Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite gun ?

probably my ruger mk II or my ruger 10/22.

Something about carrying a 22 LR that is just too fun.

My shorty 16 in AR-15 now that is has a decent optic on it though might turn the whole situation on its head.

Boolit Master

A gun, if only one.

How about Ruger takes that little hammerless lever action and puts a 22 inch 327 Ruger barrel on it with a walnut stock and a nice little detachable rotary magazine. I think that would be the cat's meow, classy and modern at the same time.

I can't decide.

.22 rf rifle Ruger 10/22RR w/ Tasco 6x24x42 telescope

.22 handgun Ruger Mark II 6-7/8" tapered barrel

CF handgun S&W K38 Model 14 w/ Aristocrat Rib

CF Rifle Pre-War Model 70 Standard rifle in 270 WCF

Military rifle Rem 1903-A3, Springfiels M1 or 1896 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

AR15A2 Rock River NM rifle.

Lever rifle Rossi .44 mag blued carbine, I shoot nothing but FFFG GOEX and 240 gr Lyman Cowboy bullets in it.
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Here in Peru my 1892 44-40 winny SRC 18 " barrel. .433 220 grain soft cast and powered with usually 8 but up to 10 grains Unique. Fantasticly accurate !
    Up in Illinois any single shot 38... but I find my old Ballard 38-50 with a 250 soft cast 40 grains 2f with some Cow on top. Groundhogs and cayotes are easy shots out to 70 yards and I tend to crawl through the ditches and thickets after them.
    God Bless you !

Boolit Master
    NEF Handi rifle in 357 mag. A Williams peep sight and a front sight for a NEF 22 hornet. Total will probably be between $250 and $275 at today's prices. I haven't priced the lately. I have two one with the plastic stock and one with wood. The wood one has been cut down to a 16.5 inch barrel and the stock shortened and thinned to get the balance right. Shorty lives in my truck except during deer season when it gets loaned out to friends with small children. A five year old girl killed a spike during this years youth hunt with it. Two jumps and it piled up.
    The Rossi youth set has been tempting me lately. The local pawn shop has some on the rack for $150 22 lr and 410. I have absolutely no use for it, no place to put it and other things to do with the money. Think I can hold out till March?
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

In Remebrance

Find a Savage 23 in 23-20 or 25-20. Easily scoped, accurate, nice on the eyes. Can't miss!

Not counting a 22 bolt or lever (ie Marlin 39a, or my Winchester 310, or 69A), I'd suggest the following "wood loafer cast bullet rifles":

Rem 788 in 30-30, possibly 308 Win

Rem 600/660 (I forget the difference between the two, but I like the one without the ventilated barrel-whatever model it is).

Marlin 336 sporting carbine in either 30-30 or 35 Rem (I'd look for one with "character", used but not abused. One with ballard rifling, and even one that has been drilled and tapped for scope-it will be lower price too. 20" barrel is handy. Thin receiver is easy to carry.

For a custom job, I've been thinking of the bolt action CZ originally in 7.62 x 39, and making a 357 magnum out of it (rebarrel, and modify the detachable magazine to handle rimmed cartridges. The bolt face would match up pretty close for either cartridge. It would be a fun little squirrel-close deer gun.

If you get lucky, you may find a Savage model 23 in 25-20, 32-20.

A simple one (lower cost) would be a NEF break open single shot in 30-30 or 357 mag.

A lever actioned Marlin 1894 with ballard rifling would be good too (357, 44 mag, 45 colt). I just wish Marlin would spend a little more time in matching bore diameters to bullet diameters (particularly the 44 mag running large-like .432" and bullets being .429", and offering faster twists in the 44 mag-1:38" is too slow.)

I had a Rem 788 in 30-30, with a nice walnut stock in great shape. It shot cast bullets great. My typical story, "Someone wanted it more that I did, and put a decent hunk of money in front of me." Wish I never sold it.

Boolit Master

My favorite is my .375 winchester BB with a 26 inch octagon barrel, but then there is my 45-70 all my 30-30's from 20-26 inch barrels and then all the others so I guess my favorite is the one I take out today

Boolit Master
    I second the idea of a Marlin or other lever gun in a revolver cartridge ..... I have a Marlin 94 in .357 ....... a .44 would be better for me.

And the idea of a Contender is very good.

As for the .25-20 or .32-20 in a Savage 23 or Marlin 27 .......... rotts of ruck finding one ..... but if you can swing it ..... more power to you!!

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy

This is always fun to do, like my screen name says, I would choose a 45 or a 30-30, but one round that really gets under my skin is a 22 Hornet, never had one. A levergun in this would be something. New moulds, alloys, try a bag of shot for primer only plinker rounds, new data to start looking at, and tons of dumb questions to ask. Sounds fun.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

My favourite? It would have to be the rifle I haven't bought yet or found. The gun would be a .303 British built with a mauser action. Gun would mirror the length of a Jungle Carbine. Great old cartridge that is capable.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Just for kicking about in the woods...I carry my Savage Model 23 in 25-20....easy to load for,,,easy and accurate to shoot out to 100 yards.....can easily be scoped,,,,light weight

If I want to carry any more Iron then I also strap on my S&W K22

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Bob, we can add a barrel tuner to that gun of your dreams, and have it shaped like the flash suppressor. Now, wouldn't that be somethin'. ... felix

P.S. We can allow the Next Week Corporation build it for you!
    Last edited by felix; 01-17-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    felix

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123