Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 22 Magnum cases

22 Magnum cases

Ok, whats the largest diameter projectile you guys have successfully made on 22 Magnum Cases?

Boolit Master

i use them for my 25-06
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Vendor Sponsor

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    I have made 6.5mm .264 dia and .268 . That is really the limit. They barely worked in a M96 . Under 2200 fps they a least shot. Above that no joy. Even had one break in half on the way to the target.

Boolit Buddy
    i have made up to .277 and .284 for low velocity. I make a little 90gr .277 bullet that i shoot in my 270REN at around 1100fps and I have made 140gr .284 bullets to shoot in a 7TCU at around 1400fps. Have not tried to push them any faster than that. The Jackets get pretty thin and a fast twist would probably cause them to come apart.

Bret

Boolit Master
    If there was a way to make short .310 jackets to be used to make bullets for 762x39 around 123 grains that would be awesome.

30 cal jackets are just too expensive to buy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    If there was a way to make short .310 jackets to be used to make bullets for 762x39 around 123 grains that would be awesome.

30 cal jackets are just too expensive to buy.
    You might want to take a look at the Corbin 9mm case to .308 jacket die:
    http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=jmkits

One can make 147/150 Grain bullets from jackets made using this die. The 147/150 Grain is about the max - depending on the brass manufacturer; some small amount of lead nose will be present at 150 grains.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

6.5 125 grain for a Grendel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200607_170559.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	263732

Who here is shooting 22 mag. at .20 a round when cast lead round for 22 hornet or 223 is 1/3 the price? Just saying.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Who here is shooting 22 mag. at .20 a round when cast lead round for 22 hornet or 223 is 1/3 the price? Just saying.
    They are making jacketed bullets from Range Pick up 22 mag brass. I have thousands in jugs that I have picked up over the years. I use the 22Mag and 17HMR jackets to make heavier/longer .224 bullets (70 to 90 grains). Requires trimming the "Jacket" after the rim is removed; but it allows a fully enclosed jacket vs a 22LR with a lot of lead exposed.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    They are making jacketed bullets from Range Pick up 22 mag brass. I have thousands in jugs that I have picked up over the years. I use the 22Mag and 17HMR jackets to make heavier/longer .224 bullets (70 to 90 grains). Requires trimming the "Jacket" after the rim is removed; but it allows a fully enclosed jacket vs a 22LR with a lot of lead exposed.
    Ok, that makes sense. I see it now.

Me for one, but mine are all in pistols.

Currently feeding 3, an Excel Accelerator 10 shot semi auto with a Red Dot sight.
    A Heritage Rough Rider with the adjustable sights (shoots REALLY nice)
    A NAA earl with 4" barrel, 5 shot hideout gun. You can hide that thing anywhere, up a sleeve, coat pocket, you name it.

Yes I have some revolvers that shoot .32sw longs just fine. But hey, variety is nice.

.22 hornet and .223rem don't come into it. Although I do load .223 for a single shot that is as quiet as a .22lr.

Reloads are nice but sometimes it is nice not to have to spend a few days casting and reloading to replace what you shoot up.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

40 cents a round here in Australia.... And we have a few guys who shoot it at the club.... I only get 50-100 cases a week... But i can say, my Grendel does like the projectiles Ive been making..... Great on feral cats...

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Me for one, but mine are all in pistols.

Currently feeding 3, an Excel Accelerator 10 shot semi auto with a Red Dot sight.
    A Heritage Rough Rider with the adjustable sights (shoots REALLY nice)
    A NAA earl with 4" barrel, 5 shot hideout gun. You can hide that thing anywhere, up a sleeve, coat pocket, you name it.

Yes I have some revolvers that shoot .32sw longs just fine. But hey, variety is nice.

.22 hornet and .223rem don't come into it. Although I do load .223 for a single shot that is as quiet as a .22lr.

Reloads are nice but sometimes it is nice not to have to spend a few days casting and reloading to replace what you shoot up.
    Out of curiosity, what Powder and projectile are you running in your 223 Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    40 cents a round here in Australia.... And we have a few guys who shoot it at the club.... I only get 50-100 cases a week... But i can say, my Grendel does like the projectiles Ive been making..... Great on feral cats...
    What ogive is your swage dies in 6.5? I want to get some dies and also make it for 6.5 Grendel. I am kind of surprised you had to have a lead tip. There is online store that sells 1.25" 6.5 jackets and when I asked what kind of bullet it would make and was told 140-150gr which is too heavy for me but 22wmr is over an inch I am surprised you can't have an open tip at this length and weight. Did you trim and make them from 17hmr?

You revived a 2+ year old thread.

The reason it can't have that much of an open cavity is the jacket will end up folding in in itself. It can have a cavity to a point but does need some core material when forming the ogive for support.

I actually Swage .264 and use 22 mag jackets. 120-125 gr on a 6s ogive fills the 22 mag case perfectly. 115gr to 120gr gives a very slight open tip on a 6s ogive.

Boolit Master

I make 6mm projectiles from 22Mag brass for my 6PPC because it uses lighter than regular 6mm bullets.
    Very time consuming but you get out of them what you put into them!

Frosted Boolits

Deleted. Sorry
    Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; 02-27-2023 at 11:55 PM.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

It is Possible to fabricate 147 Grain Flat Based .308 Jacketed Bullets using 22 WMR Cases to make jackets. The following link provided specifics on how I did this. There is some level of "22 WMR/.308 Jacket loss" doing this; but it is doable.

Swage 308 Jackets from 22 WMR – Finally Success in Tilting at That Windmill

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ill&highlight=
    Mustang

Me for one, because I can go shoot and not have to go to casting and reloading to replace them.

Even at a quarter a shot they are not that unreasonable in my opinion.

Especially if you consider that primers are now 10 cents ea and not always that easy to find.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!