Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
    http://

This rifle has an older Butler Creek stock that elongates the shoulder to trigger length, making it fit me well. Short, powerful, acurate (mine is!) with low recoil and fast follow-up - perfect woods rifle.

Recently I picked up a Lee 155g mould for it and I'm modifying the tip into a wide metplat by using a FP top punch in the sizer. If I can get them to shoot as good as the j-word boolits all will be right with the world and I'll never go back to j-words.
    I have one of those older Butler Creek stocks, and like it, but unfortunately, I never had a Mini-30 that shot very well at all. I agree that they are fun, and would be more fun if accurate like yours. Anyone shoot one of the new ones?

Boolit Buddy

Favorite gun

My favorite cast boolit gun would be a Contender carbine in 30-30. A close second would be an old Savage 340 in 30-30. Both are very accurate with a variety of cast loads from gallery level to full power.

Boolit Master

Lots of good choices, but

The current politically correct situations tend to rule out a black rifle. So my choice would be a slightly modified MARLIN lever gun in 357 or 44 magnum; possibly a 30/30 as second or third choice. You catch a lot less BS with a "cowboy rifle"...an innocent "lever action like my dad had" than an AR-15 or Mini-14 with a 20 round magazine. Perception is reality, unfortunately.

Let's start with the modifications.
    1. Cut barrel to 16.5 (or buy one of the unported shorties...if you can find one.)
    2. Install sling swivels.
    3. Install some type of receiver sight...I've got older LYMAN 66s; the newer ones are drawing some criticism. The Skinner sights or XS are good. OR possible a lower power scope. I have a 30/30 enroute from a gunbroker auction with a 2.5 BUSHNELL that may find itself on a 44.
    4. Possibly have the action tuned to prevent the dreaded "MARLIN JAM" and a better trigger.

Marlinowners.con web site will give you links for the vendors/gunsmiths needed OR instructions for the do-it-yourself types.

Your choice of calibers should be based on your locale, game animals you might encounter, hostile critters of any species in the area, etc. While a 357 is not a bad choice, my choice is the 44 magnum and then the 30/30. As a reloader I view the larger calibers as more versatile for my purposes. (I think I bought some factory ammo about 15 years ago.) Cost with lead boolits is no big factor...your maximum cost would be under $.20 a round.

You'll have to finish the list now. I've got you started with something "light, lethal and politically correct," and not likely to excite "little old ladies of either sex." You don't want to arouse the anti gun people needlessly...they do it to themselves more than enough times.

Boolit Master
    my henry big boy .45l.c.
    it wasnt cheap though....
    got it for my 45th b-day
    (i had to pay for it myself )

lil ole ladies LIKE this gun!

Boolit Master
    Hey Bud, you make a guy make some tough choices. #1 choice would definetly be my CZ in 7.62x39. With that I am set up for everything from cottontails to deer and maybe black bears. It is light, accurate and has a fantastic single set trigger. Definetlly the best deal on the market. #2 would be my #3 Ruger in 3040 Krag. Just as versatile as the CZ but better for bigger game. It is just a little heavier but maybe even more accurate and has a trigger that is just under pounds. A number of good choices after that. Top choices would be my Savage @19 chambered to 3030 followed by both Marlin and Winchester 3030's. My particular favorite rambling gun however is not the most accurate or most any thing. It is an ancient Marlin Model 27 chambered for the good old 25.20 round. There are very few wrong choices Neil

Favorite #1

I love to cast and reload ,however my favorite gun is a S&W Mod 18 22cal with target hammer and trigger, just a joy to shoot.----Papa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
    I love to cast and reload ,however my favorite gun is a S&W Mod 18 22cal with target hammer and trigger, just a joy to shoot.----Papa
    SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC, BUT PERTINENT

You're right. I like carrying a 5.5 inch RUGER single action in 357 or 44...currently Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS...shoot them daily on my own property. Luckily we have Concealed Carry permits in Missouri...need to get one since the big rush has slowed now. The cardiologist wants me to walk more and every rural house seems to have big dogs running loose and wanting to chew on someone walking down the county road. It used to be fun when I rode the big Appaloosa horse...he could kick a dog into next week when it nipped at his back feet! "Oh, I'm sorry your dog attacked me on a county road. Would you like to fill out a police report on why he wasn't on a leash and how he got injured for your insurance company?"

BUT depending where you're walking around, you can get "even more grief" carrying a pistol than if you were packing a BLACK RIFLE. We can discuss things logically here, but the general public...especially the BLUE STATERS...is getting less informed, more anti-gun, and anti-hunting. People like us generally aren't politically active...don't join a lot of organizations beyond NRA...we're the sleeping giant that keeps gun control a fantasy most places, BUT we're getting older and less younger people are in agreement with us. It will take a couple more generations UNLESS there are major changes in society, culture, whatever...and from the looks of rappers, hip-hop, etc, the changes are going the wrong way.

You know where I'm coming from because it's your experience...or that of a friend or relative. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Boolit Grand Master

My Favorite South of most Borders

This Winchester 1892 SRC 44-40 made in 1893 has been with me for 12 years now. I carry it as often as I can on my 2 wheeler and in hand around the local desert area. The 18 inch barrel and large bore make it light weight and handy. 9 grains Unique with a 225 .434 SWC (Saeco 443) gives it a good close range power. Plenty accurate out to 100 yards if needed.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 01-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to throw this one into the mix since no one has mentioned them yet. How about a Savage 24, preferably one of the older ones with a wood stock, (before they went to synthetics and handled like a club) While they are definitely not pretty, but every one I've shot has been a tack driver on the rifle tube, crappy trigger and all. They can be had in a 30-30/12 ga. Or one of the older Baikal's when they used to make a .308/12 ga if you want a little more uummph.

-Klaus

I've always had a hankering for a 92 Winchester in 25-20WCF for some reason...Can't explain it, don't need it, but I want one.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

My Favorite Gun, is my Original 1887 Winchester 12 gauge, that my lovely Katie bought me for Valentine's Day two years ago. 30" Barrel. Love to Stock it and Smoke it. Katie's is her Baby, A 4" GP100.

Sam
    Last edited by Muddy Creek Sam; 11-17-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Dyslexic Fingers!
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master

I think that the NEF Handi-rifle in 30-30 would be a great 'walkin-around' gun.

I have one of the older ones in .357 Maxi and it is a fun gun to plink with, with cast boolits.

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Just can't make-up my mind!

http://

Varmint rifle.........Win70 .223 Lepold 6.5X20
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Boolit Master
    A Marlin 1894 in 357 is a nice little rifle . Reloading stuff is everywhere and it is cheep to shoot. Will work on deer and tree rats and everything in between.

My favorite fun gun is a Savage 23 in 25-20, everyone that shoots it wants to take it home.

beemer

Moderator Emeritus

NH, I think I know where you're coming from.
    I spent many years in the supermag hunt, combat shoot, whizz bang long fast super-powder triple primer phase.

What I found that I really enjoy now, pistol cals in the 92 Win action.
    I have 357, 44mag, and 45colt. I can load up or down as suites my mood and I really love that handy little action.

Word of caution...........DON'T LET YOU'R WIFE SHOOT THEM OR YOU'LL BE BUYING DOUBLE.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    A 99 in any cal . A SS #1 is like a Porsche with Cragar wheels ick . But difference of opinions makes horse races . I like a huge variety for the reason of pure fickleness . James

Boolit Buddy

Have to say my Howa 1500 in 338 Win mag. Sub moa groups @ 100 with factory Rem Core lokt 225grns. Potent medicine for 4 legged OR 2 legged critters..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Buddy
    Savage 24f .223 over 3" 12 gauge. Thare is'nt anything in Iowa that it will not kill.With the proper load of couse.Heavy trigger pull, lots of weight. Just loaded it in the fourrunner for the week-end. It will speak, mouse loads for rabbit and squirrel , a half dozen 1.5 oz 5's for a possible pheasant, three 50 gr .225415's for maybe a coyote at 2000fps. O and 1 00 buckshot load for just in case. After the Ruger Old Army runs dry. Which I dou'et.

My current favorite is a remington model 241 22lr take-down, made in 1948. I can hit empty shotshells at 25 yards effortlessly. It's based on the Browning auto22 design, with loading through the side of the stock and bottom ejection. At 60 yards offhand, my brother in law and I both can hit clay pidgeons with it. (unscoped of course) The bbl reads " 22 long rifle-smokeless greased"

Boolit Master

I guess my current favorite gun is a Longbranch 1950 No.4 Mk.1* using the Lyman 314299. I can't tell you why, I just enjoy shooting it and loading those lead boolits.

Skeet1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast