Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press lighting

Press lighting

Im talking about those strips of led lights that get mounted inside a press so you can see inside the cases better.

For those of you that have them, how effective are they? You like them alright? Are they battery powered or plug in?

I want to put one in my rcbs turret but kinda hate the idea of relying on batterys and would assume the spinning of the turret would make a plug in one less than functional.

The whole idea seems gimmicky to me, like the "improved primer catch" things but admittedly both are probably due to how flooded ebay is with both.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I installed a Hornady LED strip on my RockChucker several years ago. It plugs into an outlet and works great. I believe it is an excellent product.

Moderator Emeritus

You might want to check one of our vendor sponsors Inline Fabrication located on the top portion of the page between the red, white, and blue boolits. I use the one for the Dillon 550b and like it. Good luck.

I have 8 overhead lights in my reloading room, so I have a lot of light in the small room to start with but I put some of the KMS^2 UFO lights on a couple presses and now it seems like I am reloading in the dark on the others.

Quite effective at putting the light where one is working.

They are low voltage DC but are powered from the included transformer from 120vac.

https://kmssquared.com/ufo_h.html

I have the Hornady one as well. I like it. Makes it much easier to see the powder charge.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I don't have any of the strips, but got 2 LED lights from Wally World. I think they were less than 10 bucks. I pulled the magnifying lens off and hot glued it to a bent rifle case
    and wired it to an old cell phone charger. The light fits in the center hole of a Dillon 550B tool head and lights up the shell plate below and I can visually make sure of the powder drop.
    These are 12 volt lights but the only old charger I could find was 9 volts. It still shines bright enough for these old eyes.

I found these in the Automotive section. Not sure if this helps

Boolit Buddy
    I have InLine Manufacturering Led lighting. It is a plug in style led light. Has one on the inside of the press facing away from your face and into the middle of the press. And I think what they call their Skylight. Fits into the center hole at the the top of the press. My press is a Hornady LnL.

So far I'm extremely satisfied with the visibility in my press while reloading.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XDROB; 01-04-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I’ll second the UFO lights. Very easy to install and makes checking everything much easier.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    When last I visited Dale53 he had a set of some sort of stick-on LED lights planned for each of his Dillon presses... other pursuits got in the way and we never got that done on that visit so I don’t know what kind of results he got/is getting but I’ll rattle his cage and see whether I can get him to report in.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I bought a spool LED lights from Harbor freight and extra power plugs from Amazon. Thata 20bucks to put lights on 3 presses and enough parts for 4 more. Still have like 4 feet ish feet of LED lights. Took some cussing and fiddling (the power plug pigtail doesnt exactly matche the contor of the light strip). Then spot tied them too all my presses. I like it and it really helps. I dont have the best lighting in the living room where I reload, but my work area is now well lit. Plus if I ever through a reloading party I can set my press lights to strobe and chase random colors. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

a few years ago, I bought a short (3 LED) Strip on fleabay for $1.25 (it requires 12 volt DC)
    It came with adhesive applied and pigtail wires to connect to a Plug-in (120vac) transformer/converter (12vdc) that is common with lots of small electronics gadgets that can be found at Goodwill for a buck or two.

Attachment 254123

Oh, to answer the OP's question. Yes it made a big improvement. Without it, I can't see if there is powder in a pistol case. With it, I can.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I put an Inline Fabrication lighting kit on my Co-Ax and it's like night and day difference (). I used to use an articulated desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb shining over my right shoulder, but the IF kit lights up the area needed and is bright with no shadows. I wired it so the switch is mounted to the bench front, out of the way to the right of the press, There are connectors to unplug the wires between the press and the switch so the press is easily removed without any trouble.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I put LED lights on my black Lyman orange crusher. 120v plug in. Like them a lot. Got them on eBay from a guy that makes lighting kits for presses. They just stick on. You can shorten the lights to what you want/ need with scissors. I'm sure you could make your own light string easily if you can buy the parts easily, locally. I couldn't.

Is the only way to solve the turret spinning to mount the lights to the press itself behind the ram?
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    I have Inline light kit on my LNL and is good. A friend put the KMS UFO light kit on his LNL and Dillion 650 and is the way to go. Dan makes a good product but the KMS one is better.

Boolit Master

I got a set of press-on LEDs from Amazon for my Dillon 550. They are EXTREMELY effective in lighting-up the press and letting me clearly and easily see inside all the cases setting in their spots. Cannot recommend them more as they stopped me from making squib loads, one of which blew-up the barrel to one of my 1911s (a $460 repair).
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 01-04-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

The little led strips weren't enough light for my needs so I clamped a portable adjustable flood light with a HDX-150 watt flood lamp on the shelf above my bench , angled it for some good lighting and it lights up both press and lube sizer . The adjustability is nice and I can move it around .
    8 1/2 inch aluminum reflector , $16.00 from Home Depot , Woods 18/2 SPT-2 , nice unit .
    You need light , that's for sure .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Is the only way to solve the turret spinning to mount the lights to the press itself behind the ram?
    Sounds logical to me...

I don't have that press handy but from the pics I see I think I would mount a strip of LEDs on the frame up on the "hump". The "hump" on the frame is angled down towards the ram and the straight parts of the frame will shine directly out.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I now wear one of those LED "headlamps" strapped to my forehead. Also use it working around the machine tools. The light is always pointed where you are looking.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Task Lighting

I have posted about these lights before, in other threads, on other forums.

I use these lights for loading and all over my garage as task lighting.
    Works out better than bright/harsh lights flooding the whole garage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	@press.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	281917
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmachLight.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	281918
    I bought them on amazon, there are others:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Here some others, including strip lighting:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Sewing+Ma...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-25-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast