Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The 32acp, Fun, Effective, Useless, History, Guns, Loadings

Boolit Master
    Hope you enjoy your new Beretta. The .32 is fun to shoot.

One of my uncle's went back to visit some of our relatives and said how beautiful it is there. Glad to have a small part of it.

Boolit Master
    re: 1914 Mauser, try some Fiocchi, RWS, Magtech, or S&B ammo.
    The European specs (CIP) are a bit hotter than U.S. specs. The Mauser was designed for the stouter ammo.
    I had an Uncle that was a route sales rep for a major auto supply company circa 1950’-1960’s. He carried one 24-7 for decades. He kept it on his lamp table when not carrying.
    Speculation was that it followed him home after WWII...
    None of the vets on my dad’s side ever talked about their service. So, no provenance.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Colt Detective Special in 32 Colt. Anyone ever use the 32 Colt much? I really have no experience in 32 cal at all. I just couldn't turn down this gun even though I'm much more into 38 special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ColtDetspec32.jpg  

Boolit Master

Mr. Harris, you exhaust me. Thank you for sharing all of this information......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    For some strange reason, I've been gathering .32 handguns over the past few years (and a few rifles). I never set out to collect them, but they're usually inexpensive and well made. They all like cast bullets. I just received an Accurate mold in .32.
    All the ACPs get a 75 gr cast bullet sized to .311
    2.1 grs Unique or 1.7 gr Bullseye
    Last edited by Battis; 06-21-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just found this thread after acquiring a much-used Savage Model 1917 in 7.65 mm Browning. It wants to shoot, in spite of having a fired tired barrel.
    Trigger is very stiff -- perhaps 8-9 pounds, but the two of us shot this group at 7 yards on our first outing with PMC 60-grain HP. I could call my pulled shots thanks to both the difficult trigger and the rudimentary sights. Had to get 'em just right in the bifocals ...
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...tput_1794.jpeg

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeyoung View Post
    I have a Colt Detective Special in 32 Colt. Anyone ever use the 32 Colt much? I really have no experience in 32 cal at all. I just couldn't turn down this gun even though I'm much more into 38 special.
    The .32 Colt New Police is a useful round, especially in a modern post-WW2 steel frame revolver such as your Colt Detective Special or Police Positive, or the S&W Models 30 and 31.

RESIST the temptation to "try" .32 ACP ammo in it. The reason being that the thinner .32 ACP semi-rim presents a condition of excessive head clearance, which results in the case forcefully "pistoning" against the firing pin bushing in the frame, beiung aggravated by the higher chamber pressure of the .32 ACP vs. .32 S&W Long. Because the .32 ACP rim is smaller in diameter than the Colt firing pin bushing, this results in peening and setting the bushing back in the frame. A costly repair to fix.

So don't to it.

Some velocity data with the .32 S&W Long firiing in Colt revolvers:

.32 S&W Long Tests of Barrel Length Vs. Cylinder Gap 5 April 2021

Ammunition description_______Colt DS 3”_____Police Positive 4”___Colt Cobra 3”
    Cylinder Gap____________pass 0.004/hold .005___.010/.011______.005/0.006

WRA .32 CNP Balloon Head____738, 13 Sd________680, 21 Sd______744, 10 Sd

Western .32 SWL 98 LRN_______709, 14 Sd_______639. 11 Sd______693, 14 Sd

PMC 98 LRN_________________737, 11 Sd_______675, 21 Sd______745, 11 Sd

Fiocchi 98 HBWC_____________620, 12 Sd_______613, 9 Sd_______624, 11 Sd

Saeco #325, 2.5 grs. Bullseye___836, 10 Sd______829, 11 Sd_______840, 12 Sd

Saeco #325, 7 grs. Aliant #2400__1021, 31 Sd_____1005, 14 Sd____DO NOT fire in alloy frame

Accurate 31-109H, 2.5 grs. BE____871, 11 Sd______801, 19 Sd_______844, 6 Sd
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Am I the only one that chuckled at the term "32 acp +p"?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite 32 acp is a all steel Walther PPK of WWII heritage , bears the German eagle marks and shows her age and having been through a war ... but the grace and lines are still there and she shoots ... just fine .
    One good looking little handgun ... has style .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Gary, those are very cool ole pistols................Curdog

Boolit Buddy
    The .32 experienced a resurgence when Jim Croce revealed it was the caliber of choice for Bad Leroy Brown.

In US Handguns of World War II: The secondary pistols and revolvers. author Charles Pate states on page 258 that during the war radio operators for the Norwegian resistance were supplied with 2" .32 revolvers. mostly Harrington and Richardsons. Pate points out the 7,65mm round, widely distributed in Europe, could be used in such weapons.

This next will no doubt be viewed by many as heresy, but I feel the low velocity.32 ACP round is a natural for plated bullets. Given their low price, I can find better things to do with my life than cast .32 bullets, particularly when I don't need that many.

Boolit Buddy
    I was lubricating my Zastava Model 70 last night. (God help me, but I LOVE that little pistol)! I know that that little .32 ACP, loaded with 73-grain Fiocchi FMJ ammunition, can/will "settle someone's hash" if called upon to do so.
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm planning to shoot and carry my Kel-Tecs alot more this summer. The Berry's plated 71 grain slug works quite well and duplicates factory ball.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I just loaded a couple of hundred rounds for my 1964 Walther PP. I used some Hunter 77 gr. bullets sized down from .313" to .311" (my Walthers bore is .309") ahead of 2.0 grs. N-310. Cycles everytime and is accurate to boot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If you have a 25 ACP gun the 32 ACP is better.

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=Outpost75;4840449]I am told by people who bought the new repros, that the mags provided are not up to WW2 original Colt standards, and are made by Triple-K. /QUOTE]

I don't think that this is quite true. I have both Triple K magazines, and the Colt over-runs from their sadly abortive re-run of the 1903's. The Triple K magazines weigh about 45 grains less than the new, and are made from thinner steel (~585 grains vs. ~630 grains, and ~.0285 vs. ~.0301, additionally, the followers are different as well. However, I have no complaints with either brand: the examples I have are equally reliable in either of my 1903's. The original Colt mag that I have was Nickle-plated and consequently weighs more than either.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I and the misses are proud owners and shooters of her grandfathers pistols, some of them. To shoot a CZ 32 made during the German occupation from (as far as numbers correspond) late 1942, early 1943, is a wonderful thing. It is a fun caliber to shoot, steeped in history, and really a pretty gun to lay eyes on. Happy this thread got a bump. Now, awaiting a magazine for a beretta model 100. Backordered until who knows when with triple k.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234