Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lap / polish a rough revolver forcing cone?

Boolit Master

Lap / polish a rough revolver forcing cone?

Now that we have smartphones it's all too easy to see "problems".

This is a -72 S&W Mod 14, pic is after a box of Magtech j-ammo. I haven't fired cast yet, somebody else has and I'm still cleaning the throats.

Aside from cylinders,would lapping/polishing the cone be a good idea or should I just fire 1k j-ammo to smooth it and move on? I can not get, neither want it re-cut, no revolver smiths around here where I live.

Just smooth,polish... how? Brownells Europe doesn't have those cone tools.

I think my shooting is not as good as it should because I know about and I'm thinking about the rough cone. I shoot my 357 (Mod 586) better than this otherwise great 38 special.

Interested in this one! I have the same problem on a couple. Brownells usa doesn’t have .45 cal brass laps in stock and I am not sure of the forcing cone angle. The gun is a nib model 25-15. I have the 11* forcing cone cutter, but am not sure I want to use it on the s&w.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Interested in this one! I have the same problem on a couple. Brownells usa doesn’t have .45 cal brass laps in stock and I am not sure of the forcing cone angle. The gun is a nib model 25-15. I have the 11* forcing cone cutter, but am not sure I want to use it on the s&w.
    The 11-degree forcing cone reamer, being a shallower angle than the factory cone, will clean up circumferential tool marks in an S&W barrel without enlarging the diameter of the forcing cone entrance. That is what I use to clean up S&Ws.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The 11-degree forcing cone reamer, being a shallower angle than the factory cone, will clean up circumferential tool marks in an S&W barrel without enlarging the diameter of the forcing cone entrance. That is what I use to clean up S&Ws.
    Thank you! You are a very good asset to this community
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Excellent,thank you very much.

I do have to deal with the ancient lead issue first. No amount of j-bullets will fix this.

Boolit Master

Be sure to post the after pics of the cone and target!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Excellent,thank you very much.

I do have to deal with the ancient lead issue first. No amount of j-bullets will fix this.

Brobst JB Paste and Kroil is safest for thorough cleaning to remove old fouling deposits.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...-prod1159.aspx
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I concur with the JB bore paste and Kroil to clean that barrel/forcing cone.

Before I starting cutting, reaming, polishing and otherwise removing metal; I would get that gun clean and shoot it with cast bullets.

Get a baseline on accuracy with the best load possible; you may not need to do anything to the gun !

Boolit Master
    you can make a brass 11degree cone/spigot with a drill chuck shank and glue some 600grit wet and dry to the face of it - to finish polish make a soft wood gadget the same shape and use some jewellers rouge on it.

Gotta wonder how come guns escape from the factory with these kind of tool marks on their critical bits but its common across the trade.

The Lewis Lead Remover has a forcing cone cleaning attachment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Lewis Lead Remover has a forcing cone cleaning attachment.

Yep, I have one. The cone is aluminum and you can place a little jewelers rouge on it to clean up the forcing cone. Go easy.
    The Lewis Lead Remover is a great tool but they are difficult to find. I think Brownells still carries them.

Boolit Master
    This.

You can rent the piloted reamer at 4D. The 11-degree cone is much kinder to cast boolits.

It’ll not only makes the cone more gentle, it also centers it with the bore. On one revolver I did, the reamer initially cut only one side of the cone.

If you go that route, ignore the plug gauge. It has to be cut deep enough to eliminate the original angle so you don’t end up with a compound angle.

Beyond a thorough cleaning, I wouldn’t fool with any home-grown reaming or polishing solutions as they’re liable to make the cone off-center.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    This.

You can rent the piloted reamer at 4D. The 11-degree cone is much kinder to cast boolits.

It’ll not only makes the cone more gentle, it also centers it with the bore. On one revolver I did, the reamer initially cut only one side of the cone.

If you go that route, ignore the plug gauge. It has to be cut deep enough to eliminate the original angle so you don’t end up with a compound angle.

Beyond a thorough cleaning, I wouldn’t fool with any home-grown reaming or polishing solutions as they’re liable to make the cone off-center.
    I wasnt suggesting he "fool with it" ............. but if he is competent and careful with tools can get the job done at home --we dont have the option of renting a reamer where I come from.

Anyway if he is not competent and careful with tools ? gonna do a lot less damage with a brass lap that an off centre reamer.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone,I ordered the Lewis tool.

I'm 56 and trying to be careful. I have a 66 that I polished the cone in the 90's, it still hasn't cracked and shoots straight. I have changed S&W springs and polished here and there some. But I had a break with revolvers,now they are coming back big time. I like to learn more.

As a hobbyist,I consult my machinist / gunsmith friends whenever in doubt. And often with no doubt at all, we just talk guns and repairs and "tweaks" quite a lot.

Like with many who cast,my gun hobby is much more than shooting.

In these days of scarcities there should be a thread on DIY tooling.

Tinkering around with an Italian replica 1858 and scrubbing out some unusual leading, the tops on one side of rifling grooves are actually pushed over by the force of the rough factory cut on the forcing cone.
    Aint never seen nothin' like that one before!

Are you familiar with the 25 cent Foul Out?

It is 2 D cell batteries. A strip of duct tape. 2 alligator clips. 2 three ft sections of 14 or 16 gauge woven or wrapped insulated copper wire. A steel clothes hangar. A section of heat shrink wrap insulation. A sheet of 220 sand paper. Solder a soldering gun. Household Ammonia. Distilled water. Plug for the barrel. A pair of side cutters or lineman pliers.
    You have a Foul Out when put together that you can make anywhere. It just uses reverse electro plating. Just attach the negative to the rod and positive to the frame/barrel.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers