RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50 or 54 slow twist barrel?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti22 View Post
    I have a .50 Green Mountain barrel in my TC Hawken. It's very accurate with both round balls and conicals out to 100 ads. (the longest range I can shoot at). I'd love to find a 54 Green Mountain barrel.
    Track of The Wolf has the 54 drop ins in stock. You can make a drop yourself with not much effort. That way you can pick the exact barrel that you want.

It's not a money saver though. Cost of the components to DIY is a very few dollars less than buying the drop in. OTOH, there's a few of us misfits who think it's fun!

Banned

i've sent several .50 barrels to bobby hoyt for a ream to .54 and all were excellent and lots cheaper than buying a new barrel.

Boolit Master
    @ rfd.
    I second that.
    Especially if you find used barrels that are not in that great of shape.
    He will let you select the Rifling Twist you want also

So a silly question on Bobby Hoyt: I kind of want a 58 barrel for round ball. Would this be as simple as buying a 54 barrel for my Grey Hawk (would buy a new Englander barrel) and ship it off to him?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Kind of.
    You should call him first.
    Tell him what you have , and he will discuss your options like Twist and kind of make suggestions of what you are looking for in a final product.
    Like shape and projectile weight, even patch thickness or if you are shooting without a patch.
    He is a little hard to get hold of on the phone because he is so busy.
    But it is well worth waiting for him to call back..
    He will quote you a price for the work , and you will only pay the return shipping which he can't give you a hard number for at that time.
    Trust me.
    He does great work , and is very easy to talk to .
    Once you get the barrel you want rebuilt , then give him a call and discuss what you want.
    Once I get totally finished with my new shop , I will be calling him about more work that I want done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    So a silly question on Bobby Hoyt: I kind of want a 58 barrel for round ball. Would this be as simple as buying a 54 barrel for my Grey Hawk (would buy a new Englander barrel) and ship it off to him?

a very valid question. probably not if the breech is a patent one. one of the .50's i sent bobby we discussed going to .58 and it was too marginal with the threads of the investarms (lyman, dgw, cabela, etc) patent breech plug. no problem going to a .54 with a patent breech.

Boolit Buddy
    I just sent three off to Hoyt. One is a 54 that is a bit iffy because someone drilled and tapped for a scope. Generally to get to a 58 the barrel needs to be 1" wide. Probably are exceptions to that but just leave it for Hoyt to decide.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    ...Generally to get to a 58 the barrel needs to be 1" wide. ....
    really, if it's a typical offshore trad ml, it's all about the breech plug and few (if any?) will allow safely blowing a patent breech out to a .58 bore.

Boolit Buddy
    Hoyt does i regularly with TC barrels. I'm not sure why the patent breech would be a limiting factor?? Most barrel makers make a .58 with a 1" ATF blank.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    Hoyt does i regularly with TC barrels. I'm not sure why the patent breech would be a limiting factor?? Most barrel makers make a .58 with a 1" ATF blank.
    because the patent breech's open front end screws into the barrel and to go from a .50 to a .58 means compromising the breech threads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpr_breech.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	250712

Boolit Buddy
    Call Joe Williams at The Gun Works. He will build a drop in to your specs. He made mine. A 36” .54 caliber round ball barrel with a 1:79 rate of twist. It will group 2” usually less at 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    That doesn't seem to resemble a GPR patent breech. It's what a CVA/Traditions breech plug would look like but the Gpr looks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191105_155222-800x600.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	250736

Boolit Master
    the breach plug threads have to be larger then the intended bore. if not you lose them when you bore and ream the barrel.

I don't under stand this got to have a bigger bore thing. a .54 will kill just as dead as a .58. a .50 will kill just as dead as a .54. poor shooting can not be made up for with a larger bore.

Banned

THIS is a GPR barrel and patent breech plug ... see the issue with attempting to bore larger than the ante-chamber?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    THIS is a GPR barrel and patent breech plug ... see the issue with attempting to bore larger than the ante-chamber?

Trash the patent breech - use a plain plug and nipple drum and the "problem" ceases to exist

a 58 barrel needs to be minimum 1inch across the flats tho.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Trash the patent breech - use a plain plug and nipple drum and the "problem" ceases to exist ...
    i'm NOT a fan of patent breech plugs, but attempting to replace one with a classic flat breech is NOT an easy row to hoe because of location Location LOCATION - that's a lotta modifying work as the barrel will dramatically shorten, as will the lugs and pipes, and etc etc. easier to have a new "drop in" barrel built. might as well just have bought a diff'rent "correct" gun to start out.

the prime difference tween a 50, 54 and 58 is the ball - .490/175, .530/225, .570/280 - that's a Very hefty difference 'tween a 50 and a 58, and a serious consideration for Large game hunted. if yer stuck with an offshore 50 and want to hunt moose or elk or bear, getting yer patent breech gun reamed to a 54 makes some serious sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    the breach plug threads have to be larger then the intended bore. if not you lose them when you bore and ream the barrel.

I don't under stand this got to have a bigger bore thing. a .54 will kill just as dead as a .58. a .50 will kill just as dead as a .54. poor shooting can not be made up for with a larger bore.
    Got a 32" long .61 Green Mountain smooth bore drop-in barrel that's had round ball rifling cut in it on a TC Hawken flintlock.
    Removing that much metal from a one inch across the flats barrel makes it handle perfect so yeah, I reckon it's about big enough.

Boolit Master
    i'm NOT a fan of patent breech plugs, but attempting to replace one with a classic flat breech is NOT an easy row to hoe because of location Location LOCATION - that's a lotta modifying work as the barrel will dramatically shorten, as will the lugs and pipes, and etc etc. easier to have a new "drop in" barrel built. might as well just have bought a diff'rent "correct" gun to start out.

yep yr right - I wasnt payin attention there - my 54 is a single wedge 28inch barrel - only the one wedge/lug to relocate and hack an inch off the under rib - but the lock plate fitup could turn into more of a headache than it looks at first too.

the prime difference tween a 50, 54 and 58 is the ball - .490/175, .530/225, .570/280 - that's a Very hefty difference 'tween a 50 and a 58, and a serious consideration for Large game hunted. if yer stuck with an offshore 50 and want to hunt moose or elk or bear, getting yer patent breech gun reamed to a 54 makes some serious sense.

Measured the screw holes' depths in a pyrodexed New Englander barrel today.
    Rebore to .52 or .54 will work. .58 would only leave about .025 on a couple of those under rib screws.
    Don't think I need more .52's or .54's though.
    Reline to a smaller bore (maybe a .377 or a .411) or a longer .577 barrel could work.

There is more out there than round balls. Maxi Balls and great plains bullets provide a LOT more penetration and energy in 50 and 54 cal if it is needed.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast