Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- 2006

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    Ammohead,

I'm in N. California- just above the 40th parallel. I would come out east from Susanville.

What would be the fastest way to get there. I wouldn't have to go all the way down to Reno would I?
    Another option depending on how far north you are is north to Lakeview OR and east on 140 to Denio and south on 95 to Winnemucca.

ammohead

Boolit Grand Master
    That's the route Buckshot and I have taken from Cedarville. It's positively gorgeous country. Despite its dry-looking aspect, we can testify under oath that it can and does rain there, and a fine and comprehensive job of it too.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I think I'll look at that route, but I do have a childhood freind in Reno, and I haven't even seen his kids yet.

Al- you going to Cedarville this year?

Banned

Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- How does this work?

Was wondering what happens at the shoot?

What type of competitions?

What do you need to bring?

What are appropriate firearms to compete with?

How long and what type of accommodations? Bring your own RV?

-I'm thinkin' maybe less fishin' this year, and more shootin'..

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

PatMarlin

I'd go with Lakeview to Winnemucca via Fields & Denio,if only because everyone needs to do it once..Plus you go right past the junc.to French Glen and Burns, Pack the fly rod,and do a side trip to fish the Blitzen R. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Pat, In answer to your questions, and one not asked. Rule No. 1 no whining! Rule No. 2, the rangemaster is in command.

Competition is low key, involving group and offhand score events. Generally a shooter will notfy somebody nearby something like, "I'm going to shoot my
    50 yd. bench group, now." He will then shoot his target and turn it in for measurement or scoring. The current leader in each event will have his score or group on the leader board, and the previous leader will be erased. Shooting and shooting with the same rifle in the same event until a target is "good enough" is not too cool, but there is nothing wrong with reentry with a different gun. Even a gun borrowed from another shooter is OK, just ask how often my .35 Whelen has won in other hands, or how often my stepson Jaremy has committed lese majeste by tying me! Typical events are:

Iron sight rifle group, five shots bench at 50 yd.
    Iron sight rifle score, five shots offhand at 50 yd.
    Scope sight rifle group, five shots bench at 100 yd.
    Scope sight rifle score, five shots offhand at 100 yd.
    Iron sight pistol group, five shots bench at 25 or 50 yd. depending on ROOLS COMMITTY mood
    Iron sight pistol score, usually bowling pins at 50 yd. or so
    Scoped sight pistol group five shots bench at 50 yd.
    Long range IRON SIGHT rifle offhand, five shots on a gong at whatever distance the range affords and the ROOLS COMMITTY determines. Shootoffs in this event are common.
    Pistol team match. Clays, balloons, stakes, etc. at 50 yd. or so as the ROOLS COMMITTY determines.
    Rifle team match. Just like the pistol team match.

Group events may be fired on any target you want to bring. Score targets must be fired on the (provided) 50 yd. NRA pistol target CENTERS in the interest of uniformity. The prestigious Golden Wheelweight trophy will be awarded to winners of individualo events. Again, competition is low key, but that is not to say that it isn't close, it is just that nobody thinks it the end of the world.

Generally some of us meet for Friday lunch, then go out ot the range and set up for Saturday and Sunday. After a nap, the ROOLS COMMITTY meets for dinner at a local eatery and watering hole. All who show up comprise the ROOLS COMMITTY.

Saturday, we go out to the range and shoot, BS, swap stories and sometimes toys, try out each other's guns, and most important, socialize. Saturday dinner can either be an out-to, or the recently traditional barbecue (bring your own meat and booze.).

Sunday is very much like Saturday. At the close of shooting, all hands clean up for dinner at Ormachea's, a fine Basque restaurant, for a huge dinner and trophy presentation.

IMO, the order of importance is socializing, admiring each other's guns and ammo, food and drink, (after the guns are put away) and competition.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remembrance

Pat, Bring any cast boolit shooter you want to shoot in competition and/or show off. I will be bringing the following:

Springfield NRA Sporter, Ruger 77 rebarreled in .35 Whelen, Marlin 1894 Cowboy .44 Magnum, (rifle team event) 1898 Krag sporterized Carbine, No. 4
    Enfield rifle, maybe 1948 Yugo Mauser, Colt Gold Cup, S&W 629 .44 Magnum 8 3/8", and maybe one or two more pistols.

For accomodations Winnemucca is full of motels, and there is an RV park. Ammohead can tell you more about that.

One more optional event is the Duke's room party. After the Ormachea's Sunday night dinner all are invited to Duke's (or mine in the absence of Duke) motel room, for a final socializing.

I think that pretty well covers it, but post any other questions you may have.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Banned

I imagine you have to pick you're best firearm per shoot? Or, do you get a go with each one you bring?

Ifn' I'm making sence..

Good news is, my wife and I will be there. Has a date been set?

In Remembrance

Pat, Watch this space for dates, it all depends on when BruceB can get off. Bring as many guns as you wish and try them all. Bring plenty of ammo, too, because there may be several test drivers wanting to try them. I've bought several rifles after trying an example at the NCBS!

just wondering what hotel you all normally stay in, i will have to hotel it from thursday night to monday morning. its atleast a ten hours drives from what i hear

Boolit Grand Master
    Winnemucca has lots of good motels--never had a problem getting a room, although I've reserved them a couple weeks ahead each time I've stayed there. It's an 11-hour drive for me--when I've gone direct to the meeting, I leave the PRC/Yucaipa Kommisariat at ~0600 hours, and get there in time to check into the room, drop stuff off, and make it to the Rules Committee Meeting right on time.

I've used the Santa Fe Inn for a lot of years, both for NCBS and as a stop point between my home and my sister's place in Bozeman. The Best Western is another favorite.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

just wondering about the hotel becuase i would like to have one some what close to most of you so when we are getting plowed i dont have to drive, in the airforce we are told to plan ahead lol

In Remembrance

jballs, Winnemucca, located at the junction of a very major Interstate and an important US highway, has many motels. Most of them are within easy crawling distance of the swinging doors.

ok i got you. just wondering never been there before is all

Boolit Master
    You guys don't know how bad I would like to go. I live on the wrong coast!

David

David R
    buy a ticket to Battle Mountain Nv. and I'll pick you up and take you down to Winnamucca . It should only be a 4 or 5 hr flight .... Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Talking David r

buy one to vegas, that is where im coming from

Boolit Mold
    David,
    I just checked and you can get a roundtrip flight from Buffalo to Las Vegas in May for $311.
    Ken

On Heaven's Range

David;

In the event you do decide to fly out, do NOT worry about the hassles and inconvenience of hauling along a bunch of (gasp) nasty ol' guns with you, or consigning your beloved treasures to the maw of the baggage-crunching machines and/or TSA.

There will be MORE than enough guns and ammunition available for you to shoot! In fact, there'll be enough stuff to shoot to keep you going for a WEEK, never mind a week-end.

The most important ingredient in this event is the people, and the more the merrier. I'm certain that everyone who's attended the NCBS in the past will agree with that. Please, if at all possible, try to get here.

The neatest thing about such a happening is that we are NOT strangers, even if we've never met in person. You can walk into the room full of unfamiliar faces and pick up a conversation with any number of folks, just where we left-off the discussion in our latest posts here on the 'net. It's a VERY neat situation, and amazingly comfortable. We all share the same Board experiences...."Say, remember when we were talking about XXXX last month? Well, this is what I did....." - and the conversation is underway, and believe me it won't stop for the entire time!.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    I doubt I could go, but you guys sure make me feel welcome. At my club, of the regulars I am the only cast boolit shooter. There are a few more but they don't compete. One is a member of this board and stopped by my work today. I hope to take him with me to the peestol match tomorrow if I can escape from work for an hour or so.

David

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast