RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- 2006

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    Was wondering what happens at the shoot?

What type of competitions?

What do you need to bring?

What are appropriate firearms to compete with?

How long and what type of accommodations? Bring your own RV?

-I'm thinkin' maybe less fishin' this year, and more shootin'..

Pat,

There are a couple of RV parks on the east end of town. I have used one a couple of times but the name eludes me at present. I never had problems getting a spot, and the rates were reasonable.

Any gun that shoots a cast boolit is good enough for this event. Shooting condom bullets just for fun might fly, but for the competitions cast is why we come. I penned the name Rools Commitee at the first event because it rhymes with Fools. Anyone attending Friday night dinner is on the rools committee and if you have a particular event in mind, that is the place to bring it up.

What happens more than anything else all weekend is gabbing. It is amazing the feeling that we have all known each other for a long time. In fact we have through the internet even though we haven't met. But I think that there is something about boolit casting that only attracts certain mindsets....attention to detail, rabid tinkeritis, and a twisted curiosity that makes us seem familiar to one another.

On the other hand it probably has more to do with the internet. Never before has it been so easy for people with niche hobbies to easily find one another and share information. Pretty strange that todays cutting edge technology is responsible for bringing together people engaged in 19th century handloading and ballistics.

See you all at the " flying pig"

ammohead

date set yet

just wondering if a date has been set yet, i leave to put in for leave to make sure that i can make it there. the end of may is busy for us, so i was just wondering.

Bruc B. & All

Just want you all to know Marlene, her & onceabull's mother, Marjorie, and I plan to be there. Later in May is better for us, but whenever is fine. So we will watch for you to etch the date in stone!
    Can't waite, Mac

Boolit Bub
    BruceB,
    I guess I live a sheltered life. First I've heard of the Nevada CB shoot. Besides having fun and being safe about it, are there any kind of "rules" as to what kind of Pb slinger(s) to bring? What kind / style of competitions are there? Standard distance hipower silhouette? NRA conventional high power? 100/200 yard group/score? Palma 800/900/1000? Just making noise? Fruit shoots? Are attendees grouped into like firearms classes? (bolt guns/leverguns/SA/etc) or iron sight/scope sight or??? Please let me know when/where for 2006. It sounds like fun.
    best regards,
    brian (brianmeyer@qwest.net)

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Hey Brian,
    NCBS is rather a informal shoot,25-50 100 yards is the norm ,,we had a range issue pop up last year that cut the longer stuff out. we have all flavors of lead propelling instruments to ponder on,shoot and even have a bit of fun with. Leverguns and boltguns are most common is the long gun categories,,and elsewhere. Revolvers and pistols abound,single shots are seen and shot. And
    yes,,iron sights and scoped guns are classed differently for the paper targeting events. We have events including stake shoot's and such for the team stuff,and it all happens in Winnemucca NV.
    May is the month,the exact weekend has not been set in stone for this year however,anytime now though.
    Fun and comeraderie is the rule,sampling different guns and such is a pattern,bragging rights don't mean much except to the winners ....
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

On Heaven's Range

After much contemplation, consulting of entrails, vissits to oracles and soothsayers, etc., etc., I now FORMALLY ANNOUNCE:

The 2006 Edition of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held here in Winnemucca NV...

....Ta-DAAAAAA....

on the weekend of May 19, 20, 21.

This should increase our chances of good weather (and warmer, so you'll see Yours Truly stewing in his own juices, on account of a personal thermostat jammed on the 'Arctic Circle' setting). It also moves us away from Mothers' Day and avoids the Memorial Day weekend as well.

Let the planning commence!

I'd suggest that all posts about this Shoot henceforth be made on THIS thread, so that nothing gets lost by oversight. Would this be a reasonable excuse for closing the other threads to further posts???
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Bruce, Maybe the NCBS secret agent, code name "Ken" can consolidate the threads. Interesting how much early interest in NCBS there has been this year. The new poster names are especially gratifying. Hope they all show up! If they attend once, they will be addicted.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Threads are indeed now merged,,,
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Call me "slow on the uptake", but I just now read the established dates for NCBS 2006. Cool deal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    Ammohead,

I'm in N. California- just above the 40th parallel. I would come out east from Susanville.

What would be the fastest way to get there. I wouldn't have to go all the way down to Reno would I?
    Pat:

I am 30 Mi east of Red Bluff on 36, starting Mid February when I retire. Where are you? I plan to go to Winnamucca in May. I have to look at a map. If I remember correctly there is a more direct route than Reno and Hwy 80.

Jeffrey

Boolit Buddy
    [
    The 2006 Edition of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held here in Winnemucca NV...
    on the weekend of May 19, 20, 21.

Bruce, NV, Et Al:

I am new to this list. I am adicted to lead and gunpowder. I have been shooting Cast Boolits for a number if years. Short of death I will be there 19 may. I am about 80 Mi West of Susanville.

You were talking shift at the mine. I worked an open pit in Globe Az. from 80 to 86. It was a copper mine but we pulled a little precious metal too.

At the match will informal groups compete, say like every body bring your Mosin Nagant we are going to shoot whatever the preferred course of fire is? Is there RV power (120v) at the range or do we have to go to the RV park?

You said long range shooting distance is determined by the Rools comittee. In general how much pai allar is this? Over or under 300 yds? And is this in groups like the shorter stuff.

More later.

Jeffrey

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    Can someone edit this map to add a star at almost the exact location of the event?

I am going to try and get a web page setup talking about the NCBS with some driving instructions and maybe some Q and A.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mapquest.jpg  
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    Also, can someone write up some articles about NCBS 2006, maybe about what's planned, where to meet, what to bring, anything and everything someone would want to know about it. Just so I can add them to the webpage to make things a bit easier for people.
    Just Private Message them to me.
    Thanks
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

In Remembrance

Willly, As you will be heading south on 95 to get to Winnemucca, look for the jet fighter and helicopter mounted on poles on the right (west) side of the road, about one mile before you get to the center of downtown. These two aircraft mark the location of the National Guard. Turn in as if you were going to the Guard, but make an immediate right onto a dirt road that parallels 95 and has you heading north. After about 1/4 mile you will see a sign pointing to the range. As for what to expect, read all of this thread. The shooting part of the NCBS has been spelled out in detail.
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 01-17-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remembrance

Jeff, there is no RV power at the range. The long range match is fired on gongs, offhand with iron sights. Usually the first relay is five shots. Inevitably there are ties which require shoot-offs. Because of range restrictions in recent years "long range" has been 100 yd. with the gong size greatly reduced to compensate. Rather than "everybody bring your M-N," it's more like everybody bring your whatever. All rifles compete equally, as long as sights are equal, iron vs. iron. scope vs. scope. It is unbelieveably informal. Some one will say so others can hear, "I'm going to shoot my iron sight rifle group, now." That insures that all targets entered are witnessed, and usually somebody will volunteer to spot. After an individual has shot his target, the witness will sign it. If it's better than the current leader, it becomes the new leader, and the previous leader is erased from the board.
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 01-17-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Super Moderator

A day late and a dollar short ..................Part1

..............Well DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! I am sorry to say I won't be able to attend this year. I had just told Deputy AL that I would be able to go. I didn't know the date had been changed until just now reading this thread. I was able to get the traditional dates in May for myself, as the vacation times were being posted by all us here in the office. I have the first weekend in May off, sheesh!

Major issue is that personel wise here at work there is NO slack. If someone calls in sick, that means someone stays an extra 6 hours and someone else has to start 6 hours early to cover. The terminal manager is the 'fill' guy during vacations. So when us 2 weekend guys have vacation, poor Bill works his week, my weekend, his next week and then the other guys schedule.

It would be too tedious and complicated trying to explain why I just can't ask the other guy about swapping, as there is a weekday guy also involved during the new shoot dates. Crap! That shoots rat blasting in Cedarville in the head too.

To any of you new guys, or people that have never been, you really REALLY NEED to go. It's not that you should go, it's you NEED to go. It really is one big family deal, and I mean that literally.

It was Ammohead back in 1999 who brought up the whole idea to begin with. There were several active posters on the Shooters.Com BB, cast bullets board who lived within a reasonable distance of each other to make a get together not unthinkable. As the months past the concept firmed up to the point that a place (Topaz Lake, NV) and time was agreed upon.

Now this comprised several fully grown adult males who had been communicating via the net and the board for a couple years. One thing we forgot was each other's real names or pictures of what we looked like 8). So we showed up. I remember being somewhat uncomfortable standing there at the desk of the motel, wife at my side, and trying to figure out some halfway intelligent way to ask the nice lady there if any other guys had shown up, who liked to shoot cast lead from guns.

Donna turned and said, "You don't even know anyone's name?" Ah, no was the somewhat sheepish reply. However as it turned out we all somehow seemed to clan up and gravitate together. I remember that night as the entire 1st annual Cast Lead Bullet fellowship sat around 2 tables pushed together in the upstairs bar. That first Rooles Kommittee meeting consisted of drinking and screaming at each other back and forth over the table, as the band was like ten feet away and you couldnt hear crap.

Donna had won $100 on the slots so for dinner we had prime rib and all the BS with a couple others.

The next morning we were going to caravan to the shooting spot. Problem was there were 2 seperate parking lots we were split between. Each group thought they were supposed to wait for the other group. It's just luck that we're not still sitting there waiting. We eventually did get it all ironed out and we moved on out.

You can go to www.castpics.net and then 'Events' and click on Topaz 2000 to see the original cast and crew and a few other photos of the event. For a rough and ready hasty put together, it was a real blast. We had targets out to 600 yards. I would also like to say we were shooting in a hurricane, which the locals call a mere zephyer of a breeze. When you shoot a golfball cannon and the golf ball only goes 30 yards, and then makes a sharp 90 degree left turn and heads for Idaho it's a bit more then a breeze.

My one major triumph was to hit the steel plate at 600 yards with a 1871 Mauser shooting a 475gr boolit. I think I held about 8' into the 'breeze' to do it. As has become the rule, so far as shooting went it everyone saying, "Here, try this, or here, shoot this and see what you think".

In the years since it has remained the same. When the group stake shoots were first put on, a couple shooters were short ammo for guns they'd brought (shooting is fast and furious) there was no problem in finding a rifle or pistol loaner to compete with. A word here is that in anticipation of these 2 group events (one rifle and one pistol) that you make sure you have sufficient ammo for one of each event!

Originally the stake shoots were just that. Each team at the 'GO" signal tried to shoot a board in half. Winning team was that with the shortest time. At the first such rifle event the rifle boolits were zipping right through without making much of an impression. As it turned out it was called at 6 minutes and bullet holes were counted. I remember Curmudgeon's Springfield barrel was smoking. After that the boards were particle board and since changed to ballons. Yet peestols with their fat lumbering slugs still do a number on the wood.

One year it was clay birds on nails stuck into celotex ceiling panels. It was tough hitting those birds. However BruceB's wife Karen came up with a novel answer. She merely hit rocks in front with the 404 Jeffery and the resultant shrapnel literally ground sluiced the birds off! Speaking of Karen, a previous year during the team rifle shoot she'd run out of ammo for the 30-06 (I think she was shooting). She grabbed up the 416 Rigby and unleashed a shot that flatly rocked her back on her heels! She hurridly laid that one down and hunted up something else.

I think the first year Powderburner came he was all loaded up with blackpowder. During the pistol team shoot not only did he do a good job of obscuring the team's target, he also did a bangup job of pretty well gassing them into submission. Lesson here is to shoot upwind of those afflicted with BP BruceB's capable daugher Kim was banging away in a team pistol event when she discovered daddy had ill supplied her with ammo. There was a heated father/daughter conversation of where additional ammo might be located.

While such things are fun, they are NOT taken lightly, believe you me!

A suggestion here. For the team pistol event: Use a pistol with a swingout cylinder. Shoot wadcutters. If it's a stake, aim for the black stripe! Once well perforated aim for the top of the board to snap it off!

For the team rifle event: Use a rifle that either feeds very well or that you can just drop a round into, lockup and shoot. Trust me here, a Trapdoor Springfield is just about tits! Assign areas of the target to each member.

I don't know how the Rooles Komittee will treat those firearms with box or detacheable magazines this year.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Super Moderator

Part II .......................

...........................Speaking of the Rooles Kommittee. Watch them VERY closely. A more heathenish bunch of near do wells you're more likely to never meet again in one place. They can be twisty slithery devils and hard to pin down. Working with them is like herding ferrets.

Ammohead may offer you money for points on the long range off hand shoot. Don't do it. He's so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up.

They're all great, every single one. Idabull, Mac, TimB, Urny, their wives and all the rest, or whoever else new comes, you'll have a blast. Seems like last time the shooting got off to a little slower start then usual. In fact it was remarked upon and the answer was that we were all more interested in talking and catching up then shooting at first. The family reunion deal I guess?

I'll sure miss it! Maybe something will happen and I can come. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

......................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Rick, I hate the idea of your not being at NCBS VII almost as much as I do most CA politicians. Ammohead really started something, including a whole bunch of friendships. Have no fear, the party of "the long range match will be fired offhand with iron sights as God intended," will be a powerful voting bloc on the Rools Committy. Thanks for bringing up some of the great memories of NCBS past.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Buckshot: the "pits" for news re:your missing NCBS '06 and the Modoc rat shoot..I've been putting by all manner of arcane bit/pieces with the hope of laying something off on ya in trade for some of the fine machine work you've been putting up !! looking at the price Meacham needs for their push-through sizers, I'd speculate you could easily find a part-time retirement niche !! still hoping to see you there.....Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Vendor Sponsor
    Ammohead may offer you money for points on the long range off hand shoot. Don't do it. He's so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up.
    ......................Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Sad news indeed. I knew this chase of fair weather would be costly.

But really...."so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up". I left before the last round year before last and still tied with y'all. But not having the competition is sure to throw my game off. Likely I'll have to pay someone to cough and blow cigarette smoke at me while I shoot to get me in the groove. Could someone bring a loud hawiian shirt!

Aw, this ain't right!

No chance of an early "digger" shoot as D Al and I talked about a while back, say a April fools soiree?

Bad news indeed.

ammohead

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast