RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lyman Turret Press Cost

Lyman Turret Press Cost

Why is it that the all American 8 goes for less then the T MagII. At times you can find the 8 for almost $100 less. Is the T Mag that good?

I think so...I wouldn't trade it for a new 8 station.
    Over the years I've picked up 5 more turrets for it and it has become the workhorse for pistol load workups & 2 ~ 300 count batches and I like running it.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Thats what I was afraid of I'm using a Lee turret and was looking to upgrade. Soooo there goes another 2-300

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Thats what I was afraid of I'm using a Lee turret and was looking to upgrade. Soooo there goes another 2-300

Thanks
    Don't go making up your mind without letting this thread run a week or so...I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses exactly opposite from my estimation and prolly for good reason too. heheeee...just can't think of any but I'm sure 'they're there'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post

Thanks
    Not every one would consider that an upgrade .

Banned
    I recently got the Lyman All American 8 Turret Press for Reloading
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc for $135.03 on sale,
    I've been really happy with the All American 8. I got 2 extra turrets so can set up 6 different rifle calibers.
    I have my progressive set up for handgun calibers

Banned

Try the Redding T-7 and you'll never look back! IMHO

Boolit Mold
    While I can't really comment on the T MagII, I do own the American 8. The American 8 has a totally USELESS priming system. Maybe that will explain the price difference. I purchased to start reloading rifle cartridges, need to prime off press. I'm primarily using it for resizing cast bullets.

One thing I haven't seen is any comments on the amount of 'flex' in the turret of the new Lyman 8...I have a friend with the T-7 and he complains of the slight flex he has and another friend that has abandoned his RCBS turret because of excessive flex.
    The T Mag II has an adjustable post on the rear underside of it's turret where the flex can be adjusted out so that it's not seen...that's a plus that I don't see anywhere in any other turret.

Banned
    The "flex" on the Lyman All American 8 Turret Press hasn't been an issue for me. It is consistent and with the last 150 06 I loaded the OAL were identical. I Always prime rifle off the press so I have no need or Idea if/how the priming system works, another item for my "junk drawer"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Not every one would consider that an upgrade .
    Roger that.

ALL conventional turrets rotate around a center axis. They must have some amount of looseness, or press "flex", or the turret would be locked in place and couldn't move at all. Lock out the flex and a turret press becomes nothing more than a funny looking single stage press with limited on-board die storage.

Lee's Classic Turret head is loosely held by the outer rim and is limited in it's upward range of motion, effectively eliminating most, if not all, flex. It's semi-auto rotator actually speeds loading and the die heads can be exchanged in seconds without tools. What's not to love?

Anyone wanting to load faster should get a true progressive, not a turret. IMHO of course.

The Lyman TMag 2 has the same rear support post as the Lyman All-American 8. I got my TMag2 on a close-out sale. It’s a nice press and was step up for me. But I would probably be just as happy with a Redding turret or the new Lyman. My other press is a RCBS RC. These have my needs covered and leave room on my bench for other tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro