WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just when was the Christ born?

Far less important than the fact that he was born. The Bible does not command a celebration of his birthday.

DG

Banned
    Just a day the church chose to thank God for coming in the flesh to earth. The day was mostly chosen to Christianize the Roman pagan winter festivals. Church has a super long history of taking pagan traditions and dates and then giving them a Christian feast date. I don't consider it deceptive but it is a smart and manipulative tactic. Easier to make converts by showing them they can celebrate almost the same but honoring the Trinity and saints of the church. The key was to incorporate local customs and traditions that didn't require people to abandon their culture but just focus it towards God.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The Romans may have rearranged the calendar but the Hebrews had a moon calendar which is why Easter is all over the calendar . It was 13 months to coincide with the 13 moon cycles per year .

We have science to support continental drift , Axis shift , environmental change and the potential of any calendar of the last 5,000 yr or so to be off by a decade . Given that a poster suggested that he was born in the fall of 3 that would be correct at zero by 1065 when the calender would have , without leap days , been 3 yrs fast . Every 90 years the calendar would have shifted a whole 1/4 so it's actually very possible that the flocks were in the field "in the dead of winter" using a fixed calendar vs an astrological calendar .

Before Egypt for the average person the concept of 1000 of anything was unimaginably huge and time past a few seasons was let alone years was forever . Today we accept 5 as day to day business 6 places as a decent income and talk about 9,10, 14 places over beer .
    Placed in context science proves out the Bible and all of studies .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Dr. Michael Heiser went seriously in depth into when Jesus was born and why it matters.
    He settled on September 11, 3BC rather than the time identified by E. W. Bullinger.
    Listening to what Heiser said was not wasted time.

Boolit Bub
    Dr. Michael Heiser went home on Feb 20, 2023 and he can now ask Jesus but I don’t believe that matters to him now. Jesus death and sacrifice mattered very much to the Dr at this time though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog25 View Post
    I’m not sure when He was born, but praise God He was! I know my Redeemer lives, hallelujah.
    This is the important part. Not only was HE born, but HE rose from the grave and lives today.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    https://www.logos.com/grow/michael-heiser-passing/

A really great teacher and follower of Jesus Christ, he will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dec 25th! So when? What do you say, and why? Does it matter?
    A presentation by Dr. Heiser on some results of his studies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEhGM5jaak

Boolit Bub
    Good Cheer thank you for the link. Never had the opportunity to read or hear him before. We grow line upon line, here a little there a little, faith to faith and glory to glory. Jesus Christ born of a virgin, died on a cross for the sin of man, raised from the dead, seated at the right hand of the Father and soon coming King.

You're welcome sir.

Heiser is missed already, somebody that we could have learned oh so much more from as he continued to learn.

Banned
    Very logical how he came up with the date and seems to make a lot of sense. I like to learn about the physical aspects of the faith and contemplate all the theological aspects as well. However, it is important to remember the most critical thing about the faith is God's love for us and the salvation plan. Again, it is important and good to think about details and contemplate. I think God wants us to do this but he also wants us to come as children just knowing and accepting His love. I think Jesus was an example of this - his teaching is pretty simplistic and does not get into a lot extraneous detail. Love everyone, forgiveness and following the commandments and laws. I think that is what can be interesting abut Christianity. Jesus explains what people should do and how they should live in fairly simple terms and we find all kinds of ways to make it super complicated and debate every tiny aspect. Again, it has its place to ponder all things but we should not forget the big picture.

People being people, now that Dr. Heiser has passed away his detractors will probably be emboldened and begin ripping at his work.

Banned
    At least in terms of Jesus' birth, Dr Heiser uses astronomy and history (facts). So the only true detractors could be people that also have a thorough knowledge and understanding as he did and present any calculation errors. There will always be detractors but as we have witnessed so much the last several years, most people don't live by facts but opinions and personal narratives to make themselves feel better about what they believe and who they follow.

I used to think it important but no longer feel that way. Like the song says;
    "my faith is enough, my faith is enough".

Boolit Bub
    This will give a fascinating explanation:

Personally, I don't think the date matters at all. We think in finite terms (calendar)...God (Three in one - Father, Son, Spirit) has always been and always will be. There are no dates involved. So why should we really care when Jesus was born. Sure we can celebrate his birth but one needs to remember that He is infinite. From time past to time future....the only part I really care about is that I'll be with my Savior into the future infinity.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Apparently God created time, we exist within the construct while in these meat suits and for some reason He included in our lesson plans the information on when Jesus was born. With Him doing that how could it not spark someones interest?
    Answer: He made every one of us different so to each his own.

Boolit Bub
    …and beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge…2Pe2:5

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dec 25th! So when? What do you say, and why? Does it matter?
    He was born in the fulness of time as Paul said: Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    He was born in the fulness of time as Paul said: Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
    To God be the glory! Amen!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123