Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the last handgun you bought?

Boolit Master

Hey members!
    I was in a pawn shop last week and spotted a nib Sar USA 2000 pistol (CZ 75 clone). I had already bought a Sar 9 (Glock clone) last spring. The Sar 9 is a very fine weapon. I've had no issues with failure to feed, fire, or eject. It's eat half a dozen makes and weights of ammo. My only complaint, is the striker fire system in these pistols. This was my first. I don't like striker fired pistols. The fit and finish on the Sarsilmaz pistols is very nice. Machining as well is top notch imo. So, I'm in the pawn shop this Monday last. They had a nib SAR USA 2000 9mm. This is their CZ 75 (clone) pistol. These pistols are hammer fired double action/single action. Very solid and nicely made. So, I swapped out the Sar 9 + $$ for the SAR USA 2000. Question: In all the years past when buying a new firearm, it usually takes 15 minutes for the background check. Now, I'm on the waiting list of the OSP, aka, Oregon State Police. I checked yesterday with the pawn shop, and I'm number 2003 on a list of over 3500. The clerk at the pawn shop said it would probably be another 1 - 2 1/2 weeks. Have any of you had or is having this same issue? If nothing else, that tells me there are a lot of firearms being sold. In Oregon at least.
    Expieriences?
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-24-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master
    It took my brother, who lives in Medford, over two weeks to get permission to pick up his S&W last month. What was weird, is that while he was waiting for that one, he bought a Mauser and it went through the background check same day and came home with him that day.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Now that doesn't make sense at all. That sounds to me like the OSP or ????, is "randomly" kicking out applications of potential buyers, and putting them on a list, on the outside chance they are making an illegal purchase. Thank you Glen for your Intel. Very much appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    1954 era Smith & Wesson 38-44 Heavy Duty with a 5" barrel.

Boolit Master

So I've done some investigating on the subject. This information is from the Oregon Firearms Federation. This is not word for word on the article I read. The Oregon Firearms Federation, states, that the OSP does not have a limit on the time for them to reply with an approval of the background check. BUT, and HOWEVER, the FFL (seller) has the legal right to transfer the firearm to the buyer, IF, the OSP hasn't issued a "DENIAL" within "3" days of receiving the application. It was also stated that the Oregon State Police and laws on the subject are very flawed. The OSP tells the FFL that they have to wait for an approval on the background check, which is a false statement. The biggest issue, is that the FFL (seller) does not know the law, and obeys what the OSP tells them.

Ruger P89X- two barrels- one in 9mm and the other in .30 Luger
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Man
    Picked up a new S&W 4.25" Model 69 today. Didn't get a chance to shoot it yet. The L frame feels almost the same size to me in my large paws as a K frame, which fits me perfect. I plan on carrying it as a woods gun.

The new ball detent lockup definitely feels more solid than the rod lockup.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Buckeye convertible in 10 mm -38-40
    BD

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    Ruger Buckeye convertible in 10 mm -38-40
    BD
    At first glance, I read this as "Bucky Rogers." Need new reading glasses.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Pyramd Air apparently got in a very few P11 Beemans in .22. I got the notification and gave it some thought... early next morn they had but three left... so, why not? (I checked immediately after ordering mine, and it appears I got the last one!) It doesn't have the fibre sites, which is good, as I plan on putting a UTG Green Dot on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P11.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	295415

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Hey members!
    I was in a pawn shop last week and spotted a nib Sar USA 2000 pistol (CZ 75 clone). I had already bought a Sar 9 (Glock clone) last spring. The Sar 9 is a very fine weapon. I've had no issues with failure to feed, fire, or eject. It's eat half a dozen makes and weights of ammo. My only complaint, is the striker fire system in these pistols. This was my first. I don't like striker fired pistols. The fit and finish on the Sarsilmaz pistols is very nice. Machining as well is top notch imo. So, I'm in the pawn shop this Monday last. They had a nib SAR USA 2000 9mm. This is their CZ 75 (clone) pistol. These pistols are hammer fired double action/single action. Very solid and nicely made. So, I swapped out the Sar 9 + $$ for the SAR USA 2000. Question: In all the years past when buying a new firearm, it usually takes 15 minutes for the background check. Now, I'm on the waiting list of the OSP, aka, Oregon State Police. I checked yesterday with the pawn shop, and I'm number 2003 on a list of over 3500. The clerk at the pawn shop said it would probably be another 1 - 2 1/2 weeks. Have any of you had or is having this same issue? If nothing else, that tells me there are a lot of firearms being sold. In Oregon at least.
    Expieriences?

Yup...I know what you're speaking of! I have a C&R license, but most of what I add to my collection is not C&R eligible, so I use a pawn shop in La Pine, OR, to do my receiving and transfers. I was in last week to do the paperwork on a non-C&R firearm. Of course, you always have to show your picture I.D., usually your driver license, and this time the manager, a lady, asked to see and copy my CCW permit. Then she said, "Congratulations, you're number 10 on the list, and it should be approved in about 20 to 30 minutes." I asked what magic made that happen, as it has sometimes been 2-3 weeks, and she said, "It's because you have a CCW permit. You just jumped ahead of almost 4,000 other people." Sure enough, I was approved in 30 minutes. So...you might want to look into that angle.

About 12 years ago I was still in a semi-retired gunsmithing business and had an FFL. The OSP background checks used to take 5 minutes maximum. Even farther back, when the system was first initiated, checks used to take 2-3 minutes. Originally Oregon used the FBI NCICS system, as many states still do, and very short waiting periods were the usual, again, 2-5 minutes. But Oregon got greedy and they wanted the background check fees and opted to use the OSP instead of the FBI. Things were pretty much O.K. until the Covid-19 thing happened, and then the background examiners started working from home. It wasn't long and a waiting list of 2,000 developed, has never gone away, and has now increased to 4,000 and sometimes it has been 6,000. One has to admit that concurrent with this Covid problem was the unprecedented increase in firearms sales, and X-number of examiners can only handle X-number of checks per shift. However, by now they should have made a concerted effort to catch up, and my personal conclusion is that the current situation is intentional as the state government in Salem is very anti-gun.

DG

Boolit Master

DG:
    I did some more investigating, and found that in 2021 they ( the establishment) passed the Enhanced Back Ground Checks Act of 2021. If the FBI hasn't determined the background check within the 3 day limit, the buyer can petition the FBI to expedite their search. The buyer can do this on line. The buyer has to "certify" that they are eligible and legal to own a firearm. How the hell are you supposed to do that? It allows the FBI to have an extra 10 days to complete their search. Here's the kicker, they have 10 more days to do their search from the time they receive your petition. I'm so tired of the liberal, beaurocratic, anti-gun BS. Oh, by the way, when I purchased the pistol, the clerk ask for my CCW permit. I gave it to him and he said "Good, that will help a lot". So much for that help, eh? So I called the pawn shop today and I've moved up to 397 on the waiting list from 2003.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-28-2022 at 11:24 PM.

It's frustrating, isn't it? The ATF checks you out pretty carefully before they'll give you a Collector's License, and the Sheriff checks you out with equal thoroughness before granting your Concealed Carry Permit. One would think that the OSP would accept either as satisfying their needs, and expedite the background check. Like I said, on my last visit I jumped ahead of 4,000 on the list, but that hasn't worked every time, and I've waited 6 weeks before. What irks me is that the system's backlog should have been cleared several months ago, but it persists, and I think they're in no hurry to return to the "instant check" bill of goods we were originally sold.

Meanwhile, so as not to be accused of hi-jacking the thread, here's two of my latest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007011.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	295449

Both purchased separately via Gunbroker from different pawn shops. Both had broken plastic grips, now replaced with walnut (top) and bubinga (bottom) from 4S Grips in Texas. They have a website. Top is a Llama III-A .380, and the bottom is a Llama IX-B 9mm.

DG

Boolit Master

From what I've read, the 10.00 fee is just another way for the state of Oregon making more money on the backs of the taxpayers. They're even thinking of raising the fee. Imagine that.
    I bought a Llama Max-1 45 CF from my brother in law back in about 1999 or 2000. It's been a solid piece, and shooter. It is the two tone model with blued slide and plated frame. When I shooting on a regular basis, it would keep all rounds in a 2" bull at 12 yards offhand. Back then, they were selling nib for 225 - 250 $$$. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Very nice grips.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-29-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    A pair of black powder revolvers, both from the same estate. First is a Navy Arms .44 caliber 1851 Navy design. It carries the Uberti logo on the frame. Second is a Colt 1849 replica 31 caliber revolver. It was imported by FIE and there are no other logos or ID on it. Both of these revolvers had been rode hard and put up wet. Just getting them apart and clean was trial by ordeal. Now they are clean, lubed and ready to play.

Boolit Buddy

Picked up my Glock 40 Gen 4 M.O.S 10 mm.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Mold
    Within the last three months I've gotten several handguns. In November I got a S&W 500 Magnum in 6 inch. In December I got a Colt Anaconda 44 mag, also a 6 inch. In Early January I got a S&W M&P2.0 in 10mm. It's going to be an exciting spring.
    Never Give In. Never Give Up.

Boolit Master

Vintage Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 Maximum. For $800 I couldn't turn it down.

Boolit Master
    Model 60 no-dash:

My last was the Ruger flat top 44 special in 5 inch barrel. Before that it was another Colt SAA also in 44 special..Thinking of getting a new Smith 69, in 44 special. Guess I like 44 special...

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast