Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Sewing machine

Boolit Master

Sewing machine

I started building knives a few years back and I'm geting to the point that I'll give them away well a knife without a scalbert is kinda silly so I started doing leatherwork

Today my wife gave me a elnita sewing machine .. It says it will do two layers of 8 oz leather ?

I've never had a sewing machine before so any info is useful

Right now the machine will punch threw 3 layers of 6 to 7 oz untel I use thread just normal cotton I have a number 20 needle coming so I can use never thread... but I'm not very hopefull
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Get needles and thread from somewhere that sells upholstery supplies for working on cars & boats.

They'll have the right needles and the heavier nylon thread. That will work for thinner leather jobs.

If you want the real big heavy sewing done & thread like shoe soles are put on with,
    you'll need to find a shoe repair shop and cut a deal with them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I use two semi-industrial machines to sew nylon Cordura fabric and ballistic nylon. One will sew through 16 layers of ballistic. Research the needles compatible with your machine and buy some larger ones. The size of the shank and size of the eye determine what thread you can use. Basically if the needle can hang off a piece of the thread, and slide easily from one end to the other as you raise/lower your hands, the eye is big enough.
    Find out the size designation of the needles, don't be bound to only ordering needles listed as your brand. There are many good aftermarket sellers on eBay with needles. I am recently using Organ brand from Asia, and they seem to be doing fine.

Hope this helps!

Bulldogger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    I've never had a sewing machine before.
    If you can cook, do dishes, and wash cloths you might make some unsuspecting woman a good catch.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I can do all them things....You got any rich ones in mind
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    I can do all them things....You got any rich ones in mind
    But would you want to work for her as a butler?
    Or have you something else in mind?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    My grandmother gave me her treadle sewing machine when she moved to CA in 1959. I used it to sew leather, 1/8" thick canvas belt material and even beer cans (the old steel ones) For the beer cans I had to punch holes first then run the machine needle through the punched holes.
    If you get the right needles and hand feed, I figure any machine will sew leather. Just goes slow that's all.

Boolit Master

Oddly I have been cooking, cleaning, sewing and crocheting since I was nine. When I was teenager my mom would joke and say I would make a good wife one day. She taught those things herself because though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Okay Traffer, I give. Why did you sew beer cans?

Boolit Master

You want to get a wedge point needle. Also I suspect your working beyond maximum for that machine.

My current machine is a cobra class III. That thing can punch through about 1" of leather with ease.

If you get serious about this knife and sheath making check out a machine like this.

https://leathermachineco.com/product...-foot-machine/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Okay Traffer, I give. Why did you sew beer cans?
    Made hinges out of leather and beer cans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    You want to get a wedge point needle. Also I suspect your working beyond maximum for that machine.

My current machine is a cobra class III. That thing can punch through about 1" of leather with ease.

If you get serious about this knife and sheath making check out a machine like this.

https://leathermachineco.com/product...-foot-machine/
    Interesting pulley mechanism/layout. Looks like it has a lot of torque. Not a statement I would make about most sewing machines! My Pfaff 1245 can only handle about 3/8" leather/cordura.

BDGR

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Made hinges out of leather and beer cans.
    I figured you were going to say you made those funky hats I used to see at county fairs...

Boolit Master
    My Dad farmed with horse-drawn machinery. He repaired harness using my mothers old treadle sewing machine and a heavy-duty needle. As far as I can recall, he just took it real slow and careful.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Or just hand sew and save yourself a lot of time and trouble. I do Cowboy Action shooting leather items as my job, and have never found the necessity of a sewing machine. They sew faster, but not better, especially if you have a lot of curves. Now, I have 5-6 older singer sewing machines, and sew cloth items, and I sew on LOTS of Boy Scout patches on uniforms, but nothing leather. And I sometimes make my own clothing for the Cowboy matches, so I do know how to sew. Still prefer to hand sew leather. More control, and I think it looks better.

Boolit Master

For the length of stitching, as others have said, manual saddle stitch. I could knock out a standard sheath in probably 20 minutes. A couple of recommendations:

Stitching horse
    Ritza Tiger thread .08-.10 size
    3.5mm pricking irons
    Dead blow hammer for irons
    Recommended harness needles for above thread.

I hand stitch all my holsters and 2 x 8-10oz belts.

Buckleguy.com for thread and possibly hardware (only importer of thread in U.S.) and he just started carrying Sedgewick's english bridle leather.

Tandy or ebay for pricking irons.

Google leather stitching pony. You can stitch without but, you will handicap and frustrate yourself on trying to get nice uniform stitches.

Utube: Armitage leather saddle stitch.
    Last edited by Greg S; 12-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just built a stitching pony it did help. I put down the easy sticher. Had sewing is easier. The three prong puch I have I don't like. I'm going to try a pricking iron see if I like it better

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

I have never cottoned to stitching ponies, and I have 2. I prefer to use a stitching wheel to mark the leather and sewing awls. It is more time consuming to hand sew but I try to do most of my sewing while watching TV with the wife, and do 2 useful things at one time.