Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New sabot prototype

Boolit Bub

New sabot prototype

Hello all, new to the forum, I have a sabot prototype for 12g slugs that should be able to handle higher velocities than the RSS Sabots. Still testing as of right now.

It didn't happen without pics.

BB

Banned
    Talk is always cheap, we want pictures.
    Specially I can't even read.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your experience here and I'm pretty sure many members will enjoy following your sabot development. Be sure to read the rules and don't be afraid to ask questions. The most important is the 30 posts/ 30 day rule for qualification to sell in Swapin & Selling (S&S).
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all, I will have pictures after the new year. Still working out some kinks.

Boolit Man
    Work it up for 20 gauge, too!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorcurtis View Post
    Work it up for 20 gauge, too!
    Already in the works if the 12 ga. model turns out well, what diameter bullet/slug would people want to see in a 20?

And 410. I bought mine for the purpose of shooting slugs and it hasn't happened yet, some four years later.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to try and improve a shotgun sabot, I would look to using a larger caliber. Something like 62 caliber .620" in 12 gauge. In 20 gauge, 50 caliber might make sense, but I would rather see 54 caliber .540" bullets.

The real problem is accuracy. Nothing 2000 fps plus has ever been accurate in a shotgun.

Boolit Bub
    The problem with .410 is that getting results from a smooth bore is very difficult with this type of shell. As far as accuracy from high velocity shells, my gun shoots them very well and flat, I know different guns like different ammunition, so I will say that the gun I will be testing with for 12 gauge is a Mossberg 695. I have had success with Fusion, SST, and XP3 slugs. They are just getting expensive to purchase.

Banned
    Greetings Acknott, right now all big Ammo makers are offering 2000 fps for 300 gr slug sabots.
    Partition Gold carries a hefty 385 grain sabot slug. With a muzzle velocity of 1850 fps (3-inch)

You face tough challenges to out do them as they all talk about 150 to 175 yards.
    I wish you all the Best.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Greetings Acknott, right now all big Ammo makers are offering 2000 fps for 300 gr slug sabots.
    Partition Gold carries a hefty 385 grain sabot slug. With a muzzle velocity of 1850 fps (3-inch)

You face tough challenges to out do them as they all talk about 150 to 175 yards.
    I wish you all the Best.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Yes I know, out-doing them isn't necessarily the goal as much as making a product for reloaders to match them for a lesser cost. I believe I can make a product that will hold up to the velocity and charges, the hard part is finding the safe loads to get those velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by Acknott View Post
    Yes I know, out-doing them isn't necessarily the goal as much as making a product for reloaders to match them for a lesser cost. I believe I can make a product that will hold up to the velocity and charges, the hard part is finding the safe loads to get those velocities.
    I believe in you, brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    So I am ready to revisit this venture, last year I did successfully load and test my sabots, but the results were less than satisfactory. I made them from Nylon and they were very stiff, and I believe I undersized them as well. I am planning to remake them .08-.10 larger in diameter and maybe switch to ABS? I will upload some pictures of the original ones later today.

Banned
    Greetings, what diameter were you using for 12 and 20 ga Sabots?
    What size bullet are you designing your sabots to take?

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Bub
    I have only made and tested the 12 gauge so far. .720 is the diameter I used with .500-.503 diameter bullets. I need to make the sabot itself have a larger diameter, I am ok with the interior diameter, however I can make it with any diameter I choose. I have also been mulling over the idea of a heavier bullet in the sabot as well.

Boolit Master

Uncle Dino will have sabots sometime in the spring....and boolits that actually fit. The man has a genius for designs that work. His bullet business is going great (5 people working for him now) and just not a lot of time for the forum now.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Acknott:

I'd suggest using Delrin for the sabots and making them somewhat over "standard" 12 ga. diameter. I am a bit confused by rifled shotgun bores and would have figured that the manufacturers would have standardized at least on groove diameter but... apparently not!

I have read of very large groove diameters in USH barrels and the Remington 870 I borrowed slugged at 0.727" groove diameter so small. The rifled choke tube I ordered is 0.730" groove diameter.

I'd go with a sabot O.D. of at least 0.730" and likely larger (0.735"?) so it can squeeze to fit any groove diameter. Rifling tends to be very shallow so not much to grab if the sabot is undersize.

My opinion anyway.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Here they are, I did some comparisons to a Hornady SST sabot today, the SST sabot measures .724. The sabot base seems to expand a bit under pressure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16142837251489115155850205025762.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	278472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1614283794350943826025858318862.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	278473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16142838235626958188581329559513.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	278474

Boolit Grand Master

Those huge gaps between the petals are not conducive to accuracy. Make the sabot a nearly full fit with only tiny slits between petals, and make the diameter far larger, .732" would be a good number to shoot for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast