RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: 44-77 sharps?

Boolit Master

Its hard to see in the photo, but after boring to size, I set the compound to cut a 5 degree lead-in taper about .075" deep. This allows the case mouths to easily enter the bushing. Then it was chamfered and polished. The sizing portion is only. 500" deep. The remainder is larger to allow the PP bullet to move freely.

I've used the Lee push through sizers for other cartridges. They work well too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210221_095824_copy_699x690.jpg  

Good work.

Boolit Master

Thank you sir.

Boolit Master

I'd like to order a tapered, dual diameter mold of around 400-450gr. Near the nose I want it patched to bore diameter. But what about near the base? Should its patched diameter be about groove diameter or a slip fit in a fired case? My groove diameter is .446". I measured three fired cases and the neck ID averaged .451". I've read on various forums of doing it both ways, but groove diameter seems to make the most sense to me. This is strictly for range use with a max distance of 200 yards. Thanks.
    Last edited by ndnchf; 02-26-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Best thing to do would be to figure the thickness of the paper and multiply by 4, then subtract that from the groove diameter, and order the base of the bullet at the sum of your math problem, nose diameter at the junction of the base should probably be about .004-.006 under the base diameter..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    one thing about measuring paper for our purposes.
    Rather than measuring a single sheet, measure the 4 layers at once in several places
    and the average the thickness of the 4 layers for your calculations as to bullet diameters.
    That will help to "average out" local variations in the paper if it has poor formation.
    Also, re the Double diameter bullets: I like to have a taper. for "general purposes" of 3.5 degrees per side
    between the base band and the bore ride area of the bullet.
    You can see that in DDEPP bullets in the BACO catalog
    There are a couple of 44 cal. DDpp bullets listed.
    and if the bullet is of appropriate lengths overall and of the base band length,
    Baco will adjust diameters for you
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, good advice. I'll go for groove diameter at the patched base. Measuring a stack of 4 patches rather than measure 1 and multiplying by 4 made a difference. I was doing the later. But when measuring the bare bullet vs the patched bullet, it wasn't adding up right. It had me a little baffled. But when I measured a stack of 4, it matched the bare vs patched difference.

Your patched base diameter can be .001 to .002 over your groove diameter just as you would do with a grease groove bullet. It might then fit you fireformed cases a bit better. I'm not sure if you can go more than .002, that's the most I've gone.

Ideally with a .446 groove diameter your chamber would be cut to fireform your specific brass to .448 and your bullet base would patch to .447. That would give a nice slip fit into the case mouth.

As long as you get as much bullet as possible up into the bore and fitting snug the base will bump up to whatever the case ID is when the powder ignites, guaranteed. If your brass is .452, your bullet will become .452 before it moves much at all. The best thing is to minimize the bump up as much as possible by making the bullet fit the available space to start with, but it has to chamber so some comprises are necessary.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Boolit Master

Great info, thanks Jim!

If you have a PP mould just put it in your 4 jaw chuck and use your boring bar and open the base to match your paper.
    I used my mill opening a .44 mould but my next I will probably use my lathe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3739 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	278967

Boolit Master

I don't- yet. But I ordered a tapered PP mold from Accurate. So I should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I don't- yet. But I ordered a tapered PP mold from Accurate. So I should be good.
    Which Mold? I'm researching PP molds for my rifle.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=44-410P
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=43-470P

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Once had Steve Brooks make me a tapered mould for PP. it tapered from groove to bore diameter patched. As I couldn't get any consistent accuracy from it, I had it bored out to a groove diameter bullet...

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen, thank you so much to all who have contributed to this amazing and enlightening thread. It could be edited into a manuscript in honor of a great and historic cartridge, the .44-77. I have long been interested in this chambering, and when I recently did a Google search on the topic, lo and behold up came my own post back in 2007 on the Shiloh Forum, where I was logged in as Oregon Bill. I am so pleased to learn that the .44-77 is a wonderful cartridge that can be made to shoot with the best of them, as I had always heard discouraging words about it that you all have proven to be untrue. Again, thank you.
    http://boulderriverfoundry.com/forum...pic.php?t=9000

Hello 44-77 fans, been shooting mine a bit here’s a group I shot a week or so ago. This was 80 grains of Swiss 1.5, a Walters wad and a bullet from my accurate 44-410p bullet at 200 meters. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F47DB8CD-6C8F-4EB1-810A-1186C163039B.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	301864
    Last edited by R-71; 07-07-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112