Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Savage bolt head swap questions

Boolit Master

Savage bolt head swap questions

Looking for advice. I have a Savage 110 varmint heavy barrel in 22/250. Not one to leave well enough alone, I am thinking of changing the barrel and having it chambered for a 20 Practical cartridge. 20 cal in 223 case. So, other than the barrel, I would need a new magazine which I am hoping would be an easy swap?? Then I would need to change the bolt head, which I was told is not difficult? I don't know if thats true. Also, after a brief search I am confused where I would find the parts to do that. Any advice would be appreciated. It seems popular for guys to swap barrels in the Savage, so I guess I'm searching the wrong sites. Thanks for the help.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/cont...your-bolt-face

lots of savage stuff ... talk to them and they will fix you up...

Do a "google" search for "Savage bolt disassembly", you'll find a number of videos and text descriptions of how to do it. It's pretty straight forward.

Here's one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foswqsIFBfY

Good luck, it's not difficult if you watch a video or two.

Boolit Master
    Do a little research , & enjoy your 110 . A few thoughts that might be helpful
    The model 110 is the longer action , over the model 10 - the same goes for all models 111 / 11 , or 112 - 12 on and on .
    The large shank / small shank barrel thread is all over the place , but get the idea of the length of the lock nut will help with that .
    Dive in , with a little research you can fully enjoy a switch barrel rifle .

Boolit Master
    I own a Savage 110 heavy varmint in 223. You can get new 110 bolt heads from lots of places: PTG, Grizzily, Brownells, Gun Shack, Midway, etc. Just do a Google search for Savage "110 bolt head". You'll also need the ejector, extractor, and the springs and pins for the new bolt head. When installing the spring and tiny steel ball that goes under the extractor plate, do this inside a large plastic bag. If you don't, and the ball and spring come flying out, you will never find them. On my rifle the magazine for 223 based cartridges is the #55155 (which can be hard to find). Check some photos online to make sure this is what your rifle uses because Savage makes some types of magazines with the catch on the magazine, and some with the magazine release on the bottom metal, and the two are not interchangeable. Another thing that you're going to need is a GO gauge for setting the headspace. I put a .002" shim on the back of a GO gauge, then run the barrel in until this seats on the bolt face, then set the lock nut. Watch some youtube videos about swapping a Savage 110 barrel before you do anything else.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'll start exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
    Looking for advice. I have a Savage 110 varmint heavy barrel in 22/250. Not one to leave well enough alone, I am thinking of changing the barrel and having it chambered for a 20 Practical cartridge. 20 cal in 223 case. So, other than the barrel, I would need a new magazine which I am hoping would be an easy swap?
    You might need new bottom metal to accommodate the new magazine size.