Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

Adding a small radius to the inside will help, and adding the 1/2 diameter washer to the opposite side recreates most of what was there as far as a collar. Only many thousands of cycles will prove it out but I feel confident with what i have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetmagnet View Post
    That's awesome

for some reason, it reminds me of this...

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    That's awesome

for some reason, it reminds me of this...

Yes. Yes thats it.

Just ordered 1 yesterday. Should be good for sizing boolitz, brass prep, de priming.................Now I need a boolit feeder!

Derek, with all that aerobic exercise on your arms.....you'll be able to climb any mountain! Maybe we ought to figure out a way to connect the thing to a bicycle ..... and exercise the legs every other day! I love it!

Boolit Master

Made another mod

Hi all,
    I posted another 3D printed mod to the Lee APP. Rather than do a bunch of cross-posting, you can click this link to jump to the post.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both-SM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	261913

Boolit Master

And yet another mod!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi all,
    I posted another 3D printed mod to the Lee APP. Rather than do a bunch of cross-posting, you can click this link to jump to the post.
    Ed

Name:	Both-SM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	261913
    Hi all,
    Made another one! You can read about it here.
    Ed

Name:	Slider.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	262027

Boolit Buddy
    Now in Beta Testing!

It's not the final design. I have left some things pretty raw and unorganized for the sake of testing/debugging. But now to process a ton-o-brass

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone have issues switching the lever around in order to make a roller handle?

The small black nut and washer on each side the secure the handle come loose. If I tighten them too hard it makes the press harder to move up and down.

Also, when flipping the handle pieces, there’s an extra little tab on each side that effects thightening everything down. I grinder those tabs almost flush.

I then had to add washers in order to line up things and lock washer as shown in the photo.

I’m gonna add some loctite before bed and see if that helps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    Anyone have issues switching the lever around in order to make a roller handle?

The small black nut and washer on each side the secure the handle come loose. If I tighten them too hard it makes the press harder to move up and down.

Also, when flipping the handle pieces, there’s an extra little tab on each side that effects thightening everything down. I grinder those tabs almost flush.

I then had to add washers in order to line up things and lock washer as shown in the photo.

I’m gonna add some loctite before bed and see if that helps.
    Hi psychbiker,
    When I did mine, I noticed those nuts are staked (i.e. it's a locknut.) There is supposed to be just a little freeplay between the handle and nut. Unfortunately, when it's taken off, it pretty much renders the stake ineffective. By you putting that lock washer on the nut, it takes away the free play and makes the handle hard to move. At this point, I think you have two options:

1. You can take the washer off and try to restake the nut and put it back on and it should hold tight onto the bolt.
    2. Remove the lock washer and just use Loctite to keep the nut there.

In either case, there needs to be a little play between the nut and the handle, so don't tighten the nut down too tight. I also put a dab of grease on the bolt and between the nut and handle piece. Hope this helps.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    I have not had that bolt out of mine , but if it is a shoulder bolt it does not need washers on either side and you will get more threads in the nut.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. Definitely had to file those tabs on the arms flat once they get flipped over. Filing them flat allows the arms to sit further flat against the press. I was able to remove the lock washers on the lower smaller the nuts were able to fit and the staked portion of the nut engaged.

I did add to big washers on the outside of the arms with the phillips screw. I had to ream out two washers with a stepped bit in order to get them to fit. I didn't epoxy the washers or loctite the lower nuts. I cycled the press a bunch and seemed good to go. Nothing loosened.

Making the handle on the other hand.....Used my drill press and was able to get a centered hole about 2/3 down a 4 3/16" dowel. Then used a longer bit by hand to finish and he hole came out off centered. Not a big deal but it bothers me. Think I'll do it again tomorrow and try and get the hole perfectly centered on both ends. I was also thinking about imbedding a 1/4" inside diameter nylon bushing on both ends, might make the hand rotate better. I'd just have to use a forstner bit wide enough and sink the bushing in to both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    Thanks guys. Definitely had to file those tabs on the arms flat once they get flipped over. Filing them flat allows the arms to sit further flat against the press. I was able to remove the lock washers on the lower smaller the nuts were able to fit and the staked portion of the nut engaged.

I did add to big washers on the outside of the arms with the phillips screw. I had to ream out two washers with a stepped bit in order to get them to fit. I didn't epoxy the washers or loctite the lower nuts. I cycled the press a bunch and seemed good to go. Nothing loosened.

Making the handle on the other hand.....Used my drill press and was able to get a centered hole about 2/3 down a 4 3/16" dowel. Then used a longer bit by hand to finish and he hole came out off centered. Not a big deal but it bothers me. Think I'll do it again tomorrow and try and get the hole perfectly centered on both ends. I was also thinking about imbedding a 1/4" inside diameter nylon bushing on both ends, might make the hand rotate better. I'd just have to use a forstner bit wide enough and sink the bushing in to both ends.
    Just checking if you got everything sorted out. Like you said, the protruding part of the arm needs to be ground completely flat or it will cause issues. I used a little blue locktite on the nuts to keep them in place.

With the dowel, I drilled in from both ends to ensure they were centered on both sides. I used a round file to do a little finish work so the holes met perfectly in the center of the dowel.

I sized 1000 boolits and deprimed about 3000 45acp brass and had no issues. Everything is still nice and tight and cycles very smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Now in Beta Testing!

It's not the final design. I have left some things pretty raw and unorganized for the sake of testing/debugging. But now to process a ton-o-brass
    This looks like a very nice build. Would love to see some video of it in action. I have been doing a bunch of work on the boolit feeder originally designed by ammomike83, and now have a version that feeds 45acp brass nose down so I can bulge bust it on the APP press.

There are some other videos of it in this thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ollator/page43

I also designed a replacement piece for the slider to feed brass, that does a better job of supporting the base, so it doesn't get hung up so much on the shell holder. I can share the stl if anyone has interest.

Name:	slider1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	262588
    Last edited by TylerR; 05-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi all,
    Being stuck at home isn't really so bad. I'm catching up on a lot of things. I just finished two mods to my Lee APP using my 3D printer. One was to print an extension handle and the other to find a way to catch and direct my sized cases under my bench. I've posted both mods on Thingiverse so you can print your own if you have a 3D printer (links are below.) The extension handle really makes using the APP a lot more comfortable and seems to speed it up for me. This afternoon, I sized 1200 .45 ACP cases in about 20 minutes. I finally got my case feeder tuned and I could barely keep up with it. The second mod was to make a diverter for a square funnel from Amazon to catch the brass and direct it into a bucket or box under my bench. I use a strong magnet to locate it on the bench in the right location and then can pull it off and stick it to my safe out of the way when not in use. If you'd like to see a short video of the APP in action, I posted it on YouTube (pardon the absolutely amateurish quality.)
    Ed

Lee APP Extension Handle

Attachment 258970 Attachment 258971 Attachment 258972

Shell catcher/diverter

Attachment 258961 Attachment 258962 Attachment 258963 Attachment 258964 Attachment 258965
    anything to stop you from switching the handle arms left to right then putting a roller between them?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021