Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 582

Boolit Master

Remington 582

I have a very nice Remington 582 sitting in the house right now. I'm helping a widow sell her husbands firearms.

I really like this rifle. I really want to buy it. My wife is giving me the stinkeye for even talking about it.

I was really surprised to see how much these rifles were selling for.

Whew, I'm glad I got that off my chest.
    NRA Benefactor.

Very nice...I like the 582 with the tube mag...nothing to get lost like with the 581...."now...where did I put that magazine?"

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

That is a desirable rifle- it's only natural to want it. Cut yourself some slack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yeah, I know it's desirable. I desire it!

It's been used. Bluing is good. Stock has some wear marks.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a value for it. There have only been a couple sold on GunBroker and they were crazy expensive.
    NRA Benefactor.

As near as I can tell from a few searches...it was going for $150-300 but that was 6 years ago...so....I'd put it in the $200-400 range today.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

They were know for their accuracy and design of the action. Many were converted to benchrest rifles. This entailed a heavy barrel and stock. The single shot was more desirable for the conversion.

Boolit Mold
    N. Central IL 10mi from WI boarder Machesney Park
    I know this is a very old post but being how I went thru 12 pages before I found the first post on the 5mm... I bought my 592 about 17-18 yrs ago from an older fellow who had put less than one box of ammo thru it he threw 4 boxes of original Rem ammo in I paid $400 for it then it is still in 98% condition the stocks petina has turned into a very nice reddish hue. When Aguila first started making ammo I bought 5000 rounds it became my rimfire gun for going out west shooting PDogs only issue I ever had was I broke the shell ejector buy was able to find 2 new old stock that were SS no issues since . I have whittled my rimfire's down to just 2 the 582 and my NEF 17MII love them both. Kurt

My bad I thought this post was for a 592 and the title was just a typo was not aware of the 582 22. Kurt
    Last edited by Phatinjun; 09-30-2021 at 01:08 AM.

I don't know the 582. Any chance of some photo's?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

The 582 is the tube magazine version of the 580 series ( 580 single shot, 581 box magazine, 582 tube magazine).
    The 591 and 592 were the 5mm Remington versions.
    That is if I remember correctly- no promises!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

There's ONE on Guns International, $405.99.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101737924

I think these were the rimfire companion rifles of the 788. It's been 40-some years, rear locking lugs like a mini 788?

Boolit Master
    There are rear locking lugs on the 500 series , two of them encorporated in the bolt handle root. except for the 514 which has a single bolt handle locking lug.
    These rifles were prior to the 788s and the 580 series
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master
    The 510 series is completely different from the 580 series.

As Texas by God and Ithaca Gunner wrote they were the smaller brothers of the Model 788, and just about as accurate across the board.

The pretty sister of the bunch is the Model 541 target and sporter version.

Strange that Remington didn't build any in .22WRFM, but I guess they were pushing the 5mm RFM.

The Model 580 series can also be converted to centerfire fairly easily. A lot of the 590's were converted when the 5mm ammo dried up.

Robert

I might have to start looking for a 581 or 582 at the local shows. I bought the wife a 581 in the 1970's and thought it a fine rifle for the price, but she didn't use it and it went away for something I thought more useful at the time.

Boolit Master

My model 581 is probably the most accurate 22 LR I have ever owned.
    It shoots as well as my Winchester M75. Maybe better.
    It is not all that fussy about ammo.
    An old lot of Winchester super Speed is the best so far.
    I really haven`t tried any match ammo in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Within arms reach, here in the Command center of my Bunker, I have a 582. Bought it about a year ago. It had a broken front sight but other than that it is in good shape with just the expected dings and scrapes you would expect to find on a gun of its age. I have been on a Rem. streak the last few years having added a 552 and a 572 along with repurchasing a 513T that I originally bought in the late 60s from the guy I sold it to 30+ years ago. After reading the posts in this thread, I think I done good to buy the 582 for $136.00 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The 510 series is completely different from the 580 series.

As Texas by God and Ithaca Gunner wrote they were the smaller brothers of the Model 788, and just about as accurate across the board.

The pretty sister of the bunch is the Model 541 target and sporter version.

Strange that Remington didn't build any in .22WRFM, but I guess they were pushing the 5mm RFM.

The Model 580 series can also be converted to centerfire fairly easily. A lot of the 590's were converted when the 5mm ammo dried up.

Robert
    I believe-for what that's worth- if Remington had made their rimfire magnum in a 22 cal it would still be with us. The fly in the ointment might have been the ease of making WRM revolvers with a similar size diameter cylinder but in a rifle the 22 Remington with a 50 gr bullet would have been a thumper.
    Burnt Fingers, did you buy it?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thinking back almost thirty years, I got to fire a shot or two from a 5mm Model 591 that somebody brought to my range. It seemed to have a bit more pop than a .22 WMR. I could easily be wrong on that though.

The tube magazine .22 bolt action has always made more sense to me than a detachable box mag, as long as the feed mechanism works. The strange thing is I can only remember having one of them over the years.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

I have a 581 for my use. Bought a 580 for my twin sons years ago, then cut 3 inches of both ends of the stock and 6 inches off of the barrel. This year my 8 year old grandson got to start using it. If memory serves me right, Numerich Arms used to offer a 22 Mag conversion to bring the 5m/m rifles back into use when 5m/m ammo goy scarce.

Robert, the best thing about 22 rimfires, mag or regular, is that they don't generate enough pressure that the tube hanging underneath the barrel affects the accuracy. The clip fed guns always found me searching for a balance point that wasn't right under the clip when I carried them. Not many people used a sling back then. Loosing the magazines for those rifles created a whole new market for repo or used magazines though. Either one of the rifles mentioned stir a lot of fond old memories for us older shooters and hunters.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I have a 581 for my use. Bought a 580 for my twin sons years ago, then cut 3 inches of both ends of the stock and 6 inches off of the barrel. This year my 8 year old grandson got to start using it. If memory serves me right, Numerich Arms used to offer a 22 Mag conversion to bring the 5m/m rifles back into use when 5m/m ammo goy scarce.
    Welcome aboard.

About 1991 or so, I bought a similarly shortened Model 581 for my "nephew", (best friends' three year old son). That rifle would stack Eley Tenex one on top of another a 35 yards. He's still got it.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Robert, the best thing about 22 rimfires, mag or regular, is that they don't generate enough pressure that the tube hanging underneath the barrel affects the accuracy. The clip fed guns always found me searching for a balance point that wasn't right under the clip when I carried them. Not many people used a sling back then. Loosing the magazines for those rifles created a whole new market for repo or used magazines though. Either one of the rifles mentioned stir a lot of fond old memories for us older shooters and hunters.
    I agree, about the only regular .22 rifles that I remember having slings were ones that were carried coon hunting at night.

Seemed like no one knew abut using a sling for support while shooting either.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 10-15-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast