MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: HS-6 for reduced rifle loads?

HS-6 for reduced rifle loads?

I don't see much about use of this powder outside of shotgun/handgun loads.

Anyone ever tried it for reduced rifle? References to any published data in this application would be useful, especially in .30 caliber.

Not in need of any handgun reports - plenty of those around.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    HS-6, sort of like Power Pistol, is not a very versatile powder but does work well with warmer loads; that's probably what it was designed for. There should be plenty of data available. Have you checked the Lyman book? Magnum primers are often recommended with HS-6. I did comparisons with standard and magnum primers. I'd have to refer to my notes for specifics, but I don't recall much, if any difference, in accuracy or anything else when switching between the two primer types.

Most of my work (maybe all of it) with HS-6 has been with cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Which .30 Cal?
    I've use HS-6 8 gr in .308 Win large pistol primer with 145 gr cast round nose at 1140 fps for nice groups with a Spanish FR8.
    Can't find my original source but check C.E. Harris "Cast Bullet Basics for Military Surplus Rifles" rev 9-6-93. (I can't find the full version from Handloader's Digest.)
    The section on "gas checked bullets without gas checks" may be useful.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

I am using 8.5 HS-6, Federal Small Rifle primer, and the 30–30 Berry Bullet in my 300 Blackout bolt gun.
    Velocity is 1365 on a 70 degree day.
    It works well enough for 50 yard target practice and plinking.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    I have been shooting WW 540 (HS-6) in all 30 caliber cartridges for a long time.
    GMDR.com has it listed on their reduced load data.
    I vary slightly from their 8.0grs of HS-6 with a 170gr cast boolits. It could be my keg of WW 540 has a slightly different burn rate? It will put 10 shots into a one inch hole at 50 yards and it holds to 100 yards for position shooting practice on a 6” steel plate. The 400 yard setting works on 3 of my rifles, one needs a 600 yard setting. I use a aluminum GC and regular lube. I also have a plain base that I tumble lube with White Label 45/45/10 they shoot really well from a Savage 30-06 with 8.5grs of WW540.
    Hope that helps....

Bullseye67

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve used it in 480 Ruger, 40sw and 380 amp.. might try it in a 6.5.

More recently: testing HS-6 in my 38-55 loads with a 245 Cast Gas Checked Bullet. It seemed to work; I have not choreographed it yet. 13.0 grains with a Wolf Large Pistol Primer left the primer and brass looking like I could add some powder.

Boolit Master
    I'd use it only if I found it listed in a load manual. If it's not suggested for reduced rifle loads, there may be a good reason.

I use it in my Cody Ballard 25-20 Win. 6.0 grains with a 102 and 105 Plain Base bullet. Runs into 1.5 inches for 10 shots. Not all the time but the bad groups may be my bullets. My 100 yard offhand rifle and load.
    M. Stenback