Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TITEGROUP pistol powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Just curious as to why Titegroup would’nt “be kind” to p/c bullets when everything else I’ve used has worked well with P/C. So far it’s been good with B-eye, 231, Red, Green and Blue Dot, Clays, Unique, Herco, SR4759, 2400, HS6, Win 571, H-335, H-4895, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, and even 2f black, Black MZ, and Triple-7. I picked up a pound today to try so will have to use some and find out myself. Suspect I’ll try .38 spec. ,.357 plinkers, .32 S&W, .32 Mag. and .327. These will all have P/C boolits so we will see how it goes.
    It’s in the definition of “kind to” and “worked well.” Since neither post defined the terms I’ll just guess. Double base powders tend to soften and even dissolve powder coating. This is easily seen on the base of powder coated bullets, especially if stored nose down. This hasn’t been shown, to my knowledge, to affect performance. TG is a double base powder.

Color of case soot. Very dense. Very easy to double-charge in a large case like 38spl for those who are working with a non-progressive press.

But once loading technique is addressed, TiteGroup is a very versatile powder with a wide load range.

Boolit Buddy
    Some people like it because it meters well. Others don't like it because it doesn't fill the case enough. Both are for the exact same reason: pick your poison. It is economical and (very importantly) data is abundant for it for many cartridges. My only uses for it are for target loads, and I prefer 700X, Red Dot, American Select or N320, as they do fill the case well and are quite accurate.

Boolit Mold
    No experience with Titegroup in .45 Colt or .40 S&W.

But, works GREAT in .380 ACP and 9mm Luger for anything from mild to wild. Most accurate loads in both cartridges are with Titegroup.

Have also used in .44 Special with cast bullets with excellent results (midrange loads only)... bullet/case ratio is similar to .45 Colt so I think would work well for similar application.

Great propellant, versatile and cost effective. These are small charges in big cases like .45 Colt, so pay attention when reloading. If you are using a progressive press, there should no problems with a double charge.

Boolit Man
    This is an old thread and powder is much harder to obtain now,so that factors in. I have been using titegroup for pistol cartridge silhouette in .32 s&w long from a 24" barrel and getting great results in economy and performance. The projectile is a hard cast plain base 100gr flat nose and the load is 2grns! That figures out to 3500 rnds per pound! As so many have already cautioned,it is very important not to double charge these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can't speak for your 32 but a few years ago I was loading some 44 Rem Mag with Titegroup. I loaded 9.2 grns. for what I thought was a 240 grn. lead bullet. It ended up the bullet weight was 250 +/- a grn. Luckily, I was shooting these out of a Super Redhawk because I had to drive the cases out with a piece of cleaning rod. It didn't hurt the gun but opened my eyes.

I later loaded the same bullets with 9 grns. even with no ill effects.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Titegroup is great stuff, until it isn’t. I sure miss my S&W model 627, or at least I’m missing the top half of the cylinder and top strap.

Titegroup and Longshot are my go to powders since I can’t find any Unique anymore. I load for .45LC, .45ACP, .38/.357, and 9mm mostly. They are good powders that don’t seem to be too dirty, and I get decent accuracy out of them. I recommend either.
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Titegroup has a high nitroglycerin content. (About 40% from info I have) That means it will do the things like
    Loud
    Hot Burn
    Able to go from well behaved to way-too-hot quickly as you close in on maximum loads in pistol cartridges
    Chemically attacks especially RCBS powder measures hoppers
    In high humidity conditions, powder left exposed to the atmosphere can clump very firmly and clog powder measure bars and drop tubes
    Smokey and sooty unless chamber pressures are maximum
    Very fine granules - so it meters well but also leaks out of some measures

Sound kinda like Bullseye? Same levels of NG content.

I've loaded bunches in .45 Colt and .45 Auto for cast bullet target use. Works well, but other powders work better for me in those applications - like WST and Clay Dot.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garrisonjoe View Post
    Titegroup has a high nitroglycerin content. (About 40% from info I have) That means it will do the things like
    Loud
    Hot Burn
    Able to go from well behaved to way-too-hot quickly as you close in on maximum loads in pistol cartridges
    Chemically attacks especially RCBS powder measures hoppers
    In high humidity conditions, powder left exposed to the atmosphere can clump very firmly and clog powder measure bars and drop tubes
    Smokey and sooty unless chamber pressures are maximum
    Very fine granules - so it meters well but also leaks out of some measures

Sound kinda like Bullseye? Same levels of NG content.

I've loaded bunches in .45 Colt and .45 Auto for cast bullet target use. Works well, but other powders work better for me in those applications - like WST and Clay Dot.

good luck, garrisonjoe
    This is my experience. Great stuff for economical lighter loads but things get squirrelly when close to max.
    I switch to a slower powder if ramping up the power.

Titegroup looks very lonely down there in straight lines cases…I thought Bullseye was hard to see! Guess it’s not that much of an issue in shallower 380 cases. I’m one of those old cranks who still uses single stage presses (RCBS Rockchucker, Lee) and looks over each charged case to eyeball/inspect powder levels. I use HP38 for my 38 Spl standard velocity loads and it’s nice and shiny down in those cases to see!

Just use caution like any other powder I use by hogdon all of them are dangerous if not used correctly I use lee dippers checked on a scale and a 40 round load block I even load 45 colt ruger only loads Accurate and powerfull per Hogdons loas data

.45 A U T O

Forum software thinks I'm yelling and won't let me write it correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience with titegroup powder in the 44 magnum was great . After looking at hodgdon's load data I settled on 8 grs with the real Keith swc , HG 503 . Lyman 429421 will work fine also . Anyway the 8 gr load was a real winner . Great " everyday load " that would take of most business that needs taking care of . I have found that 7 grs in the 41 magnum another winner using a 210 - 220 gr bullet . So , titegroup has found a home with me . It produced good accuracy , burned clean and I didn't notice over heated barrels . Regards Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123