Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First squirrel with a 308!

Jjed are the horns of those Bull squirrels curved up like a buffalo or spread wider like a long horn? Are they from Spain? Sure would like a pic.

Boolit Buddy
    I also like to squrial hunt with cast in center fire rifles. 60 grain in 223, 165 in 30-30 and 180 in 308, 30-06 and 303. If that is not a big enough cal. I have used a 240swc in 44 mag, a 260 in 45 Colt and 250 in 375 H&H. Love caststeve

Quote Originally Posted by kavemankel View Post
    I like the setup. Never really gave any thought to using subs on squirrel. Thanks for the inspiration. Is your suppressor setup overbore like .338, or have you had any baffle strikes with cast bullets. I have always been a little scared of that. I don't want to go through the "pita" to send one back to have it fixed.
    I haven't experienced any baffle strikes. On my form1 I have 7 cone with spacers between and a "1.5 blast chamber. The 1st two cones are drilled 13/32, the rest 25/64.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Gunn View Post
    Howdy again, gents,

Here's a culinary question related to "iamdrgrass's" Post # 26 above: what variety of jack rabbit are you shooting, in what part of the country are you finding him, and what's your favorite recipe to render said critter into table fare?

My rabbit munching has been limited to the cottontail persuasion, whether found in the east, midwest or western states.

I've run across, but never eaten the huge whitetail jackrabbits of Great Plains and Inter-Mountain West. They seem to be a very robust animal with plenty of meat on them, but I've never had the opportunity to put one on the table. Am I missing a potentially good feed?

In my much younger service days, I used a .22 rimfire pistol to thin the population of antelope jackrabbits in the desert of west Texas and southern New Mexico. But those poor, scrawny things looked too unappetizing to consider for consumption. They seemed to be little more than fuzzy rawhide bags with big, long ears.

Maybe, though, I just wasn't hungry enough.

And, although, if I remember correctly, the skinny antelope jacks I shot had a bit of a black tail, I'm told that elsewhere in the west there exists another, separate jackrabbit species commonly known as the blacktail. I've had no personal experience at all with the blacktail bunnies, and don't know how they're viewed as human fodder.

But, it's my guess that the jackrabbits you're finding edible are the Great Plains whitetail jack.

I know that the whitetail changes colors -- from warm-weather brown to winter white -- and I'm also guessing that it's same creature called the varying hare, or snowshoe rabbit, in upper Great Lakes region and the Northeast.

I'm aware the snowshoe rabbit is considered decent tablefare, and maybe you're just dining on the western version of that big fellow with the long, wintertime white ears tipped in black.

Anyway, lemme know the species in your skillet, and pass along a couple recipes. I'll be much obliged.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
    Carry Gun,
    I am in S.E. Idaho. The Jacks we have here are of the blacktail variety. We only keep the hind quarters because the front end isn't worth the time chewing lol you can get a lot of mileage out of them. We also watch the livers and for any weird looking things when we skin. Me and my boys debone and soak and wrince in salt water a couple of times before we cook.
    As far as recipes go we like street tacos, obviously chill, rabbit caccitore over pasta. I also got kicked off another forum about 2008 when I gave the recipe for "Hope And Change Stew" which included jacks lol. It is basically beans, bacon, turnips, collard greens/kale what ever greens you have slow simmered all day. Apparently it was to political in nature for the said group of "preppers".
    One other thing on cooking jacks and other weird things that me and the boys have tried, I ALWAYS BOIL FOR A LONG TIME!!!! and use garlic. I figure protein is protein I will eat your dog but not mine. I also cant bring my self to eat a skunk lol.
    I am honestly not really extreme or weird, I just have a lot of respect for people in 3rd world conditions and their culinary options. I figure if they can/have/ and need to eat out of the norm stuff well I better try it at some point and know how to make it taste good just in case I need too.
    FYI CROW IS REALLY WEIRD WHEN BOILED,the water turns grey and frothy, but it did taste fine. And jacks dont taste like chicken it is more like venison that has ran a bit far so it is kinda gamy but not over whelming.

BEEF its whats for dinner tonight
    Dan

Boolit Man

Thanks Dan,

If I ever get the chance, I intend to try jack rabbit. But I doubt I'll get far enough west to grab one anytime soon. I'm getting too fat, too lazy, and too old to tromp the timber and prairie like I use to do.

My latest unusual kitchen-table adventure involved fried muskrat, and I'm not quite sure what to say about it. The meat was actually tender and mild in flavor, but it was accompanied by the ever-present "musky" aroma that gives the critter its' name. The musky odor isn't really offensive, it's just that it's always there and you can't seem to get away from it.

I guess I just prefer a meat with a little less olfactory stimulation than muskrat offers. I can see why some people might like it, though.

Something else I want to try sometime is the "nutria," a much larger, imported, water-loving relative of the common muskrat. I'm told the U.S. southern states are over-run with the transplanted South American critter that seems to thrive where ever there's enough water to wet his feet.

They say the nutria looks much like an over-sized (8 to 10 pounds or better) muskrat, with a round rather than flattened tail. As long as he doesn't carry the muskrat's "musky" odor (and, I don't know if he does or not) I'd be willing to toss one into a skillet and put him on the table.

Maybe some of our southern forum members have had a closer association with the nutria, and can offer an informed opinion on his edibility.

But, your advice to "ALWAYS BOIL FOR A LONG TIME!!!!," brings to mind a table-tale from long ago, when a 11-year-old boy placed a .22 Short slug into the neck of a very old groundhog perched at the edge of his burrow. Of course, the tough old woodchuck seemingly took the little bullet in stride, and just disappeared down his hole.

The next day, the same boy wondered near the burrow again, but this time he carried a 16 gauge double-barrel instead of the .22. Peering into the dark cavity, the kid spied -- a couple feet down the hole -- a large, brown bundle of hair that seemed to slowly rise and fall.

The movement in the hole was the result of the labored breathing of the very sick woodchuck, which quickly succumbed to an ounce of "sixes" from the 16-bore. A long stick with a wrap of barbed wire on the end resulted in the chuck being hauled to the surface and proudly carried home.

Gramps took a look at the 12-pound critter, smiled, and rummaged in his pocket for his folding knife.

Maybe he was trying to teach that a man oughta eat what he shoots, but, whatever the reason for his actions, he ended up placing the dismembered rodent in a big pot of salted water that boiled, and boiled and boiled.

I (I mean, the boy) remember being disappointed when -- much later at the kitchen table -- the tough old varmint proved as resistant to the human tooth as he'd earlier proved to be nearly immune to the .22. Not sure if Gramps was disappointed, though he, too, was unable to gnaw and yank a chunk of chuck off the bone.

That happened nearly 60 years ago, but it's a hard memory to forget.

Happy trails, and tasty skillets,

-- Cary Gunn --
    Last edited by Cary Gunn; 12-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Nice job, and thanks for sharing.

All you guys shooting hollow point 22s at small game, stop it. Get a moa firearm and solid boo lets. When you can consistently do a headshot on a squirrel you can hit anything your shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given a headshot may strike he jaw of a squirrel sized animal and just wound the critter and the head is the most moving part, combined with the fact that a chest shot leaves more margin for error in terms of target size, I’ll stick with my subsonic CCI hollowpoints, thanks.

MOA 22s are talked about on the Internet far more commonly than they are found in real life in terms of 100 yard shots. Restricting oneself to a realistic 60 yards for shots at squirrel and similar sized game, the more likely to actually be attained grouping of three quarter inch at fifty yards suffices for nearly all 22 small game hunting.
    Last edited by 35remington; 12-07-2019 at 08:40 PM.

That is a consideration. I once shot a hare in the jaw. I knew I had hit it and was puzzled that it ran off. I watched where it went and went on a slow intercept course. I found it sitting there in the long grass and gave it a shoulder shot. I've never gone for a headshot again. The thought of that hare starving to death ....

A chest shot doesn't destroy any meat with subsonic (or supersonic for that matter).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with big boolit on small game. I personally am going to use my 22 hornet for small game simply because I have one and need to use it. Although a light (ish) 303 boolit in my lightweight sporterized, long barreled 1896 No 1 with a SMLE barrel is waiting patiently in my safe.

This one won't be getting a suppressor. What it will be getting are light loads of BullsEye equivalent under 145 grain paper patched smooth sides. Subsonic and reasonably quiet.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 12-13-2019 at 01:13 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

First squirrel with a 308!

Pressure cookers are your friend with old meat , old beans, etc.
    Once given a bunch of beans in quart jars from who knows when found in a basement. Cooked 3 days at a low boil. No chance! Pulled out the pressure cooker, added the beans with a bit of oil to keep down the foam, brought up to pressure and let them go 45 minutes......beans for dinner !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 12-13-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I can’t wait for antlerless season to be over on Sunday here in Wisconsin! The reason being is I have about a dozen fox squirrels running around by my tree stand. I always throw them in the crockpot until the meat falls off the bone. I use it a lot in hamburger helpers or just mix it up with barbecue sauce to make sloppy Joe’s. Tree rats taste pretty good when cooked correctly. Reminds me I have some turtle meat I need to thaw out.

Boolit Master

First squirrel with a 308!

I shot 2 grays in my house . Chewed through soffit into attic. Found a hole into my drop ceiling downstairs. Shot 1 in drop ceiling, other in kitchen. Ate em for revenge! Who says revenge isn’t sweet?

Sheridans rule!

Boolit Man
    Sure looks like a lot of fun and great practice. I can't wait to put a can on mine and try my hand at big bore small game hunting. If anything
    sure would keep them from telling on me while in my deer stand.
    KW
    Lifetime Reloader
    Veteran
    NRA- Benefactor

Banned
    Wow that's crazy. first time I heard someone shooting squirrels with a 308.

I hunted rabbits as a kid with a civilian, sporting model, Browning BAR in 30-06. That rifle was used on everything and carried with me anywhere a teenage boy could walk within the limits of home before bedtime in Alabama. I would be in jail today, along with my parents.Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    That is a consideration. I once shot a hare in the jaw. I knew I had hit it and was puzzled that it ran off. I watched where it went and went on a slow intercept course. I found it sitting there in the long grass and gave it a shoulder shot. I've never gone for a headshot again. The thought of that hare starving to death ........
    Thank you for sharing your experience. The head of a squirrel is small enough that a 30 caliber boolit will swiftly end the animal almost regardless of shot placement on said head. A rabbit may be different. I use a 22 Hornet for rabbits.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

My first squirrel(s) taken was in the early ‘70’s! The firearm was a Win. Model 88, running a Lyman 311466 bullet! Even with head shots, there was some bloodshot meat in the front quarters. I had read about some of the pioneers “barking” squirrels to minimize meat damage. It’s pretty effective, but you need to get to them pretty quick as sometimes they’re only stunned pretty good. They can attempt an escape, when they come around a bit! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master
    I've kind of wanted a Remington Model seven in .308 with a wood stock for a long time. The opportunity and money just never came together. Nowadays, I have enough projects in line to not really want to take on another.

Never shot a squirrel with a .308, but I have used a 6.5-06 on one. It was a head shot that obliterated the head fast enough the front shoulders weren't bloodshot.

I've always been careful picking up a squirrel with no visible cause of death, ever since one turned around and bit my dog Molly on the nose. Ticked her off a bit it did, she ensured it was thoroughly dead before giving it to me. (Molly was a German Shepard/ Collie cross that was one of the best friends a boy could have).

Plus Dad told a story of one of his cousins having one come to life in his hunting coat pocket. Great hilarity ensued, except for the squirrel and said cousin.

Robert

Boolit Master

Popped a grey in the head with a .22 LR Solid as a teen. It ran all the way up the oak, ran out of oak, kept running even as it fell, and landed with a thump. I picked it up and saw brains . Happy camper! Then it turns it’s head and tries to bite me! Twisted its head around; snap! Unloaded solids and went with hp’s from then on. Don’t like surprises!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123