WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Star Sizer anybody know what this part is for?

Boolit Master

Star Sizer anybody know what this part is for?

I bought a star sizer off of gunbroker a few weeks ago and am just now setting it up. I watched the videos on Magmas website and got the sizer working beautifully. The part shown in the picture came in the box with the sizer, but no instructions, and I cannot see what it is used for on any of the Star sizer videos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B8CD356C-156A-4BB1-AD02-04FE80795CB3.jpeg  
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    It's for pulling the die out of the machine when you want to change out the die. The small knurled threaded piece screws into the ram, replacing the top punch, and the rod is inserted up through the bottom of the die, being screwed into the knurled piece. This way when you raise the ram, it pulls out the die from the top. Don't forget to loosen the set screw, that locks the die in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0513.JPG  
    Last edited by GBertolet; 12-27-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's also helpful to warm the lubrisizer before pulling the die. Mine is in a cold room, and the lube becomes quite stiff. I have a home made heater under the sizer that I turn on for a few minutes before use and/or changing sizer dies.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I like using a cheap heat gun to warm the sizer. It only takes a minute.

There's a part missing from the die puller. There should be a 1/4x20 threaded piece of metal, like a bolt with the head cut off. This is used to push the last bullet out of the die you're going to pull. If that part wasn't included, then just cut the head off a 2" long 1/4x20 bolt and dress up the cut off end.

Once you screw the knurled piece into where the top punch goes, screw in the straight 1/4x20 piece and push the bullet in the die out the bottom. Then remove that piece and screw in the larger piece from the bottom and remove the sizing die.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    Once you warm the die in most cases you don't need the extra parts to remove the die. I have a piece of bar stock that I stick under the die and gently push up and the die comes right out and this is with the top punch not being moved.