RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions

Boolit Grand Master
    Great find.
    Knew someone who worked at a goodwill here.
    She said the manager would throw out anything to do with firearms or military history.
    Manager said it was company policy.

Boolit Master

Great book!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Great find.
    Knew someone who worked at a goodwill here.
    She said the manager would throw out anything to do with firearms or military history.
    Manager said it was company policy.
    Just one more reason to avoid Goodwill. The one nearest me was located in an empty Walmart building. It recently built a huge new building in a growing area. Couldn't have been cheap. I take all our excess stuff(none gun related) to a local charity shop run by volunteers. Going this weekend to help paint the old building.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I have Donnelly's book, The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions. I also have Ken Howell's book Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges. Of the two, I prefer Howell's book.

I had forgotten the criticism of Donnelly's book about the drawings. I also can't remember much about the drawings in Howell's book but I do remember they are pictorially correct. I can't be specific about why I prefer Howell's book, I just do. Not a very satisfying reason, is it?
    Sure it is. We all have preferences and likes, especially when it comes to the transfer of information. It either gets across to you, or it doesn't and that's the author's job.

After many years of reading mechanical blueprints, I EXPECT an accurate pictorial representation of the part along with dimensions. Most Lyman reloading books are a good example, having a drawing of the assembled cartridge with dimensions. Having to switch to a "list of dimensions" is time consuming and distracting. It's still a good book though, and a welcome addition to any reloader's library.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto303 View Post
    My wife forced me to go shopping with her at Goodwill today. I really hate shopping as it seems to me I do a lot of watching her shop, but I got lucky today. I decided to check the used books and found a rare treasure. It is Maj George C. Nontes "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions". I couldn't believe it and it only cost me a whopping $3.00. I'm stoked. Wanted this book for years. Now if I could find some Earl Naramore's "Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition". I guess I shouldn't be so resistant to going with her.
    I was happy to get a copy for $40 recently. It's not an easy find. Lucky you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    The library at the University of Pennsylvania has a copy. You could try your local library and ask about their inter or intra library loan consortium. They may be able to get it to you to read. I found it interesting.
    There are PDF copies on the internet, too. Try archive.org.

Boolit Master

Got mine from the old Outdoor Life book club! Bought many books from them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12