MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson/45 Colt/Monson,Mass/8IN Heavy Vent Rib

Boolit Master

Dan Wesson/45 Colt/Monson,Mass/8IN Heavy Vent Rib

Hello All,
    I picked up my first Dan Wesson today in my favorite caliber. I've read Mr Taffin's fine work on the this firearm but was wondering if anyone has played with any different cast bullets. Thanks in Advance. Boats

Wow! That's a really nice acquisition. Congratulations on the find. Can't help with the CB question though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! That's a really nice acquisition. Congratulations on the find. Can't help with the CB question though.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Tried to get one of the DW revolvers in 45 Colt back in the day but the company went belly up before I got it. Nice looking revolver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Tried to get one of the DW revolvers in 45 Colt back in the day but the company went belly up before I got it. Nice looking revolver.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

have several dan wesson's in 357 mag but I'd be willing to bet the loads I use wont work in a 45 colt model. welcome to the club and now you can start searching for extra barrels at gun shows.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

In Remembrance

Wow I'm jealous, I think that looks better than my stainless 744. Maybe. I'm willing to bet if you shoot it much you will want another one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    have several dan wesson's in 357 mag but I'd be willing to bet the loads I use wont work in a 45 colt model. welcome to the club and now you can start searching for extra barrels at gun shows.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    Wow I'm jealous, I think that looks better than my stainless 744. Maybe. I'm willing to bet if you shoot it much you will want another one.
    Thanks

Banned
    That is a beautiful piece. It's rare to see a DW in any style or condition around here. You did well.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That is a beautiful piece. It's rare to see a DW in any style or condition around here. You did well.
    Ken
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 7445 stainless version of yours and have run some cast bullets thru it years ago either 300gr or 320gr I am sorry to say I haven't shot it much since I got my DW 445 SM. Guess I should dig it out of the safe and run some rounds thru it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    I have a 7445 stainless version of yours and have run some cast bullets thru it years ago either 300gr or 320gr I am sorry to say I haven't shot it much since I got my DW 445 SM. Guess I should dig it out of the safe and run some rounds thru it.
    Thanks for the info

A former brother-in-law bought one back when they were introduced that had the ported barrel. It worked very well with jacketed bullets but it was a pain in the rear to clean all the lead shavings out of all the little holes going all the way around the barrel. The ports jetted gas into a tunnel that had Escape holes at the top by the front site. I do remember it being very easy to shoot well and it was very accurate as all Dan Wesson's were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I like to run MP's .45-270 in HP form thru my S&W Model 25-5's.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    I like to run MP's .45-270 in HP form thru my S&W Model 25-5's.

Don
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A former brother-in-law bought one back when they were introduced that had the ported barrel. It worked very well with jacketed bullets but it was a pain in the rear to clean all the lead shavings out of all the little holes going all the way around the barrel. The ports jetted gas into a tunnel that had Escape holes at the top by the front site. I do remember it being very easy to shoot well and it was very accurate as all Dan Wesson's were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Never owned a DW but was impressed with them.

Was at the local gunsmith when he had a customer come in and drop off his .357DW along with a box of reloads. It didn't shoot right. We looked at it and noticed the the cartridges rattled when in the cylinder. The gunsmith took out his chambering reamer and it also just kinda wobbled in the cylinder. Hugely oversize. We took one of the reloads and pulled the bullet (140gn JHP). The case was full of powder, almost compressed load. It looked familiar so the gunsmith called the owner and asked what powder. Bullseye!!! When asked how much powder he said he just filled it up.

We were all impressed the gun was still in one piece. Owner sent the gun back to DW. They sent him a nice letter apologizing for the problem with the pistol and offering a refund of his purchase price.

Both the strength of the gun and their handling of that incident impressed me.

Very nice find, beautiful grips.
    I love shooting mine from a rest.
    Off hand I’m good for about 50 rounds.
    See Avatar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Never owned a DW but was impressed with them.

Was at the local gunsmith when he had a customer come in and drop off his .357DW along with a box of reloads. It didn't shoot right. We looked at it and noticed the the cartridges rattled when in the cylinder. The gunsmith took out his chambering reamer and it also just kinda wobbled in the cylinder. Hugely oversize. We took one of the reloads and pulled the bullet (140gn JHP). The case was full of powder, almost compressed load. It looked familiar so the gunsmith called the owner and asked what powder. Bullseye!!! When asked how much powder he said he just filled it up.

We were all impressed the gun was still in one piece. Owner sent the gun back to DW. They sent him a nice letter apologizing for the problem with the pistol and offering a refund of his purchase price.

Both the strength of the gun and their handling of that incident impressed me.
    Thanks for the interesting story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast