Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Surplus Beretta 81bb 32 acp and Cast Boolits

Boolit Buddy

Surplus Beretta 81bb 32 acp and Cast Boolits

Howdy boolitpeoples.

I have my a new (to me ) eye-talliano surplus Beretta 81bb in 32 acp. It's such a neat little pistol. A non pistol shooting guy like me can keep it inside 2" groups at 21 feet with PPU factory loads. Keep in mind, I have never owned a non black powder pistol before. I'm super happy with how it performs. (so much that I bought a standard Beretta 81 as well)

So now that I have a basic understanding of what it can do.... of course I'm going to cast boolits for it.

So other than the usual/standard techniques for casting boolits (size matters, no leading, use the right powders, etc), is there anything I need to look out for while casting for this pistol? Again, I've never owned a pistol let alone cast for one. Anything I need to be concerned about with springs or anything on this model?

I think I know where to start load wise. I did a bunch of research on old threads. I'm starting out with the good ol RCBS 32-077-RN. I'm not going to cook up any super wizzer loads. I know this baby m9 is not made for speed or stopping power. I just will be putting holes in paper, or shootin' tin cans, or maybe a red squirrel.

So anyway, let me know if there is anything I should look out for or tweak with my plan. Thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Chambers on these are TIGHT. Size bullets to .310-.311". Bullets don't need to be hard. Air cooled wheelweights are fine.

Subsonic loads in short barrels don't require lots of bullet lube, a thin coating of Lee Liquid Alox just enough to turn the bullets a uniform brassy color is enough. There is no need to "fill" the lubricating grooves.

The 77-grain RCBS bullet works fine with 2.0-2.2 grains of Bullseye at minimum cartridge OAL 0.955", OK up to 0.975"

These guns are reliable with flat nosed and JHP bullets also. Accurate Molds designs which feed well in these are:

Attachment 255792Attachment 255793Attachment 255794Attachment 255795Attachment 255796Attachment 255797

If you would PM me with an email address which can accept larger .pdf attachments I can send you two issues of The Fouling Shot which contain extensive data on loading for the .32 ACP and also impressions from three CBA members who bought these pistols and sent in their evaluations.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Many thanks ,Outpost75!
    Very good read
    Last edited by rking22; 02-01-2020 at 03:18 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Are you all talking about the 32 Automatic (7.65mm Browning) cartridge? I don't find any references to a 32 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge? I have been loading for a 32 AUTO (what my reloading dies are marked as) for awhile and agree with the information posted above for loads and sizing. My pistol won't chamber bullets sized any larger than 0.311" after sizing in a 0.310" die with some springback I assume. And cases can be critical as I originally purchased some range pickup cases real cheap, and later found most of the cases of foreign origin won't fit in the pistol's chamber when loaded with even the bullets measuring 0.311". Starline 32 AUTO cases are what I ended up using and they seem to work the best and are the most consistent for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info, outpost, I'll send you a PM.

For the record: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_ACP

32 auto/32acp are interchangeable.

Don, what headstamp did you try? I have once fired ppu from my pistol, that's all the brass I have for now.

FYI in Europe the .32 ACP is known as the 7.65mm Browning.

https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/td...-en-page12.pdf
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple more questions as I continue to research and learn....

This will be my first time loading for pistol. In fact it will be my first time loading anything other than bottle neck rifle cartridges.

Given the tightness of the chamber on this Beretta 81bb, will I need to do anything more than use the crimp that came with my set of dies? I have the lee carbide 3 die set. I believe, if I read the instructions correctly, the seating die also crimps.

When I do rifle reloading, I have always ignored all the different types of crimping because I always use what lee calls the 'Factory crimp die' (the one that works like a collet clamp).

But now, with handgun, I have a bunch of different options. Bullet seater crimp, taper crimp, carbide factory crimp. I understand the basic differences of these types of crimps. However, for this 81bb, I suspect one of these are going to work better than the other based on the peculiarities of the 81bb chamber. So which should I use? (or i guess the 4th option is no crimp?)

Dimner,

HIGHLY recommend that you get the Lee Factory Crimp Die for .32 Auto/.32 S&W Long. This has a carbide ring which full-length resizes loaded rounds to ensure they do not exceed SAAMI Max. Cartridge dimensions, and it will reduce any case bulge which results from the bullet base impinging against the body wall taper of the cartridge case. If seating depth of your particular bullet exceeds that of factory FMJ, the bullet base is forced into the thicker body wall.

Sorting brass by headstamp and sizing cast bullets to .310" also helps. Starline brass works best.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Perfect, thank you. I will pick up one of those LFC dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Don, what headstamp did you try? I have once fired ppu from my pistol, that's all the brass I have for now.
    The ones that didn't work are: CBC, GeCo, PPU, COR-BON, GFL, AGUILA, HRTRS, PMC, S&B. And there may be a few others I didn't see in my reject brass bucket.

The best brass I have that shoot well are: Star-Line by far (most accurate loads attained), and WW, R-P, FC.

Others with slightly more chamber clearance might be able to shoot all of these though.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Don,

Looks like I'm going to have to make a Starline order.

Boolit Grand Master
    Spend the money for the Lee Factory Crimp die and make most all brass your friend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Spend the money for the Lee Factory Crimp die and make most all brass your friend.
    If you already have the Redding Profile Crimp die for the .32 S&W Long, while this will not crimp the shorter .32 ACP case, it will profile the full length of the loaded round and permit you to use most .32 ACP brass in your Beretta 81.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Chambers on these are TIGHT. Size bullets to .310-.311". Bullets don't need to be hard. Air cooled wheelweights are fine.

Subsonic loads in short barrels don't require lots of bullet lube, a thin coating of Lee Liquid Alox just enough to turn the bullets a uniform brassy color is enough. There is no need to "fill" the lubricating grooves.

The 77-grain RCBS bullet works fine with 2.0-2.2 grains of Bullseye at minimum cartridge OAL 0.955", OK up to 0.975"

These guns are reliable with flat nosed and JHP bullets also. Accurate Molds designs which feed well in these are:

Attachment 255792Attachment 255793Attachment 255794Attachment 255795Attachment 255796Attachment 255797

If you would PM me with an email address which can accept larger .pdf attachments I can send you two issues of The Fouling Shot which contain extensive data on loading for the .32 ACP and also impressions from three CBA members who bought these pistols and sent in their evaluations.
    Mr outpost75,

Looks like those images have expired, would you mind letting me know what accurate mold numbers/profiles they were?

Thanks

If your pistol resists feeding anything but roundnosed hardball, bullets of choice are 31-081H, 31-087B, 31-087T or 31-094H.

If your pistol feeds flatnosed bullets well, then the bullets of choice are 31-077B, 31-084H, or 31-090B
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Very much appreciated. I like the look of that 31-84H.

My Beretta 81 32acp shoots the Berry's 71gr. .312 plated bullets very well. I wish one of the mould makers would cut a no lube groove RN that was the shape of that bullet. Seems like that would be a simple mould to cut. Gp

Boolit Buddy

.312 Meister 77gr. RN would make my former 81bb choke but it ran S&B fmj perfect. The chamber was very tight on that specimen. If I get another 81bb I will feed it .310 cast boolits. I also had a 81fs and the .312 Meister worked 100% in it. My friend has a bevvy of 81’s (first generation no FP safety) and they eat the .312 RN boolits too. I think over the production history of the 81 series there have been some variation in bore diameter and chamber tightness.

Boolit Buddy
    My first tests are going to be with the rcbs 77gr RN powder coated. Two sizes for the first test, .310 and .312. Just as soon as I can figure out how to accurately and repeatedly measure out 1.8 grains of bullseye.

After I find out what size it likes, the accurate 31-090B is in my future

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    My first tests are going to be with the rcbs 77gr RN powder coated. Two sizes for the first test, .310 and .312. Just as soon as I can figure out how to accurately and repeatedly measure out 1.8 grains of bullseye.

After I find out what size it likes, the accurate 31-090B is in my future
    I would just make a home made dipper from a cartridge case and a piece of wire bent around it for a handle.
    A .22 rimfire case or a .25 auto case filled with 1.8 grs of bullseye will show you where to cut or file off the case.
    This is a try and cut thing to do, but once made, it will last forever for you.
    I have made dippers for other cartridges over the years with great success.
    You don't have to mark what they are for.You just dip the appropriate powder and weigh the dipperful and you know which is which and if you only save the one that you made work, there is no doubt.
    Good luck and don't think it's too hard to do.
    Experience and Experiment
    That's all reloading is.
    Instead of filing the case, you can also force wad some packed paper in the case to take up SPACE and then try a dipperful on your scale.
    Some people put some plastic glue in case and let it dry and use a small drill bit to hollow out the space till the powder fill is right.
    There are other ways to measure too.
    This is the simplest and easiest I know.