Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: a freinds knife and my own

Boolit Bub

a freinds knife and my own

here is a pic of a freinds knife,
    rosewood scales and 12C27 blade-

my knife has mystery burl scales.. (the tag with the name had fallen off )
    blade out of 12C27

/Roger

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

I really like watching shows like forged in fire. Yours is very impressive.

Boolit Master
    Very nice knives. Did ya'll make them? Ya'll make the sheats? If so, more details please. 12C27 is a very good steel that I used to use, then changed to 14C28N. When I could no longer get 14C28N easy I changed to AEB-L. Grinding info? Heat treating info?

Very good scales - what finish do you have on the handles?

Boolit Master
    Here is a Bowie I just finished. The blade is San Mai with 1095 core and 416SS cladding and a .005" layer of 99% pure nickel between the layers. The guard is wrought iron from an old wagon wheel I found on Dad's farm that came from Grandpa's farm. I expect it's well over 100 yrs old. The space is brass, then a layer of San Mai from the blade before it was drawn out thinner for the blade, then brass. The wood is African Ebony with a nickel silver pin to hold everything in place. I've not got the sheath made yet.

The brown stick holding pistol up is a section of mammoth ivory from a young mammoth.

Nice knives (all three pictured). Well made knives are a piece of art as well as being functional.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful knives guys! The first two are right down my ally, pretty to look at and highly functional. KenH , that Bowie is outstanding, the size and style doesn’t generally appeal to be but that knife is awesome. Probably the first Bowie I have ever seen that calls my name, very very nice. I really like the family connection in the iron guard. Well done!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Beautiful knives. Beautiful wood. You fellows are real craftsmen and should be proud of your work.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Very nice knives. Did ya'll make them? Ya'll make the sheats? If so, more details please. 12C27 is a very good steel that I used to use, then changed to 14C28N. When I could no longer get 14C28N easy I changed to AEB-L. Grinding info? Heat treating info?

Very good scales - what finish do you have on the handles?

Yes i made the knives and sheaths
    full flat grinds, they bare heat treated and cryo treated to 60-61hrc (i send my HT out)
    the scales have only been oiled, i use boiled linseed oil and terpentine att about a 50/50 mix.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .44 RF Express View Post
    Yes i made the knives and sheaths full flat grinds, they bare heat treated and cryo treated to 60-61hrc (i send my HT out) the scales have only been oiled, i use boiled linseed oil and terpentine att about a 50/50 mix.
    A job well done - Unless a person is doing LOTS of knives (which I'm not) it makes sense to send blades out for HT. I did purchase the electric oven so I could HT SS blades and purchased a Rc hardness tester, not because they made sense, but it's still a cheap hobby compared to a new Bass Boat {g}, and still cheaper than hanging out in bars.

I tend to prefer a full flat grind (FFG) myself for most knives, there are some I'll leave a grind line on. Your sheaths are really nice with good straight stitching. I wish all my sheaths turned out that nice. I don't get enough practice on sheaths since I do more kitchen knives and folders.

Again, good job on both the knives and sheaths. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Beautiful knives guys! The first two are right down my ally, pretty to look at and highly functional. KenH , that Bowie is outstanding, the size and style doesn’t generally appeal to be but that knife is awesome. Probably the first Bowie I have ever seen that calls my name, very very nice. I really like the family connection in the iron guard. Well done!
    Thank you so much for the nice words. That is only the 2nd Bowie I've made, the first was an exact copy of the Joe Musso Bowie (or as close as I could make). I'm pleased how it turned out. If interested in more Bowie stuff I can start another thread, don't wish to hi-jack this thread any further.
    Ken H>

Wow! Outstanding work, 44 RF Express.

Wow that's sweet!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.