Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Try Cast .44 in a .50 Cal. Muzzleloader Sabot Sleeve?

Boolit Master

Ever Try Cast .44 in a .50 Cal. Muzzleloader Sabot Sleeve?

I tried my luck at in-line muzzleloader hunting this year. I Used Power Belts and was very disappointed. Solid hit on a doe, very little blood, and tracked her for 2 hours before losing the trail. It got me thinking. Traditions sells Hornady XTP .44 mag bullets in sabot cups. Has anyone ever tried loading their own pills in these cups for whitetail?

Boolit Master
    why would one want to use sub caliber bullets anyway, I always thought the only good thing about muzzleloaders is the bore size

Boolit Mold
    lee 310 in a sabot deadly in my cva 50 cal.

Someone used to make .50 cal sabots in both .44 and .45 to use whatever bullet or boolit you wanted in your 50 cal smokepole (MMM or MTM maybe). Boolits worked great.

What it the twist on your barrel? Might be worth seeing if it will shoot round ball or a heavy lead conical like a maxi ball.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

I've been doing it for years. Traditions Buck Skinner carbine. 1/20" twist. I buy my sabots in bulk 50 piece bags. It does best with boolits in the 265 to 300gr. range. 70 to 90 grs FF. It shoots sub 3" @ 100 yds consistently.
    https://mmpsabots.com

I shoot 44 cal Lyman devastators in Harvester crush rib sabots out of an H&R 50 cal Huntsman. This boolit in the boiler room does a fine job. I didn't cast the devastators I bought them lubed and gas checked. They load fine so i didn't remove the checks or lube.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

In my TC impact I was shooting a 44 caliber 330 grain SSK bullet cast of stick on wheel weight plus a bit of tin. Probably about 40:1 alloy. Many 44 caliber sabots only fit short bullets. I found the Thompson Center 44 caliber sabot to be perfect for my SSK bullet, and it shot best with 90 grains BH209.

I learned my lesson, stay away from pointed bullets like many of the powerbelts, Hornady FPB, and most of the bullets sold for sabots. Stick with a hollow point, or a cast bullet (hollow point or solid). Any minute advantage the polymer tip gives you is not worth the poor effectiveness on deer. "But it's already 50 caliber" they say. I saw what a 50 caliber Hornady FPB did, and you couldn't stick a pen through the hole it left in the deer.

Boolit Buddy
    I did well with 180 cast .429 and 200 grain cast .429 out of a TC .50 with 1:48 twist. I bought the Hornady green sabots and it was a good fit.

Very fast and accurate over 90 grains of goex 2f. It broke 2000 fps with the 180.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used 200 gr 45 cal swc in my 50cal with 80 gr of fffg and get great results, full penetration and 45 cal holes thru both frt shoulders.

Banned

The one experience with a Hornady XTP in a sabot muzzle loader ruined an entire shoulder of a small doe and she ran farther than any other deer I ever shot. It wa actually one my son shot when he was a kid. I'll never use a jacketed hollow point again.

I've used various cast .44 SWCs in my inline in sabots to kill deer with and they work a lot better.

Boolit Buddy

I've taken 17 deer using only 240 xtp hp's. Latest was last Tuesday. 90 grns. Loose powder. None have run past 30 yards. Rifle is a TC Omega. I tried using .430 cast in a sabot. Bore is too tight for seating.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    IMHO, It makes no sense to by Hornady combos for the sabot. Harvester sabots are the very best I have ever used. The best place I have found to get them is, graf and sons.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/5481

The above link is for the short black sabot I use them for/with 3 different smooth sided cast projectiles that I cast. I believe 12 cards of 50 still come in a case of them, that is how I buy them.

What powder and charge weight are you shooting?

I believe if you want the best store bought combo you can get, go with the Harvester 50c 330 gr hard cast packs. Verel Smith of LBT made the molds for the Harvester projectiles and I also have one of Verels great molds that drops 330 gr LFN Smooth sided projectiles the same as the Harvester. they perform awesome at 1500 fps velocity or a charge weight equivalent to 80 gr of Black powder.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I tried the 45 cal Lee 200 gr FN in my 50 cal made round holes but accuracy was not there BUT I tried it in a 56twist just to see if it would work in a fast twist I'm sure results would have been different
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    To be honest, I have used both saboted copper jacketed bullets and cast boolets in sabots, and they both kill reliably.

The polymer tipped bullets shoot great at longer ranges now capable for some muzzleloaders!

I get a different level of satisfaction in casting my own bullets used in sabots. The more involved I am in the outcome, the better the satisfaction.

Boolit Master
    Powerbelts aren't my first choice for reasons you experienced. I have killed several animals with them but never really happy with them.

I switched to Thor bullets in my 50 Cal which are devastating and extremely accurate with a heavy charge of blackhorn 209. If I could get decent accuracy with sabots or casts conicals that's all I would use. For whatever reason my CVA patterns sabots with everything I try which is odd because Thor bullets will shoot 1.5" at 200 pretty regularly, powerbelts shoot 1.5" at 100 with a 120gr charge of RS.

MMP is the place to get bulk Sabots and they are cheap enough to get a variety. I'd also look at getting a Lee REAL bullet mold and some over powder wads the WFN nature of that bullet would be pretty effective at blowing a hole through the ribs of a deer.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Yes sir I'd used the 240 hp 44 in a 50 cal many times,in both the TC inline and a TC plains muzzleloader.I'll let the others debate the science behind using them,I know they put meat on the table for me. I guess we all have good and bad experiences with a round of a particular gun. I won't quit because of one had days with what must have been a bad shot. Good luck
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I have gotten outstanding accuracy using Harvester sabots and the MP .452-200 Penta HP and the Lee .450 Minie bullet interchangeably.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-450-294-m.html
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Old, dead thread, but just for fun...... Last year I took out 240 gr Barnes copper solid HP's. Solid broadside shot on a big doe. I hit about 2" high, and she didn't go 5 feet. I am still tempted to try my PC'ed 240 gr cast, as they shoot very accurately, but I am concerned about the lack of deformation.

Boolit Grand Master
    have used 44's,45's and 458 dia. boolits and jacketed bullets
    I do have a Accurate real boolit mold that I use as well
    I do prefer the 54 cal over the 50 though but use both
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast