Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Turret Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by 4RT View Post
    Also, about 2/3 of the small ball bearing is above the top of the hole it sits in when the turret's off the press. When installed, the front of the turret's slightly elevated by the bearing while the back has nothing under it so it's in contact with the column. Maybe it needs to be screwed down tighter so there's less gap in the front. But any tighter than I've had it and it doesn't want to turn at all. Thinking out loud here...
    Thanks again for this info and the Handloader's Digest thumbnail!
    Something is causing that cap to be cocked allowing the front at the detent hole on the shoulder of the column to have clearance and have contact in the back. Thinking out loud here....If the column threads were pulled, they'd all have to be pulled or the cap would bind when screwing the cap on to the threads. There is clearance built into the threads cause there course threads. The allen head locking screw is adjusted and the end of it comes in contact with the ball. The more you tighten that locking screw, it's pulls up on the cap and the clearance in the column threads and the clearance in cap threads bottom out. When the cap screw is tightened down completely, all the threads should be in contact with each other. But some how, your cap has clearance in the front and zero clearance in the back. The column detent ball and spring play no roll in this clearance. All the ball does is lock the turret in each station. The eight holes that are machined on the underside of the turret has to be cut at 45 degree's or 60 degree's (can't remember) and can NOT be chamfered. The edge of the hole needs to sharp and not chamfered. The sharp edge is what keeps the detent ball in the hole, kind of like a lock. Ok, the next thing that I'm thinking about out loud here is, the cap screw that locks the cap on the column. The lock screw has a hole for the ball to set into on the face of the screw. That hole allows equal pressure to be pulled on the threads when it's adjusted. That locking screw should set flush or below the edge of the hole (at least mine do and all the pictures that I've looked at on the internet). I did notice yours is setting proud (high) on top of your cap. In that picture, is it adjusted..?? Or have you replaced it with a new longer one..?? If you've replaced it with a new one that is longer, be sure the face of the lock screw has a round hole for the ball to set in. That locking screws face can not be flat.

Another thought or thing that comes to mind that could be causing your issue. On the top of your column is a hole that was used for when it was put on the lathe for the machining process. That hole is were the cap ball goes when you screw the cap on and when you screw the locking screw in and adjust it. That holes edge has to be sharp and NOT chamfered. Check that holes edge for sharpness. If it's been chamfered, that chamfer will allow the ball to move from side to side. That holes sharp edge acts like a lock for the ball. Take your turret off the press and clean the ball of all oil. Take a clean rag and clean that hole of any oil. Place the ball back in the hole and take your fingers and see if the ball will move any in the hole. The ball should not move any in that hole, the ball should be positive locked in that hole. If you can rock it any, you need to resurface the top of your column at that hole to bring the holes edge back to being sharp. Remember that hole is a lock for that ball. You can probably file or sand that face to get rid of the chamfer.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again, Hollywood Goon. You've gone above and beyond trying to help me with this issue. I appreciate it!

As far as the cap goes, it could be cocked. However, without the spring and ball bearing, and the cap screwed down tight, there's no gap anywhere, top or bottom. Also, without the spring and ball bearing, or cap, in place, the turret spins freely. But with everything assembled, there's got to be some play allowing the turret to move. So with the spring and ball bearing in place, I screw the cap down tight then back off enough to free it up. Since there's only the spring pushing up in the front, that's where the gap is, UNDER the turret. Something to note though, with spring/bearing in place, there's no gap...that I can detect...at the back, either under the turret or on top of the turret where the cap rides. Maybe the cap's not perfectly flat on the bottom. It seems well-machined though.

Setup involves having the turret turn with just a little difficulty, but then it loosens when I tighten the set screw. As you noted, this pulls the cap upward. And yes, the set screw that came with the press was 3/4 inches long and a little proud. Didn't look right so I got a 5/8 inch knurled, cup point set screw (that was what the 3/4 inch screw was) and it sits flush. Same issue with either set screw. And the large bearing that sits at the top of the press column is very tight in its hole. No play whatsoever. All parts look relatively "new." I don't know the history of this press but it looked like it sat unused in a shed for a long time. It was covered with brown film (dirt?) but cleaned up nicely. I planned to resurface the turret with a sander but a little "Krud Kutter" got it clean.

Eight holes where the ballbearing locks in the turret bottom look okay to me. Don't know how they could be measured. But, when the turret's working well, it locks in fine at each station. It's only after using the press, creating forces: upward (sizing/expanding) and downward (pulling case out of the die or expander out of the case) that the turret seizes up. As I've mentioned previously, can't help but to think suction from the lubrication sitting between two smooth surfaces (cap/turret and turret/press shoulder) cause the two to stick together. But what to do about that? Can't imagine not using lube. I tried powdered graphite, no help. It seems, even if the cap/turret adjustment was too loose, for easy rotation, nothing would change unless the adjustment got changed...unless it's suction from the lube. I don't believe it does change since the set screw is very tight. On the other hand, maybe the cap, and/or the turret, and/or the column are cattywampus in some way?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

The set screw that came with the press was 3/4 inches long and a little proud. Didn't look right so I got a 5/8 inch knurled, cup point set screw (that was what the 3/4 inch screw was) and it sits flush. Same issue with either set screw.
    On both of my Hollywood Senior Turret Presses, the cap locking screw is 5/8 inch but it doesn't have the cup point/face knurling part that your talking about. I checked one of my Universal Turret presses and the cap locking screw was 3/4 inch, but the face had knurling on it. Don't know if the knurling makes any difference or not.

As I've mentioned previously, can't help but to think suction from the lubrication sitting between two smooth surfaces (cap/turret and turret/press shoulder) cause the two to stick together. But what to do about that? Can't imagine not using lube. I tried powdered graphite, no help. It seems, even if the cap/turret adjustment was too loose, for easy rotation, nothing would change unless the adjustment got changed...unless it's suction from the lube. I don't believe it does change since the set screw is very tight. On the other hand, maybe the cap, and/or the turret, and/or the column are cattywampus in some way?
    You might take the smooth surfaces and clean/de-grease them of oil. Try some red scotch brite to rough up the smooth surfaces some. I wouldn't think there would be a break in period if the surfaces were reconditioned (me thinking out loud on that statement). Who knows, Hollywood is not around to ask that very question. Wish they was, but there not. When you reassemble, put the oil on a rag and then wipe the surface with the oiled rag. That way, your only putting a light film of oil on the surface. If it's not too much trouble, before you reassemble, could you take some pictures of the bottom of the cap, the surface of the shoulder on the column and top and bottom of the turret. Try to get close and clear pictures. Maybe a 2nd set of eyes will see something that your missing or over looking.

Just something to think about. If you have a reloader that your friends with in your local area, maybe he could take a look at it for you. If you can't tell, I'm starting to run out of ideas. I hate to suggest start replacing parts. Maybe you could get in touch with Bob Cordes and he might be able to help you. His email is sedroc@centurytel.net Bob has purchased the remainder of the original Hollywood Gun Shop Reloading Tool inventory.

Please post again when you get this figured out. I wish you luck, as I may learn. My universal turret runs great as long as I give it what it wants.
    Last edited by super6; 04-04-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, super6. Yes, what would life be without some mystery. This press seems to have a mind of its own. Hope to figure out what IT wants. Working on a response/pictures to Hollywood Goon's last post. Might give Bob Cordes a call too. Bought some parts from him a while back. He might have some experience with recalcitrant Hollywood presses.

Boolit Mold
    Hollywood Goon,
    With the cap off, I rotated the knurled set screw on the top ball bearing. You're right, knurling doesn’t touch anything.
    I’ve seen maroon Scotch Brite. Per a search, it’s supposed to be 320 grit. Might look for some the next time I get to a hardware store.

Here are some pictures of the disassembled turret:

Column collar and how the spring holds the small bearing. Seems appropriate considering shallow locking holes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200404_113029.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	259781

Hole for large bearing in column top.

Name:	IMG_20200404_114034.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	259782

Bottom of cap.

Name:	IMG_20200404_115332.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	259783
    By the way, with spring and both bearings removed, I screwed the cap down tight on top of the turret. There was no gap top or bottom, and around the circumference, checked with my thinnest feeler gauge (0.0015). I’m no machinist but shouldn’t this mean that the cap, turret and column shoulder fit together well?

Planning to call Bob Cordes this week to see if he’s experienced this issue himself and to see if he still has small Hollywood parts (spring/bearings).

Thanks again for all the advice I’ve gotten here. Nice of you guys to take your time to patiently help!

JRT, The bottom of that cap looks gaulded, That thing should be mirror like. If were me I would refinish it.
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, super6. Good idea. Have to figure out a way to do that.

can't help but to think suction from the lubrication sitting between two smooth surfaces
    I completely forgot about the vent hole in the turret til I seen your picture. Unless your vent hole is clogged, I can't see lubrication locking up the turret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vent Hole.jpg  

Thanks, super6. Good idea. Have to figure out a way to do that.
    A orbital sander would be the safest way in my opinion.

Boolit Mold
    That's a vent hole, Hollywood Goon!? I thought it was an imperfection. That maybe the manufacturer went too far drilling one locking divot for the small ball bearing. Tomorrow, I'll make sure it's clear, and size some 44 mag. And thanks for the orbital sander suggestion. An excuse to get another tool!

I’ve seen maroon Scotch Brite.
    Maroon color scotch brite is correct. But for some reason, I call it red.

By the way, with spring and both bearings removed, I screwed the cap down tight on top of the turret. There was no gap top or bottom, and around the circumference, checked with my thinnest feeler gauge (0.0015). I’m no machinist but shouldn’t this mean that the cap, turret and column shoulder fit together well?
    Yes/correct

Planning to call Bob Cordes this week to see if he’s experienced this issue himself and to see if he still has small Hollywood parts (spring/bearings).
    If he doesn't, he can probably point you in the right direction.

Thanks again for all the advice I’ve gotten here. Nice of you guys to take your time to patiently help!
    Not a problem and just glad I'm able to help considering what's going on in this time we live in.

That's a vent hole, Hollywood Goon!? I thought it was an imperfection. That maybe the manufacturer went too far drilling one locking divot for the small ball bearing. Tomorrow, I'll make sure it's clear, and size some 44 mag. And thanks for the orbital sander suggestion. An excuse to get another tool!
    The one turret that I have apart as well speak (lol...type) has the same vent hole. That hole goes all the way threw the turret in station #1 detent hole lock on the underside of the turret. Take a flash light and put it on that detent hole lock and look at it from the top of the turret. You will see the flash light. If you don't see the flash light, your vent hole is clogged up.

I suggested the orbital sander cause I thought that's what you used to clean up the top of the turret. Wish you lived close to me, I let you barrow mine and that way, you wouldn't have to go and buy one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Hollywood_Goon; 04-05-2020 at 09:42 PM.

An excuse to get another tool!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again, Hollywood Goon. Unclogging the vent just sounds right. I might have stuck a toothpick through it when cleaning at first. Maybe it got clogged from over lubrication. At any rate, working through this issue has been frustrating but fun and educational. Can't stress how much I appreciate all the help I got from you all. And I will absolutely let you know what happens with the vent and polish. Polish might take awhile.

Don't mean to get all spiritual but might God provide interesting distractions and generous, helpful people at difficult times? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 4RT; 04-05-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Not exactly an acid test but reloaded 50 rounds of 44 mag today. The turret seemed a bit stiff part of the way through the process but it's fine now.

First thing was to disassemble the turret and shine a flashlight through the vent. Disappointed, light came through. But I stuck a toothpick through it and it came out pretty gunked up. Put some solvent on it and pushed it through a few more times. Also, wiped away residual lubricant on the column collar, turret and cap with a dry patch. Rethinking the need for lube. Don't want parts to rust but the turret doesn't even make one revolution in a reloading session. Now, my major goal is not blocking that vent.

Eventually, the cap needs polishing. Might be awhile but I'll report changes here.

Thanks again, everyone!

This is how I sanded and polished my turret cap. I took a new piece of 600 grit sandpaper and sprayed WD40 on the sand paper. I would move the cap left to right while rotating the cap and then move the cap up and down while rotating the cap. The cap is heavy, so I don't have to put any pressure on it. It's own weight keeps it flat on the sandpaper. My job was to just keep the cap moving. I did this for about 20 minutes. I did not change out the sandpaper either. After a few minutes, I'd wipe the face of the cap off and spray some more WD40 on the sandpaper. After 20 minutes of wet sanding with WD40, I cleaned the cap and wiped the WD40 off the sandpaper. Using the same piece of 600 grit sandpaper, I put Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on the sandpaper and did the same process for 10 minutes. All I wanted to do was smooth out the surface. I still have some small lines from when it was faced on a machine. Another 30 minutes and I could have it looking like a mirror but it doesn't need to be like a mirror to move smoothly against another smooth surface. I'll attach a few pictures. Sorry, no before pictures, just after (my bad ).

By the way, I got the 600 grit sandpaper from Lowes.

What you think Art..?? Give it a spin, I think you'll be surprise and happy with how it turns out for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turret Cap Polish 1.jpg   Turret Cap Polish 2.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Hey Hollywood,
    Your cap came out amazing! Did it make a difference in your turret's operation? I was a little apprehensive about polishing it, thinking I might make it uneven. Guess the goal is to keep it moving, in all directions.

I've got plenty of wet and dry sandpaper from 400 to 1200 grit. Also Ballistol, BreakFree and other light oils to use, as well as Mother's. Might as well give it a try. Thanks for the instructions. Much appreciated!

By the way, have you watched Rex Roach on YouTube?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/rex9580/videos
    He did three videos on a Hollywood Senior Turret (4X4) press exactly like mine. (No markings cast into the press, and a V-groove in the back) He bought it from a friend who bought it from Hollywood Gun Shop in 1962. He refurbished it from a rusty mess into a beauty. He used an orbital sander to refinish the turret. The first video is on Hollywood history. The second is on his restoration of the press. And the third is reloading some 32-20 "caatridges." These videos are 9 mos to a year ago. His turret works super smooth, maybe because he polished it. Maybe in time...

Thanks again for your post!
    Art

Hey Hollywood,
    Your cap came out amazing! Did it make a difference in your turret's operation? I was a little apprehensive about polishing it, thinking I might make it uneven. Guess the goal is to keep it moving, in all directions.
    Art That cap came from a M&M Engineering turret press that I have/own. That press is way back on my burner for fixing (still hot under the collar about it's condition when I bought that press). Let just put it this way, when I finally get around to fixing it, most will say, why you even bring it back when it's already in the grave. And my answer to that question is: that's a good question. But, my other turret is a true Hollywood Gun Shop Senior Turret Press. The carriage assembly has the correct Hollywood keyway and machined groove in the column. The ballway and the V groove is not the correct way that Hollywood Gun Shop Tool had it done. Anywaaays, that's a rant for another day ( ).

Now, my other cap, I didn't even have to polish it cause it came from Hollywood smooth with no machine marks on the face of it. My M&M Engineering turret press cap face looked just like yours does. Joe must have had a ton of worn out High Speed Steel tooling he was using on his lathes. Probably was still stuck in the HSS days. As for the cap that I cleaned up the machine marks on. I only did that to show you how it can be done and with what tools. Hopefully it was beneficial in helping you.

I've got plenty of wet and dry sandpaper from 400 to 1200 grit. Also Ballistol, BreakFree and other light oils to use, as well as Mother's. Might as well give it a try. Thanks for the instructions. Much appreciated!
    When you get done polishing that cap up to a smooth finish. When you go to adjust that cap, give a little more clearance. Your tightening it down way too much. Several of your post lead me too that conclusion. Not barking at you, just saying that in a humble way.

By the way, have you watched Rex Roach on YouTube?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/rex9580/videos
    He did three videos on a Hollywood Senior Turret (4X4) press exactly like mine. (No markings cast into the press, and a V-groove in the back) He bought it from a friend who bought it from Hollywood Gun Shop in 1962. He refurbished it from a rusty mess into a beauty. He used an orbital sander to refinish the turret. The first video is on Hollywood history. The second is on his restoration of the press. And the third is reloading some 32-20 "caatridges." These videos are 9 mos to a year ago. His turret works super smooth, maybe because he polished it. Maybe in time...
    Yes I have. I'm having a problem with his friends time line of when his friend bought that press new. In the video, you can clearly see the V groove in the column and he said in the video about the keyway having a ball on the end of it. Lyle Corcoran never had a V groove in his presses or a ball on the end of the key way. This press is probably a early 70's turret press.(?) Probably produced/machined by James Whitney.

Post from Tracvision
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2980414
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracvision View Post
    When I obtained Mr. Corcoran's remaining inventory, I also obtained some Patents (originals), personal notes and much correspondence ( some handwritten ). I also obtained original photographs, advertising and the full sized negatives to boot. I have some of his original prototype machines including the Super Turret. As for packaging material, that was not anywhere to be found. However, the Turrets were still wrapped in the original waxed paper. If there are any additional pictures you would like to see, feel free to ask. Harold
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3017755
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracvision View Post
    I understand that some presses even have been seen with a ball in the shell holder carriage assembly instead of the key for alignment ( see pic ). This was not done by Hollywood. It was an after the fact fix for a company that didn't want to reproduce the proper part for the keyway.
    Keep in mind, I am not trying to change or redesign HW's press. I just want to build them the way they were designed. I believe many of the existing issues arise from changes done after HW was no longer making the decisions.
    Just my $0.02
    Attachment 122591
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Thanks again for your post!
    Art
    No problem. I really enjoyed this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails attachment55.jpg  

4RT, I enjoyed the history of the Hollywood. presses. Thanks for the link!

Hollywood, Nicely done on the cap work . A belt sander wood have been handy! I have access to a surface grinder.
    Last edited by super6; 04-07-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: SP
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program