MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger Super GP100 357

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger Super GP100 357

I decided to splurge a bit due to holidays, upcoming surgery, and divorce. I ordered one from my LGS and went to pick it up Friday. Owner was excited to see one but hadn't had a chance to give it a once over. We took it out of the case and noticed right off the grip was loose. Looked under the grip and the screw was all buggered up. Slight scratches on the crown and cylinders. Was really disappointed. Being shipped back tomorrow for a replacement. Hopefully new one gets here before surgery as I kinda wanted to let my son who is coming out to watch me for a few days know that it was his if anything happened. Was really surprised a distributor would let something in that condition out as new. Oh well. See what the next one looks like.

Boolit Master

I have 5 gp's from 1989 to 2017. The quality has gone down just like everything else.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a new SP-101 this past summer. It was poorly polished with what looked like marks from a coarse sanding belt on it, but at least it functions and is accurate. It seems like some Ruger employees don’t take any pride in their work.

Moderator Emeritus

Ouch. Not what I was expecting especially for that kind of money.

Boolit Master

Hope they send you a good one!

Boolit Master

I have 20 year old sp and a new one. The new one is more like a Charter Arms.

Banned
    Ruger set high production numbers during the Obama years and their quality suffered. They seemed to be operating on the principal of "get it out the door and we'll fix the ones that come back". I hoped their quality would improve when the demand slowed down but it sounds like it didn't.

On the plus side, I still hear good comments about their customer service, so I think Ruger is still a safe bet.

Moderator Emeritus

This is the most I have spent on a pistol. Almost $1100. Was supposed to be special occasion type thing and their website states all the additional stuff done. I hope this one was someone's return that ended up going back out as new? Hopefully distributor messed up or something.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    This is the most I have spent on a pistol. Almost $1100. Was supposed to be special occasion type thing and their website states all the additional stuff done. I hope this one was someone's return that ended up going back out as new? Hopefully distributor messed up or something.
    What kind of GP100?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    What kind of GP100?
    The super GP100, Ruger currently only makes one version.

@MrWolf, we would appreciate if you could give some dimensions of the super GP100 when you get the new one. From what I can tell, it is a slicked up version of the super redhawk, without the frame extension, and with a shrouded barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My first thought was you weren't the first guy to get this pistol. A returned gun passing through the distributor's hands and out to you is a very possible idea. I once went to pick up a new pistol caliber carbine, only to find the "safety" padlock had been removed from its shipping bag, and had been rattling around inside the shipping box with the gun. The gun had lost that fight. Needless to say, that one didn't leave the shop with me.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The super GP100, Ruger currently only makes one version.

@MrWolf, we would appreciate if you could give some dimensions of the super GP100 when you get the new one. From what I can tell, it is a slicked up version of the super redhawk, without the frame extension, and with a shrouded barrel.
    It probably won't get here till next week which won't be a good time for me as I have my back surgery next week. Give me some recovery time and I will post them. I am also curious about the extras I am paying for.

Boolit Buddy
    Couple years ago I got one of the Mach Champion GP100 which I love. When I was buying it I also looked at plain jane GP100 and trigger, finish and everything else was better on the MC. But I think I paid $750 for a MC GP100 so for $1100 I wouldnt accept any flows neither. I prefer half lug barrels too.

Boolit Master
    I believe that Ruger (and most of American manufacturers) have settled for the idea that handling the items returned is cheaper than staffing a Quality Control Department. They figure that Joe Sixpack either doesn't know how things are supposed to be, or else doesn't care. I would much rather invest in a 15-20 year old Ruger than a newly manufactured one, personally. In fact, I decline to purchase a new Ruger product for just this reason. All they're concerned about is the bottom line (read: Short Term Profits), rather than customer satisfaction. Crank 'em out as fast as possible, and never mind quality. Repair or replace the ones that are returned, and continue on.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I believe that Ruger (and most of American manufacturers) have settled for the idea that handling the items returned is cheaper than staffing a Quality Control Department. They figure that Joe Sixpack either doesn't know how things are supposed to be, or else doesn't care. I would much rather invest in a 15-20 year old Ruger than a newly manufactured one, personally. In fact, I decline to purchase a new Ruger product for just this reason. All they're concerned about is the bottom line (read: Short Term Profits), rather than customer satisfaction. Crank 'em out as fast as possible, and never mind quality. Repair or replace the ones that are returned, and continue on.
    This simply is not true for the most part. American manufacturers as a whole have some of the best quality assurance in the world. It's still people handling these parts though, and no person is perfect. Sometimes stuff happens. Most of my background is in manufacturing, although not in QA or engineering. Throwing a lot of people into QA is not the answer. So many problems could be fixed right from the start by the guy either casting or machining the part. Again, those are people running those machines, and not exactly highly paid employees.

Having said that, Ruger quality right now is as good as it has ever been. They sure seem like they listen to customers. The Super GP100 is a direct result of people asking for a competition ready revolver. In the result that a bad gun does get through, Ruger sure seems to more than takes care of you. The best thing to do is what MrWolf did. Find the bad one before you take it home.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This simply is not true for the most part. American manufacturers as a whole have some of the best quality assurance in the world. It's still people handling these parts though, and no person is perfect. Sometimes stuff happens. Most of my background is in manufacturing, although not in QA or engineering. Throwing a lot of people into QA is not the answer. So many problems could be fixed right from the start by the guy either casting or machining the part. Again, those are people running those machines, and not exactly highly paid employees.

Having said that, Ruger quality right now is as good as it has ever been. They sure seem like they listen to customers. The Super GP100 is a direct result of people asking for a competition ready revolver. In the result that a bad gun does get through, Ruger sure seems to more than takes care of you. The best thing to do is what MrWolf did. Find the bad one before you take it home.
    I have to agree with this! The last few rugers that I have bought have had tight chambers, properly sized throats, and reasonable b/c gaps. The only negative difference that I have seen is the polishing before blueing hasn’t been as good. This results in an inferior appearance.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Sadly, alot of fanboys will also jump your case if you mention manufacturing flaws in a new gun. I've heard 'em all!

"What are you complaining about? It still goes bang, right?"
    "That's an economy model. If you want good parts fit, buy an expensive one."
    "Thats your fault, you should have test fired before you bought it!"
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

strange, since its introduction I have owned a dozen or more, the most recent a fine 6" HB 327 Federal,,, probably the best one yet, perfect fit and finish,,, outa the box accuracy with cast HP's proved chambers and throats better than some in the past, as the target proves at such high velocity and 50 yard accuracy for a 133 grn cast load,,,, 1541 fps under 1.5"m is pretty hard to beat even with a custom gun, this is bone stock!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final-sledgehamer-load-conf-copy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	252075
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG-7645.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	252074

I think you'l be quite happy with the replacement, I think to many expect the consistency we see leave Freedom Arms, for 1/4 the price! When they start selling brand new Model 83 for 1K lets see how well they do at not lettinga *** slip thru now and then!! I'll stick with Rugers and know if it ain't right, fer 2 grand less it will be made right! Enjoy the new GP, it will be a dandy!!!
    Last edited by wildcatter; 11-27-2019 at 11:30 PM.