Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9x18 Factory Crimp necessary?

Boolit Buddy
    I think we scared away the OP with all the bickering about a FCD.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    I think we scared away the OP with all the bickering about a FCD.
    Nah. Just overseas on client network that doesn’t allow access to firearms sites. Non-limited internet from room was spotty. Sitting in Istanbul in Turkish Air business lounge (HIGHLY recommend - best ever seen) and catching up.

I bought one to be safe. That said, I’m going to teach myself to not depend on it, especially with cast boolits (still have to buy mold). If I decide need 100 percent reliability, for self defense load, then it seems FCD is wise.

Thanks for all the advice. And the bickering? Compared to the model airplane guys this is nothing!

Frank
    Last edited by franklin_m; 02-22-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    A new reloader using cast lead bullets and tries an FCD is more often than not falling into poor shooting loads, frustration, and just rotten performance. I know it doesn't happen every time a new reloader is talked into using an FCD, but often enough to see many questions in reloading forums. Why can't experienced reloaders just tell new reloaders to use the correct tools, adjusted correctly and not rely on band aid fixes?

I just have a huge pet peeve about telling new reloaders "don't find your problem, just hide it"...
    Now that is well said and I must agree !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The idea of "adjusting your dies" to get good crimps is a great plan and works well - IF all of our cases are exactly the same length! Otherwise, ... not so much. But we can adjust a standard crimper so it works reasonably well most of the time.

Sadly, few neck lengths are perfect and not many of us want to trim auto cases just so a conventional crimper can work good. Lee's FCD's work well on both bottleneck rifle and straight walled pistol cases even if the lengths aren't identicle.

Pay your money and take your choice, it all goes BANG!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the input. I am just starting to reload 9x18 i have everything i need to start . I have been reloading less then a year and have had sucess with my other reloads ( 9mm, 380 acp)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
    I’m new to reloading. I just ordered a set of Lee Makarov dies and I’m wondering if I also need the factory crimp die. I read some places that the seating die also crimps. But in other places I see conflicting info.

If someone wouldn’t mind, help me understand when a factory crimp dies is required? Assume Lee dies.
    I’ve been reloading 9 x 18 for years. I reloaded close to the same amount that some folks reload 9 x 19 (thousands )The short answer is do you absolutely need it no I highly recommend that you get one though. Don’t know what you’re shooting it out of beer and Makarov, a Random, or a Czech. CZ. But most guns that are chambered for 9 x 18 are forgiving with the CZ being the least so. The factory crimp die makes things a lot easier! If I was you I would certainly pick one up.
    Are you making your own brass from 9x19 yet? It’s a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to find factory Makarov brass. If you have any questions or just want to talk send me a PM.
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Does Lee make a Factory Crimp die for the 9x18 Mak? You may have to cut a mm off the base of the 9x19 die?
    9x19 die won't work for a Makarov because the Makarov bullet is .010 larger than the 9MM or .380. The Makarov case won't even go into the 9MM die because the sizing ring in the Lee Die is .01 too small.

Hope this clears this up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Does Lee make a Factory Crimp die for the 9x18 Mak? You may have to cut a mm off the base of the 9x19 die?
    Yes Lee makes a factory crimp die for 9x18 Makarov. You can’t do as you suggested. 9x19 is a tapered case. 9x18 Makarov is straight walled. 9x19 bullet .354, 9x18 .364. That’s why you make 9x18 brass from fired 9x19 think of as fire formed. You then trim off 1mm. While a 9x18 loaded round might initially fit in a 9 x 19 factory crimp die (I don’t know for Sure never tried) it would I certainly swage, or attempt to swage and become stuck ( never tried that either )the round down two 9 x 19 diameter. Hope that makes sense to you, it made the sense to me when I was typing it! Lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

You defiantly do not need Lee factory crimp dies to load working ammunition, I did so for many years.
    So, do I think FCDs are a piece of crap? Well, I'm not going to tell you.
    What I will tell you is I own a FCD for about every caliber I reload.
    I guess I must like them, you may not, everyone is different, thank God!

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - LISTEN to 44MagLeo......

Boolit Master

I've never used a Lee factory crimp die for pistol rounds but see how they could be useful. One of the issues with the 9x18 mak is that the pistols chambered for it very quite a bit in bore size. While I don't have a huge breadth of experience, the three I've loaded for have ranged from .363 to .366. My concern would be leading from undersize bullets if you are loading for the more generous bore size AND the carbide crimp die sizes down your cast bullet. Perhaps someone could speak to this. Other commonly reloaded cartridges may not have this large of a bore variance.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Personally I think FCD is great for cast boolits. I was having hangups in my CZ's in 9x19 before I started using an FCD from Lee. With jacketed I don't use it. I use it in my Makarov loads with cast or plated boolits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12