Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote – 0 .32ACP -1

Boolit Master
    It’s funny how my phone and a guys at work both went blank two days apparat. They where both three years old or a little bit older and apple 7 phones. Both phones just have the apple icon on the screen and won’t do anything.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    It’s funny how my phone and a guys at work both went blank two days apparat. They where both three years old or a little bit older and apple 7 phones. Both phones just have the apple icon on the screen and won’t do anything.
    Pre-programmed failure is designed into every Apple product to sell you a new device when a more expensive model comes out.

My ten-year-old Samsung Galaxy 7 is still going strong with some minor software upgrades and patches.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have a Galaxy 7 as well. I like it, but not Google...

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a riddle: What does a .32 ACP Colt Pocket Hammerless (shooting Outpost75's hot XTP loads) have in common with a .38 Special snubby (shooting target wadcutters) and a .45 ACP 1911 Colt (shooting GI hardball)?

Boolit Grand Master
    My guess: same or similar wound mass.

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    Here's a riddle: What does a .32 ACP Colt Pocket Hammerless (shooting Outpost75's hot XTP loads) have in common with a .38 Special snubby (shooting target wadcutters) and a .45 ACP 1911 Colt (shooting GI hardball)?
    32 ACP+P 100 HdyXTP
    Attachment 280794

Old School 158 LRN .38 Special
    Attachment 280795

.45 ACP Hardball
    Attachment 280797

Factory .38 Special soft swaged wadcutter from 2-in snub, riveted nose
    Attachment 280809Attachment 280808

IGNORE Attached thumbnail graph which has data input error regarding bullet diameter!
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-04-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

OK I'll bite

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    What is it, depth of penetration?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    What is it, depth of penetration?
    Wound displacement.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    OP 75, many years ago I was attracted to the Browning 1922. I picked one up in a convoluted trade but didn’t want to really do any hard work with it because it was a very nice Nazi marked bring back, complete with holster and one of the mags numbered to the gun... so it got traded.

Then I got an almost complete parts gun with the idea of replacing the missing front sight with one compatible with the little adjustable MMC type I hoped to use on the rear. I don’t remember the specifics, but that one went away in some sort of deal when somebody thought their plans for it were worth more than I was willing to put into it at the time.

A couple of decades later I have had a couple of 380s but never got around to getting another 32 ACP, so now I have to ask, would it be productive to head in this direction again or would you suggest another possibility. The European 380 I have had experience was a Femaru... the Nazis took over production during the war and had them altered to 32... I’ve toyed with the idea of trying to find one of those(?)

Comments?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    My Mom had a 1950s-1960s era Walther PP in .32 and it was an amazing shooter. I'll agree that the .32 is an underrated cartridge.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    They look like fun, but I’d go insane looking for my fired brass.

Boolit Master
    That's the main reason I sold my 1903. Great little guns and almost perfect CCW size shape.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold

Red face

Today I tried another Outpost-recommended load, the Hornady 85 grain XTP-HP.

This bullet was loaded over 3.0 grain of new production Winchester Autocomp, in new Privi cases set off with a Fiocchi small pistol primer. This ball powder weighs in right on the money with thrown charges in the Dillon 550 RL progressive adjustable measure, using the optional micro powder bar. Cases were crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die, as the .312" bullet in the thick Euro cases will occasionally set a slight bulge when seated. Rounds were seated to 0.950" as the barrel of my new re-issue Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless has a very short throat, and I did not want any rifling engagement. All rounds dropped into the .32 ACP check gauge easily.

10 rounds chronographed at 10 feet: 1020 fps, SD 8, FPE 196.

Recoil was not alarming, no bulging of cases, primers normal without flattening or cratering. Group @21 feet was 3/4" and POI +1/2", dead center.

Very pleased with this load. 100% reliable in this short test. Performance exceeds factory .32 H&R Magnum out of a 3" barrel, and equals handloaded performance with the same bullet. In the latter @ 998 fps, this bullet penetrates 17" of ballistic gel and expands to .40".

Tested another Outpost-inspired load I've used previously, consisting of Meister 78 grain RNL under 2.0 grains of Titegroup with CCI 500 primer, loaded to 0.940".

10 rounds chronographed at 10 feet: 907 fps, SD 15, FPE 142.

This load is mild in the M1903 and shoots dead nuts on @ 21 feet. Completely reliable in the 100 rounds or so I've shot.

Great loads!

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting. I had a similar experience years ago with a lucky shot. We had chickens at the time and a fox had been eating a few but I could never catch it. One morning I was pulling out of my driveway to go to work and I saw Mr. fox across the road at 80 paces. All I had with me was my 38 snub nose but I figured I could at least scare him a bit. At the shot, the fox dropped and expired. It was nearly a perfect heart shot. I couldn’t make that shot again in 100 years!
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Nice work on the coyote.
    Used a .32ACP Bernadelli with 6" barrel for camp meat, Lyman #313249.
    Loved it.

Boolit Grand Master
    One thing that gets little comment, so it may be that my experience is atypical, is that 32's in my experience are less prone to malfunction than similar pistols in 380.

Years back, I had a Nazi marked 32 PPK that was perfectly reliable and never gave me any trouble. Foolishly, I drank the 45 ACP "coolade" and sold it and that remains a regrettable decision. In the 90's, I bought a PPK/s 380 that was not the trouble-free icon its older brother had been. It had an annoying habit of flicking the safety on when the slide slammed rearward under recoil. Likewise, I can think of several other 380's that came and went that were not all that and a bag of chips. But I can honestly say that the only really bad 32 I ever had was a Bernadelli that struggled to empty a magazine without a jam. And I currently have 8, a 1909 manufacture Savage, another from 1919, a 1913 Colt, a second from 1926-27, a Browning 1922, a Beretta 81, a Tomcat and a Browning 1955. If a stainless 32 PPK came my way, I might be tempted to add to the herd.

The only one that has a problem is the older Savage; the magazine is damaged, so that while it is fine when used with the newer guns magazine, it has jammed on occasion, usually the fourth or 5th shot using the original magazine. Someday I will find a replacement magazine that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and all will be right with the world.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have an FEG .32acp. I haven't reloaded for it but plan to this summer. I have a lyman 75gr rn and plan to use 700x. Its a walther clone and very reliable and accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve loaded up to 100g slugs in 32acp with 2400, Blue Dot and IMR Blue. My Beretta 81 loves the heavy boolit loads.

Later,
    Stephen

Boolit Master

Congratulations on your 1903 and your shooting.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Flat-nosed bullets don't "flip," but provide straight-line penetration, which may be an advantage. They also provide more "crush" than a round nose and are less easily deflected by oblique impacts against bone. But the Winchester FMJ loads are loaded to lower velocity than the Euro FMJs, so it is an "apples vs. oranges" comparison.

Typical Euro 73-77 grain hardball in .32 ACP typically does a 180-degree "flip" during its first 6-8" of soft-target penetration, continuing base-first to cause more damage than its kinetic energy would suggest. FMJ bullets in .32 ACP and .380 tend to bounce around inside the body cavity "like a billard ball", rather than penetrating in a straight path "rather making a mess of things" according to a shooting buddy and former West Pointer who served his surgical residency at the Washington Hospital Center (DC) and gained hands-on experience with the victims of gang bangers and dopers before being detailed to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, where he was mentored by Marty Fackler. My hunting buddy these days is retired from the Army and an orthopaedic surgeon in private practice. He says that the pelvic floor adjacent the groin area is only about 4.5mm thick, so a double-tap to the lateral pelvis with .32 ACP hardball causes massive damage, and extensive bleeding accompanied by level of pain which is generally incapacitating to all the most hardened opponents.

My real Made in Italy 95-grain FMJ in .380 ACP gives me 985 fps from a 3.4" barrel Beretta M1934 and 1012 fps from my SIG P230. US stuff is wimpy by comparison.

My 93-grain FMJ handloads in .32 ACP using the .308" Remington .30 Luger bullet with 3 grains of AutoComp give 930 fps from the 3.4" Beretta M1935 and 980 fps from the 3.8" Beretta 81. Very similar payload and velocity to the .380 ACP.

I get similar velocities loading the 90-grain Hornady .309" XTP hollowpoint in the .32 ACP with the same charge. First 5 rounds in the mag and up the pipe are XTPs, the rest of the mag heavy-ball, because if the fight is still on by then the other guy is probably hiding behind cover.
    Good post.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast