Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Book on Casting boolits?

Boolit Bub

Best Book on Casting boolits?

Hey guys I'm looking for the best book with information on Casting boolits. We have casted for many years but very simple. Many different boolits and fiahing jigs. We pretty much kust used wheel weights. My dad is retired and is saying he really wants to start casting and shooting more. Even using cast for hunting deer. Our casting equipment is at my dad's and I really am not there enough to do much casting. My dad isnt computer savvy at all. I would hunt this forum down for the info I was looking for or would ask. To keep things simple for my dad. I would like to get him books he could read and reference to when he needed help. Any books videos or literature youd recommend I get to give to him would be great. If anybody has some stuff they no longer use that could be helpful to him id be interested in. I appreciate any suggestions.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Lyman Cast Bullet manual is good.

Boolit Master

I agree on the Lyman cast bullet manual.

Also... there's an older NRA Handloading book that had quite a bit of good/excellent articles
    on cast bullets. Might be the 1969 edition.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Get your dad an iPad and teach him how to find castboolits..

Boolit Master
    In 2015 my wife got me a kindle and got some sort of stick hooked up in the house . I guess she got tired of looking stuff up for me on the computer . This year she is training me to use a smart phone , but I'm not a good student . Try to get your pops using a poke and push screen portable computer , or one you can just tell what to do .
    It works well for the way us older people do things

Moderator Emeritus

Veral's book is pretty good.

Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets by Veral Smith (4th Edition)
    http://lbtmolds.com/Products/tabid/5806/Default.aspx
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Ingot to Target, free PDF

Haven't downloaded it in a while. It now has an intro by John Taffin.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cffpM1H2j0AHSl
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 12-04-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Ingot to Target, free PDF

Haven't downloaded it in a while. It now has an intro by John Taffin.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cffpM1H2j0AHSl
    +1 on Ingot to Target. You could even print it off and give to him if needed.

+1 on Lyman as well but Ingot to Target is free to start with

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    This year she is training me to use a smart phone , but I'm not a good student .
    Right with ya here. My clumsy fingers can't work a smart phone. Heck I don't even own a Cell Phone that's how much of a dinosaur I am.

Try here:https://castbulletassoc.org/downloads

There are a number of manuals that are downloadable for free.

Also look at: "Cast Bullets For Beginner and Expert" from the Cast Bullet Association, it is an encyclopedia of casting, available both hard copy and digital.

Lots of valuable data here,
    http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    Awesome guys i appreciate the info. My dad has a tablet but is more or less always getting lost. I've tried way too many times starting him here on the forum. 20min and 15 new tabs later is is on a page on the other site of the world. Walking him through it over the phone is about like teaching a rock to swim. With a book his chances of getting lost are minimal. Or I guess depends on the size of the book. He's old school and new technology is tough for him. I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from a widow last year. Thought I remembered some reloading books in there. After you guys said the Lyman book I had to look. Sure enough it was in the box. It's a place to start and i will Definetly look into others. We mainly cast to plink cheap. Would be fun to cast some bullets suitable for taking game too. So alloy mixes will be a new curve for him. I appreciate the info.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Verals book on bullet casting and performance is the BEST!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I use techniques learned from several places, RCBS cast book, lyman 3rd and 4th cast book, here, fryxells book. Veral Smiths book didn’t teach me anything really. I learned some from the handloaders art of bullet casting book.

I have a lyman 4th for sale in the swappin and sellin section as we speak.

The 1 and 2 books are useless in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Right with ya here. My clumsy fingers can't work a smart phone. Heck I don't even own a Cell Phone that's how much of a dinosaur I am.
    Invest in a stylus or two - I have the same problem with the smart phone, my fingers are too big for that little keyboard. A stylus allows me to use it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I would say the Lyman book and From Ingot to Target to start with. And if I can use a computer anyone can...........

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I use techniques learned from several places, RCBS cast book, lyman 3rd and 4th cast book, here, fryxells book. Veral Smiths book didn’t teach me anything really. I learned some from the handloaders art of bullet casting book.

I have a lyman 4th for sale in the swappin and sellin section as we speak.

The 1 and 2 books are useless in my opinion.
    I also have Veral Smiths book, but I didn't really like it. Lyman book is a good one. And now, I'm looking for one more book to read because I want to find out something new, and I also need to write one paper that requires book analysis. It's just a uni task, but I want to do everything perfectly. I have enough time to read one book an then write. I don't have any problems with writing, and this tool https://studydriver.com/plagiarism-checker/ helps me a lot, because after using that plagiarism checkers I can be sure that my paper is original. And it's very important when you use books and some info from them in your writing. So, I'd be grateful for a book recommendation.
    Last edited by marklarson; 03-31-2023 at 04:46 AM.

I started with the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet guide. It is accurate with standard procedures and holds lots of information. HOWEVER, it’s hard to find anything on Powder Coating bullets, how they effect accuracy, how they effect velocity, etc., etc., etc. I see PC bullets all over social media with brass manufacturers, gun manufacturers, etc. BUT NO LOAD DATA. I’m using the Lyman #4 guide as a start and finding most of my loads for PC are equal to greater velocity. This is a grey area that time should catch up with.
    Anyone know of a guide for PCing boolits?

Boolit Grand Master

I consider Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook #3 [the information and how to front section] to be the best for the novice bullet caster to learn bullet casting from.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by marklarson View Post
    I also have Veral Smiths book, but I didn't really like it. Lyman book is a good one
    I think Veral's book is most useful to those who already have a good grasp on what they are doing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast