Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working at Amazon

Boolit Master
    A childhood friend made THHN half his life, learned his machine: had the burns to prove it. Money was good, union was good, one day the company moved to Korea. So my buddy got his LPN license and goes to jail every day to do meds. He is the kind of guy that can do a job like that with a smile. Money is good, union is good, he says it beats making wire in the dark. Each to his own, YMMV.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    When I got my first job .....my old mans advice.....keep your mouth shut ,eyes and ears wide open.....and make sure youre not doing any more than the next man!......I d think a medical assistants job would be OK,provided you took my old mans advice.
    And that’s why Australia is what it is. American excellence, often emulated, never duplicated.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Sounds like the kind of job that should be required for every teenager. Work there for a month, and then get out and get an education or skill that will make Amazon an ugly memory. jd
    That sounds like a good idea! One of the bigger problems we have now is some make more money sitting at home than most businesses can afford to pay. I say if you are happy with your job, you will never work a day in your life. I don't understand how someone can grind through a day while hating their job. Life is way to short to spend time upset with what you do for a living.
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Master

[thread hack = ON]
    Hey Dinny! No hogs at present...just bears(!) and turkey.
    [thread hack = OFF]
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I worked from Nov 2019 thru Feb 2020 at a Distribution Center, night shift. Crew of 30 -50 sorted 20K+ to over 50k packages a night. Pkgs. ranged from envelopes-jiffies-to boxes the size of cartons of paper towels, some heavy. Very regimented and high tech, wearing a scanner on one wrist, that read the bar code and recorded the location of the package. Routinely received truckloads of palletized packages, sorted into boxes of packages sorted by route. The next shift relocated the bins on carts to designated spots for the drivers to collect and move to their vans. During the night shift there was no medical person on site, not even HR support on a regular basis. I suspect you are considering a location with a larger staff. Safety was often mentioned-get help for heavy packages, but the pressure for finishing the sort-drivers expected to be able to load their trucks at a certain time was constant. 40 or so vans loading in an hour or hour and a half is amazing the first time you see it.
    Complaints about pressure to perform can be found online.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    These days most companies have no loyalty for the workers.
    And workers have no loyalty to the company.
    So it goes both ways.
    The days of the company "family" are almost gone.
    It probably why people just hate big companies these days.
    Everything is all about money, profit.
    Sad

Boolit Master
    What strikes me as strange about Amazon is the large number of human employees.....right from the first days of stacks of books in a big shed,the whole idea was complete automation.....computer controlled machines would do everthing,even delivery.....Never seems to have happened ...or maybe humans are cheaper than computers.

Boolit Master

Amazon assaults the first amendment. No longer happy with them at all.

Going by what's been posted so far, it sounds like Amazon would be a good place to avoid working for. Sure, $15 sounds good and for a younger person who's not spent much time in the work force, it may even seem fantastic. It never hurts to give something a try. On the other hand, I don't have an Amazon account and don't foresee the need to ever wanting one. Unfortunately, so many people seem to think they can't exist without Amazon and/or Walmart. Just my 2¢ worth.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Reflecting here for one moment. I needed some snack food that is KETO friendly. Nature's Garden is a brand name. They sell their own product on line for $16.49 a bag plus $6.99 shipping, arrival in ten (10) days, and that was iffy due to carrier backlog. I searched Walmart and a couple of other places on the Net. Pretty much the same deal, some much WORSE. The local, 45 miles away, Food Store that sells the product does so for over $15 per bag on their shelf.

Then the Amazon ad on the Net...$9.98 per bag (that's an unannounced 40% discount!), free shipping (30-day trial of Amazon Prime), and NEXT DAY delivery. So, yeah, I pulled the trigger on that and bought 10 bags, signed up for the free shipping trial with Amazon Prime membership of $12.99 monthly thereafter (cancelable at any time). My order came to $99.80 and zero for shipping (41.94% discount). I can cancel the "membership" at any time this month without cost to me.

So, yeah, purchase all you want, anything you want - that they sell - any time you want, deeply discounted, pay no more than the one and only one monthly fee for shipping, and get it the next day. If you buy a lot of stuff on line, stuff Bezos sells, why not pay less? It only makes sense. I wish only that his politics were different and he sold guns and reloading components. I am on the fence this month about the "membership" to see if there is anything else during this free trial that I may need before cancelling.

What is not to like about that? My little vendetta against Bezos' politics isn't going to stop.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Frankly...I wouldn't get out of bed for $15 an hour but then I'm retired and don't want or need a job.
    That's good information to be filed away and I'm sure we're all happy for you but most of us are not retired and we do need jobs.

One thing to remember about lousy companies: A job isn't a military enlistment so we're not constrained by a contract. I say work where you can for the pay but keep looking/applying for something better.

I have no personal knowledge about working for Amazon but it seems a lot of people must think the pay and benefits are better than many other jobs. ???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Complaints about pressure to perform can be found online.
    That's true but I never expected any employer to be my mommy/daddy.

Employees are hired to accomplish tasks, not to play. Valid company complaints about the poor work ethic of many current self entitled employees are plentiful too.

I've never known of more than a very few large industrial companies with an in house medical department and none of them were on duty around the clock. OHSA requires that a few employees of large companies have basic Red Cross First Aid training and supplies for minor injuries but today's legal liabilities almost demand that any company will depend on local ambulance/fire services to handle any serious issues.
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-16-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am kind of surprised at the number of comments about corporate greed and it is all about the bottom line. It seems to me that Amazon made an effort to pay the magical $15 per hour knowing it was a hot button topic and it gives a company good press to say they pay employees the living wage whether that is true or not.

I guess I want to work for a company that makes money because those that don't won't be around long. Companies or corporations, whatever you call them have to make a profit, that allows them to expand and increase the technology. Amazon didn't pay taxes some years due to reinvesting money back into the business. What is wrong with that?

I suppose there is a difference between a corporation "making a profit" and outright "corporate greed" but where is that line? The bottom line for me is that companies are in business to make a profit and to do that they hire people and pay them. If you don't want to work there, don't. No one is forcing anyone. T

The blanket statement about company loyalty being long gone is not a fair statement. Workers are demanding and receiving more and more all the time, especially at upper level jobs. But we all expect those at entry level places. I have a relative who owns 7 production plants across the U.S. with just under 700 employees. He pays well and has excellent benefits although health insurance is a continual battle to keep up on and afford and his company quit drug testing because they were having a difficult time finding people. He says if they stay 3 months you usually end up with a good employee, but far too many just quit showing up, I think they call it ghosting, no call, no text, no email just done working.

I always wonder how many people would have jobs at companies who didn't make a profit. The person who starts the business, not the worker, is the one who took the risk and borrowed the money, had the plan and executed it and should be rewarded for it. Lastly, everyone wants less expensive products. If bullets, reloading equipment, powder and primers were available through Amazon, I would venture 90% of the people on this site would purchase them there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12