RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifying the Lee APP

Boolit Master

Modifying the Lee APP

Well actually some of the accessories.

I've been thinking about cutting the shell/bullet feeder tube bases apart; separating one size from the other. Have four instead of 2. Maybe even getting another set if the need arises for same size different length needed situations.

Getting different length bolts of different lengths so you don't have 3 inches of thread to run the nuts up and down.

Havent' done it yet, but seriously considering it.

Anybody been thinking about any other mods they would make to this machine/accessories?
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I bought some shorter bolts. Best cheap fix so far !
    All I'm doing for now is sizing PC'd boolets. A pain to have to unscrew that long bolt to switch diameters.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    The shorter bolts are a good idea and wing nuts simplify adjustment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The shorter bolts are a good idea and wing nuts simplify adjustment.
    Is there plenty of room for wingnuts?

I'll have to check that out.

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    Is there plenty of room for wingnuts?

I'll have to check that out.
    I better wait and see I may have spoken to soon should get mine today , I use wing nuts on the Lee 4 tube case feeder on other presses I have and have had.
    Ha ! UPS brought it while I was posting this.

Boolit Master
    The 3 extra shell holders that I ordered with the press are the style with out the grove for a high primer the 3 packaged with the press are the style with the grove for a high primer .
    Any way this is a late Christmas present bought with a gift card from my kids , so today is Christmas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2AADD531-D371-4158-82A8-53B232455299.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The 3 extra shell holders that I ordered with the press are the style with out the grove for a high primer the 3 packaged with the press are the style with the grove for a high primer .
    Any way this is a late Christmas present bought with a gift card from my kids , so today is Christmas
    I have some shell plate that are not grooved also.
    I couldn't find the "deluxe" in stock so I ordered just the press and an automation kit.

It cost me about 25-30 extra, plus some non updated shell plates.

I think there is room on the bottom, but not the top.

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    A wing nut will fit on the case / bullet feeder mount depending on the wing nut size , if the pivot bolt on the press linkage will reverse putting the nut on the right side will give even more room for the wing nut.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0EBCC98B-E309-4ADD-BE17-F9E6EF70B425.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	257556

Boolit Master
    Ran into a new one today:

On the down stroke my spring started flexing, the slider wasn't sliding. I WAS de-priming some pretty dirty cases and some dirt may have gotten some dirt may have gotten into the grooves,
    I took everything apart, brushed out the slider and put some graphite on it.It was still bending the spring.
    Easy solution: I put a 60 thousandths spring wire in it. Put a sort hook on one end and put it in from the top. Problem solved.

Almost filled a bottle with spent primers doing 45 colt and 45 ACP.

I thought I got all of em when I first got it, but found a couple of jugs hidden away.

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    Can't wait to get mine - on backorder

Once I get it I'll start looking at obvious mods that I can do with 3d prints - https://www.thingiverse.com/pastera/designs

Case feeders and spacers to set the correct height for each case type is a priority

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    Well actually some of the accessories.

I've been thinking about cutting the shell/bullet feeder tube bases apart; separating one size from the other. Have four instead of 2. Maybe even getting another set if the need arises for same size different length needed situations.

Getting different length bolts of different lengths so you don't have 3 inches of thread to run the nuts up and down.
    I been working with mine today and both of those look like good ideas .
    Having the bolt in place the length needed would speed setup . On the Lee case feeders in the past I would double nut the the nut that sets the height so it would maintain adjustment for the case length when removed and then the wing nut on the bottom to simplify mounting.
    I think I am going to like it . I got it mounted and deprimed about 300 45 auto and about 900 9mm the more I use it the fewer issues I have running nice and smooth for the last few hundred.

Boolit Buddy
    I setup the APP to decap some 9mm today

Found that if you set the height of the case feeder to the correct height, the nut interferes with the riser.

No reason for the riser to be as wide as it is so I'm going to make some that are the correct height for each case I reload and are not wider than necessary
    That along with case specific spacers for the case feeder should remove any chance of interference.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4201779

Boolit Master

Hi all,
    I also posted this on the other APP thread, but thought you might like it as well. The short version is I made a soda bottle adapter to use instead of the pretty bottle they sent with the kit.
    Ed

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4222678

Boolit Master

New Mods for the APP

Hi all,
    Made another couple of mods. Details posted on the other thread here. I made an extension handle for the APP and also made a case catcher diverter by modifying a square funnel from Amazon. I also published these on Thingiverse (links below.)
    Ed

Lee APP Extension handle

Name:	Lee APP - 06.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	258974

Case catcher diverter

Name:	Lee APP - 10.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	258975

Boolit Master
    Looks like good ideas, although neither fit my needs. I don't do 9 mm and the handle as is doesn't bother me at all.

I realize the handle is a personal preference and differences do arise. Looks like a nice solution.

Rick C.

My needs may be different still......I wanted the APP to deprime and swage military rifle brass, both .223 and .308......and I ran into to some problems that needed to be improved upon......feeding long cases isn't as trouble free as feeding short pistol brass. The long cases don't fall straight....especially the lighter .223. So I made 1 7/8" drop tubes out of rigid thin wall that press fits into the bottom outlet holes of my 4 tube feeder. Below:

You have to raise the feeder 2", but the feeder screws are plenty long. Picture of each below....the .308 is 9/16 O.D. tubing, the .223 is 7/16" O.D. tubing with two turns of aluminum tape on the top 1/2" to make it press fit tight into the smaller outlet hole.

The object is to surround the cases tighter stabilizing the cases on top of the shuttle and controlling the fall better to the rail.

The .308 drop tube is demoed in the video below:

the smaller lighter .223 was still giving some stabilization problems and I discovered that the bevel the cases go over at the end of the shuttle just before they drop was the problem......the fix was to use a Dremel sanding drum and grind the bevel off.

Above, picture shows the bevel that exists on every shuttle piggy-back
    Below, picture shows the bevel ground off on the tall piggy-back

Below, the video of the .223 going through much better using the drop tube and the de-beveled shuttle:

Last edited by GWS; 03-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    My needs may be different still......I wanted the APP to deprime and swage military rifle brass, both .223 and .308......and I ran into to some problems that needed to be improved upon......feeding long cases isn't as trouble free as feeding short pistol brass. The long cases don't fall straight....especially the lighter .233. So I made 1 7/8" drop tubes out of rigid thin wall that press fits into the bottom outlet holes of my 4 tube feeder. Below:

Attachment 259291

You have to raise the feeder 2", but the feeder screws are plenty long. Picture of each below....the .308 is 9/16 O.D. tubing, the .223 is 7/16" O.D. tubing with two turns of aluminum tape on the top 1/2" to make it press fit tight into the smaller outlet hole.

The object is to surround the cases tighter stabilizing the cases on top of the shuttle and controlling the fall better to the rail.

The .308 drop tube is demoed in the video below:

the smaller lighter .223 was still giving some stabilization problems and I discovered that the bevel the cases go over at the end of the shuttle just before they drop was the problem......the fix was to use a Dremel sanding drum and grind the bevel off.

Attachment 259289
    Above, picture shows the bevel on each shuttle piggy back
    Below, picture shows the bevel ground off on the tall piggy back
    Attachment 259290

Below, the video of the .223 going through much better using the drop tube and the de-beveled shuttle:
    Hmmmm. I wonder if making quick attach/detach drop tubes of different length would be better than having different length bolts???

Have one setting for case feeder height and have different drop tubes for different brass lengths.

Rick C.

That was actually the reason I made both drop tubes the same length. So now I have One setting height for the feeder for both rifle cases. I've been playing around with ways to make the feeder attachment bolts easier for to change calibers.....see the picture below:

Notice the depth of the cutout? This one is for .308. The cutout for the .223 obviously, is much lower. (IOW's I use the same tall piggy back on the shuttle for both)

Instead of a long bolt, I'm trying a short one with a long coupling nut fastener below......then I can just use an all-thread below that, a locktighted nut above the base attachment point, then another coupling nut at the bottom. Why the second coupling nut at the bottom? I find that it is way easier to tighten such a nut under the press....no room for my hands and a wing nut under there. Trying to keep my sanity until I find a true quick-change solution.

While the tubes can be the same length, the diameters work best with the least sideways wiggle room for the cases. The cut-out height at the bottom, so that the cases can advance past, are obviously dependent on case height....as low as I can make them. That, along with the bevel gon, the result is a very stable vertical fall to the slide.
    Last edited by GWS; 03-29-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Master

A mod of the mod!

Hi all,
    I posted previously of the bottle soda cap adapter I printed 3D to use soda bottles instead of the pretty jar Lee includes with the APP. Well, I tweaked it to now have Soda threads on both ends so you can put the cap back on the adapter and store your primer bottle until it fills up. It's available on Thingiverse here.
    Ed

Name:	Coupler1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	259564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coupler2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	259565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soda adapter 4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	259566

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast