WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 3D Printed Brass Catcher Project

Boolit Bub
    Can you post the stl files on castboolits?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It might make better sense to make a sticky here with URLs for sites like thingiverse, for 3d printed handy objects, and try to keep it up to date? STL files tend to be 100k+ for smaller objects (for example a micro SD card holder), a 3d printed brass catcher could be 1 Megabyte or larger potentially, bit large for on here I think?

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day , have you had a chance to get to the range to test out the brass catcher yet ? if so did it stay attached to the pistol and was it a success ? I am quite interested in this because if it works I will be able to have a .45 auto again .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Buddy
    Guys I made a stand up brass catcher from a cheap fishnet, a hoop of copper tubing, 2 wireties, empty tater sack & a block of 4x4. Sits on the bench right next to the rest & catches everything once in place. I really like the idea of 3D prints too, just wish we could find some method for print small metal parts. There is a world of need now for our vintage pieces.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    A thousand pardons everyone. Since retiring in 2018 I haven't really visited the Cast Boolits site as often as I used to. I had no idea that this thread was still live. I just happened to post another project over on the "Special-Projects" pages and I noticed after scanning through the forum that this project thread seemed to be still active.

Since the time I originally posted this brass-catcher project thread I have had about a dozen guys email me or message me about STL files. A couple of times I had to dig up those files cause I periodically clear all the files off of my laptop to make room for more stuff.

I have those Brass-Catcher files on a Zip file right now that I can easily email to any who might still be interested. I hope to upload all that stuff to my Thingiverse account in the near future. I thought when I retired I'd have alot more free time to do more of the things I'd been putting off till after I retired but, I've never been so busy since retiring from the work force.

HollowPoint

I dod something similar but don't have 3d printer, I molded a coat hangar to wrap around my hand instead of the gun and have a loop with net behind it so it does not matter which gun since it holds by a strap around back of my hand .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mf79 View Post
    I dod something similar but don't have 3d printer, I molded a coat hangar to wrap around my hand instead of the gun and have a loop with net behind it so it does not matter which gun since it holds by a strap around back of my hand .
    I thought of doing something similar before modeling the dedicated components to fit directly onto my hand guns. I did find that with my finished and tested 3D printed brass catcher parts they were aligned with the ejection ports of my pistols just fine but, I encountered a problem when I noticed that one out of four empties would hit the catch-net which was dangling across the face of the catch-net and just fall to the ground rather than into my catch-net.

The inertia of those ejected brass pieces was not enough to push their way into my catch-net. Using a couple of zip-ties I was able to place two ties across the top of the mouth of the 3D printed components to hold the catch-net up high enough to keep the sagging catch-net from blocking the entrance into the said catch-net. All is right with the world now.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    I'd like one for my TT 33 pistols. You have to look a county away to find your brass.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I'd like one for my TT 33 pistols. You have to look a county away to find your brass.
    I felt the same way about having to look for the brass ejected by my pistols. When out stumbling around in the desert and just stump shooting that ejected brass became nearly invisible when it hit the ground. At the shooting range, picking up my empty brass could sometimes become contentious if there were other shooters shooting the same calibers and also picking up their brass at the same time.

I think that a more universal brass catcher would be made to fit the palm of one's hand rather that making specific dedicated brass catchers for each and every model of semi auto pistol. I think that mf79 had a good idea with his design of a hand held brass catcher.

HollowPoint

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If brass pickup leads to contention, use a sharpie and mark your case heads in a unique manner, solves that

Boolit Mold
    Can you please share CAD file for 3D printing, I have Glock 21 and Glock 44 for which I need empty shell catcher. ameenkitekar@yahoo.co.in

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    This is a good thread that I missed a couple yr ago, but only got my 3D printer last year. Good thread - did you upload the stl files to thingiverse or one of those sites?

I LOVE all the sharing done on this site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12