Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had my back surgery yesterday morning

Sounds like you're doing fantastic. Had 4 surgeries so far and each had a different recovery. Don't over do it because it may hurt less and ease back into walking. Wouldn't of believed just walking really helps but it did for me at least. Had a hard time just walking to the mail box and back before I got my L4/5-S1 fused. 8 days out and I was doing the 90 year old man shuffle 1/4 mile every day and eventually worked it up to 4. I still regularly walk and will kick it up a bit when my back acts up. There's PT which you should do, but also found occupational therapy to help a great deal. I was regularly aggravating my back which would act up later and didn't even know why and other times I knew exactly what I had done.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Mr. Wolf.

Moderator Emeritus

I will say I am impressed as all get out with folks that posted they are outside walking around within a few days of surgery. My situation is a bit different in that my mailbox is over 3/4 mile down mountain and all and it's cold out there. I do what I can. Did a load of laundry yesterday with my extended grabber and looked for a lost TV remote with no locator from son's visit. That looking hurt more than laundry. I have not taken any of the surgery pills for a few days now but am feeling where they worked on. Actually getting some sleep and all. Figure by this time next week I will drive for a doc appointment.

Some tips for those considering this type of surgery without benefit of sevants help : Long ski pole type walking stick and extended reach grabber are worth their weight in gold (I am 6' and about 210). I had prepped the house prior but little things like making sure that items you use regularly are high up in fridge. That phones, pills, rx are all within reach of your bed. Funny you would think rolling over is easy. Nope. Over 200lbs of dead weight at that point. Keep a laxative around and thermometer to check for fever. Pain pills can constipated and trust me you do not want to push any harder than necessary.

I will discuss any other issues with folks here or in PM. Again thanks everyone.

Happy the surgery was a success, hoping for a complete recovery. Keep your spirits up and keep on doing what the doctors order.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

It sure sounds like you're doing great so far! Like has been mentioned by so many already, for me it was be careful to not over do anything, and walking helps speed recovery. (But watch where you step!) With your continuing positive outlook you're on the right track.
    Best of luck to you in your ongoing recovery!

Boolit Master

WELL DONE you tough nut
    I am impressed and thank you for your
    insights
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Mr Wolf, Congrats
    Do everyone a favor & hang in with the PT therapy. It's tough to "stretch" your limits. I'm still going back (pun intended) for PT & massage after 2 yrs. You are more fortunate than some, that your walks are farther. Sometimes it's a long haul to get distance, endurance, & flexibility we want. I agree that stretching is good, overdoing it is bad, Keep on keeping on.
    Carl

Moderator Emeritus

I wanted to update and thank everyone for their prayers and support. Been about three weeks now since surgery. I walked to the mailbox which is about 3/4 mile away downhill and has about 20-30% incline coming back. Actually did that the last two days. No numbness, dragging legs, stopping to get feeling back, etc.. What a difference. It was incredible to me the improvements made each week. First week was ok with just having the surgery. Week two was wow I am getting better every day. Week three was I can't believe I had surgery recently.

I have my follow-up exam on 1/6. Curious as to what they will have me do as I "think" I am doing really well and beyond what they expect. Not to say I didn't overdo it a few times but within reason. Actually felt even better the following day from pushing it. Hard part now is finding things to do within the parameters the doc outlined. Guess I will find out next week. Thanks again everyone and if anyone is on the fence or nervous about having that type of surgery just pm me. We can talk in private.
    Ron

Banned
    I have a few things to say. First I went thru it in the mid 80's when their methods were more like a butcher than someone that was supposed to be skilled. For the most part attitude plays an important part in recovery that and common sense. Don't be a dumb *** and try to do more than your capable of. Baby steps you walk a distance for three or 4 days and increase it slightly. You don't for instance walk .5 mile one day and a mile the next. You ease into things and if something doesn't feel right you stop.

Anyway your on the road to recovery. You have a positive mental attitude and by your posts it sound like you have a handle on things. I will wish you the very best luck and hopes for a speedy recovery.

Boolit Grand Master

I had my first surgery in the mid 70's and my scar looks like something you would see on a football! I agree with what 6bg6ga says, baby steps and moderation. It sounds like what Mr Wolf is doing.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.

Moderator Emeritus

Those procedures have come a long way since the 70's and 80's. My cousin has had around nine operations if I remember right and he is two years older than me. Only reason I had them do the one disc was it was making it possible for me to drive and see my kids. Your surgeries required a lot more down time and cutting with more scar tissue generated in think.

One thing about getting older (59) is your body screams a bit louder when you get close to over doing it. I may be dumb but not stupid - I think

Moderator Emeritus

Change in surgical procedure has been huge, they used to go in through your stomach... laid all your organs out on the table to get to the spine... now it is from the back and arthroscopic mostly. My neck surgery was a little 1.5" incision in the front right of the neck(in a skin crease so it barely shows)... instead of them slicing the back of the neck open for 5-6 inches! The less they disturb the muscles the faster you heal!

Moderator Emeritus

I am actually more sore from him moving muscles than the actual cutting and cleaning. It is very easy to forget I had the surgery which is why I have to constantly watch what I am doing. Would be real easy to do to much. I am grateful for folks like boerancher (from memory hope I got his name right), MaryB, etc. for sharing in their experiences. For someone who has never stayed overnight in hospital for my own issues, it really helps. Heh, my streak is still alive as I left the afternoon of my surgery They told me I was determined. Told them they were being nice and not the term I would have used.

Banned

Here's wishing you God speed with recovery.

Moderator Emeritus

9 surgeries since 2007, 8 on joints... wee bit of experience LOL 4 overnight stays...

Boolit Buddy
    Praying your progress keeps steady and moving upward. Thanks for the updates. Take care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12