Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shiloh or C Sharps

Back when I wasn't 'clued in'...I bought my first M74 from C. Sharps; a 50 2 1/2. Could not get the dude to shoot worth a damn! After much soul searching I discovered that C. Sharps had chambered the rifle from the tight end...WRONG END! Sent it back and one year later....finally got it back! Needless to say....I WAS DONE with C. Sharps! It will be a better day for future wannabe Sharps owners when C. Sharps FOLDS FOR GOOD!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Did they make you pay for the new barrel?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Did they chamber the barrel from the wrong end or did Badger send out the barrel with the shank on the "wrong" end? Unless the barrel was choked I'm not sure it would make alot of difference.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Did they make you pay for the new barrel?
    Kurt

No!

Don

The barrel WAS CHOKED!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brooks View Post
    C.Sharps or Shiloh? With no hesitation I can say I'd like to have at least one of each!
    Well, that was me back in '08. I now have 3 farmindales, a '74 and 2 '63's plus a pedersoli '63. All of them are excellent shooters.

Boolit Man
    Recently bought a C.Sharps 45-110 that had come from an estate. Had a bunch of questions sent via email. Got a reply quickly-within hours. Also have made small purchases that were shipped very quickly. Overall, the experience with CSA has been very positive. The rifle is beautiful. This single shot business is addictive in the extreme.

Boolit Master

It seems that Shiloh has always had very nice owners. I took a tour of their place when it was in Farmingdale. At the time I was a teenager, yet when I asked questions, they were answered with the same respect they would give any serious customer. I don't remember much of that tour other than how nice they were, and how upset I was that I didn't have the money to buy one! Now my paycheck comes from Social Security, and I STILL don't have enough money to buy one!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball View Post
    Recently bought a C.Sharps 45-110 that had come from an estate. Had a bunch of questions sent via email. Got a reply quickly-within hours. Also have made small purchases that were shipped very quickly. Overall, the experience with CSA has been very positive. The rifle is beautiful. This single shot business is addictive in the extreme.
    Their customer service has gotten better in the last year or two. I think they must have had a hard time holding onto talent at one time. I've bought a few rifles from them. They are all pretty good with the exception of one that had some issues.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    These days you see more and more C. Sharps in the winners circle, I think it is because of the Badger barrels that they use, I have a few of their rifles but am not a shill for either outfit.

Boolit Master
    One thing I will say is that it's generally been easier to get my Shiloh's shooting well than it has for my C. Sharps 1885s.

For 1874's I'll choose Shiloh. But I do really like the 1885 CSA's

Chris.

latest update.......finally getting the 20 ga sluggun off the ground. barrel is on order. scope is a leatherwood malcolm short with homemade pope rib and unertl type mounts. next comes picking the action......highwall or sharps? hmmmmmm.....

Boolit Master
    I retired in 1993 and cashed in an insurance policy which gave me about $4500 mad money. I called Shiloh to order a rifle. The nice lady who answered the phone told me the waiting time would be at least sixteen months and if I wanted to lock in the current price I had to pay full price now. I don't have that kind of patience. I told her no thanks. That afternoon I went to Turners, which is a chain of sporting goods stores / gunshops and bought a Perdersoli 1874 off the rack. I have never had one problem with it and it shoots very well when I do my part. There is one thing I didn't like on a C. Sharps that I took a close look at. They had stamped the name of the company on the side of the action and there was metal sticking up around each letter. Very cheezy. I have also read that they use castings which Shiloh does't. Nothing wrong with that. Ruger has always used castings. Since buying the Pedersoli I have aquired a safe full of single shot rifles and if I could only keep one , it would't be the 1874. I much prefer either one of the 1885s that i own.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Actually, it's Shiloh that uses the castings. They have their own foundry now (I think it's called Boulder River Castings), right next to the Shiloh factory. Barrels are now made in-house as well.

C. Sharps doesn't offer tours of the operation beyond the showroom, so I don't know where they source their parts or what they are.

is it true that c.sharps uses smith ent. to cut their receivers or is it done inhouse now?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I retired in 1993 and cashed in an insurance policy which gave me about $4500 mad money. I called Shiloh to order a rifle. The nice lady who answered the phone told me the waiting time would be at least sixteen months and if I wanted to lock in the current price I had to pay full price now. I don't have that kind of patience. I told her no thanks. That afternoon I went to Turners, which is a chain of sporting goods stores / gunshops and bought a Perdersoli 1874 off the rack. I have never had one problem with it and it shoots very well when I do my part. There is one thing I didn't like on a C. Sharps that I took a close look at. They had stamped the name of the company on the side of the action and there was metal sticking up around each letter. Very cheezy. I have also read that they use castings which Shiloh does't. Nothing wrong with that. Ruger has always used castings. Since buying the Pedersoli I have aquired a safe full of single shot rifles and if I could only keep one , it would't be the 1874. I much prefer either one of the 1885s that i own.
    16 months is a long wait and good choice finding a nice Pedersoli to use.

Pedersoli builds excellent guns and will shoot better than most of the people behind one as does both Sharps rifle companies.
    BPCR is more demanding in the re-loading aspect with several factors in play to obtain consistent or any accuracy.

When someone says a "rifle will not shoot" its a possibility it could be the rifle or their loading and components.

I might thin out some of my collectable guns and pick up another Sharps rifle and would consider any of the major brands.
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Boolit Grand Master

Last November I ordered a "special rifle" something Ive alsways had an intrest in and decided the kids didnt need all that Inheritence money anyways. LOL. Actually my middle daughter told me Dad you deserve it. I have always been interested in the early long range shooters Buffalo hunters ect ect.
    I have a Pendersoli long range sharps with 34" barrel now I shoot with paper Patched bullets mostly. Last November I contacted C Sharps arms and ordered a custom build on a Remington Hepburn reproduction. Fancy walnut, matching stock and forend. Pewter forend tip ( I never really carred for ebony tips). 34" Tapered octogon barrel to finish rifle wieght around 12 lbs. Long range soule rear sight and wind adj front sight. Double set triggers are standard. Last I knew they were waiting on Green Mountain for the barrel 45 cal 1-18 twist tapered octogon contour with tulip at the reciever. Steel but plate. Should be a beautifull rifle on the bench shhoting it. No safe queens in this house.
    I have seen Shilohs and they are lovely rifles with pride and craftmansip but they didnt offer what I was looking for either.

Boolit Master
    Country Gent, I applaud your decision. I well remember the first time I saw a Hepburn and I thought, someday I will have to own one. Alas, it never happened. It seemed whenever one came up for sale I was woefully short of funds. That was at a time[early '60s] when you could buy a nice one for a little over a hundred bucks. I will look forward to seeing pictures when you receive your treasure.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    I am very happy with a 74 that I got from CSA last month. The rifle is top shelf as was the customer service. I would not hesitate to order another rifle from them.
    Greg

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mp40man View Post
    I am very happy with a 74 that I got from CSA last month. The rifle is top shelf as was the customer service. I would not hesitate to order another rifle from them.
    Greg
    No pictures , it didn't happen
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-12 18.28.53.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	67233

C. Sharps arms Billy Dixon 50-90, picked it up 2 hours ago!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast