rats away from the bird feeders. I cast .36 caliber balls and PC them so they don't handle raw lead. I've even nailed a couple tree rats. Shooting one came back easy. You don't forget.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0304201827_Film1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	279560

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had a couple as a kid. I was lucky to live not far from a heavy equipment manufacturer. It was easy to sneak into their yard after they closed. They had 55 gallon drums full of 1/2 inch slugs punched from 3/8 plate. They flew really well and much more consistent than any pebbles I found.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use "Atomic Fireballs" , the smaller ones about 7/16" in diameter for my ammo. Figure after a few months, they will dissolve. Biodegradable. Don't want to leave lead buckshot laying in my neighbors yard, in case of a ricochet.

Boolit Master
    My slingshot is a magnum. 8 foot max draw. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigShot.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    When the rabbits are on their peak years around here I like hunting with a slingshot. The cheap $10 walmart sling shots are actually pretty impressive at killing things. I often have a slingshot in my pack while hunting just in case I run across a grouse.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    Neat thread.

When I was 8-10 my dad made a sling shot for me. He used strips cut out of an inner tube. I never got that good with it but all I had for "ammunition" was small rocks. Once I got an air rifle, that was a game changer. Wish I still had the one my dad made.

Has me thinking about making one with our grandson.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

We have had a wrist rocket around for years. Not sure how any crows we have dispatched from backyard trees when they decide to roost for the old months. Other critters are quietly encouraged to move along and bug some other neighbor.
    I would not feel under armed at all to use one to help some vile 2 legged thing to move along
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Don: if you do a little research you will find lots of info on how to make bands out of several different materials. Theraband Exercise Band makes excellent bands and once you learn how to cut the material and tie them you'll have an endless supply. Which you are going to need to keep the slingshot shooting. They do wear out, and you are looking at maybe 500 shots out of a good set of bands. Also UV kills them faster than anything else, so keep them out of the sun.

When shooting a slingshot the one most critical point of accuracy is that the bands must be the exact same length when you release. If they aren't the ball will go in the direction away from the longer band.

One of the little known points about Slingshot Design is the width of the yoke. Wider the yoke the harder it is to get the bands the same length at full draw. This is due to the tilt on the yoke when you release. The effects of this can be minimized by keeping the width of the yoke around 2-2 1/2" inside.

Also holding the slingshot sideways virtually eliminates the side to side error (windage) so all of the aiming errors result in elevation errors which are easier to compensate for.

That said shooting the Conventional Sling Shot is all about Muscle Memory. And the only way to get it is to practice!

Wrist Rocket style Slingshots allow you to control the tilt in the yoke easier since the yoke is locked in the same place on your arm everytime you draw. Also the design tends to make the bands draw evenly as you can't hold it out of alignment. It is kind of self aligning. Since your arm is locked into it they are capable of supporting much strong bands. When In my 20's and 30's my Wrist Rocket had 1/2" Surgical Tubing for bands and the draw weight was 35lbs! it would surely kill someone with a head shot which I could easily make out to 25 yards every single time.

At the time my primary ammo was 240 gr .44 cal. Lee SWC's and they flew sideways! (No gas check needed!)

The down side of the Wrist Rocket or even the Folding version originally called a Pocket Rocket (shown in my first post) is that they are less portable than a conventional style slingshot. That is where the conventional style of slingshot comes in. They fit nicely in a pocket and thus can be carried more easily.

Lots to know here, and it is a good addition to our gun hobby because they are just another way of launching a projectile. One more tool for your tool for your mental toolbox that appears totally harmless to the uneducated.

So many are uneducated nowadays !

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-19-2021 at 02:11 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    I used to get surge tubing from the HS them lab. It provided good power and when used with 000 buckshot it became formidable. We used to have guinea hens as watch dogs and bug eaters. They would proliferate to some degree and since they are quite comparable to pheasant on the table, it fell to me to collect an occasional one. They would take to the trees when disturbed and at 10-20 yds the 000 would take the head off of one of them.
    The 000 would leave an impressive ding in a soup can, like collapsing one side.

Been shooting slingshots for 60+ years. I have used hundreds of pounds of ammo and more bands than I can count. My favorite ammo is cast lead balls of .400-.410 cal. I have found 00 buck works ok (just a little light), and .44 rb just a tad heavy for my taste. The .40 cal rb at about 95-100 grains gives the accuracy and energy that I like for small game and target practice. I prefer the standard style flat sling shot. I just never got as accurate with a "wrist rocket". I do prefer tube bands for the added velocity and flatter trajectory. Sling shots are fun to shoot and deadly with practice. A .40 cal will dispatch a large raccoon with a head shot at 25 yards.

Those of you without Airguns and wanting to shoot Iguanas, should realize that a Decent Slingshot will fill the bill jsut fine. You are a little more limited in range but can still be effective inside 25 yards.

Just something to think about?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Bub
    I carry one with me when I go fishing. I use it to keep the alligators spooked away. Forgot it yesterday, and had to beat an aggressive alligator with my fishing rod when I hooked a bass. BTW, I use beans as ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I would not feel under armed at all to use one to help some vile 2 legged thing to move along
    The most satisfying shot I ever made with my slingshots was shooting the guy in the butt that was rifling thru my Glove Box in my car. I was blinded by the sparks coming out of his butt as he ran away.

My Pocket Rocket had 1/2" Surgical Tube on it at the time and had @ 35 lb. draw weight. I was shooting Lee .429-240s without the gas checks that night, and was doing it Butt Naked ! Range was 10-12 yards and I know that one left a mark, and it probably left one on his Soul as well!

You only get a few of these experiences in a lifetime, best to savor every one. I remember it like it was last night and yet it happened in 1976,,, 45 years ago!

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    I just cut a bunch of gunslings the other day out of cherry Maple and elm, Attachment 281974

Boolit Mold
    Have owned a Wrist Rocket of one kind or another since 1969. One sits on my safe in an unopened package. As kids we shot green chinaberries, then moved up to marbles.

Yes, the Pocket Rocket is a great gadget that has provided me a lot of fun and occasional utility over many years. I mostly used marbles or ball bearings for ammo, but those of you casting for your slingshots have a better idea. Slingshot balls could be a good use for zinc wheel weights, losing a little density compared to lead but conserving lead for boolits.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I like 180 grain lead ball in my slingshot.
    It strikes the pots and pans most authoritatively, lets the sound really ring out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Here is a picture, I want a heavier draw slingshot.
    Suggestions?

And here, I thought you were discussing the Polaris Slingshot...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Here is a picture, I want a heavier draw slingshot.
    Suggestions?

Instead of the yellow tube rubber you want the blue or black. Should be able to find it in bulk.

<Sorry ebay url removed>
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 07-08-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: ebay url removed
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast