Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tried one of these .410 loaders?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    How about using something like contact cement for your top cardboard wad?? Or hot glue with the little bitty glue guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that loader and another one from Russia. The Russian one is about half the cost.
    I watched them both being used on You Tube. The Russian one seems to be a bit easier to use.
    Leo

OK I actually know something about this subject so I'll give you my .02. I had a Paco Kelly .410 tool and it was nicely made however the crimps were disgusting. It did everything else great but you have to finish the shell with a crimp and that tool was lacking. a better way to go would be to trim the fold crimp off eh hull and usea BPI Roll Crimping tool with an over shot card and roll crimp the hull closed. This would produce an excellent result and that BPI tool can be ran with a drill motor or a drill press so it is portable.

The kicker on reconstructing a Fold crimp is that you must have a die that controls the hulls shape perfectly. Also there must be a Precrimp tool (included with the tool in question.) which starts the crimp. in the end the crimp finisher must be pressed down to a certain depth. Using a Drill Press with a quill stop could accomplish this task repeatably,,, which is what you are looking for. It is pointless to get one good crimp out of 5.

All that said when I got a real .410 Shotgun I bought a Pacific DL266 Single Stage Loader off Trapshooters.com. It loads perfect ammo and was well worth the $250 I paid for it used.(It was almost new so I did get a good deal. I also bought 1000 O/F hulls for $150. and they have been reloaded twice now and are good to go for several more reloads.

If all you want to do with your .410 (and I have a Springfield M6 Scout also) is pop off a few rounds every now and again then that tool you mentioned above would probably work well enough for what you want to do. A box of .410 shotshells runs around $12.50 and if you aren't going to fire more than a few of these in a year then just buying them is probably a more economical way to go.

A typical day at a Skeet Range is 4 to 8 boxes and it is easy to see that if you do it once or twice a month you need to reload, so a real loader would be in order.

Here's a pic of a perfect crimp, the machine that made it,, and a Paco Kelly Loader.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK I actually know something about this subject so I'll give you my .02. I had a Paco Kelly .410 tool and it was nicely made however the crimps were disgusting. It did everything else great but you have to finish the shell with a crimp and that tool was lacking. a better way to go would be to trim the fold crimp off eh hull and usea BPI Roll Crimping tool with an over shot card and roll crimp the hull closed. This would produce an excellent result and that BPI tool can be ran with a drill motor or a drill press so it is portable.

The kicker on reconstructing a Fold crimp is that you must have a die that controls the hulls shape perfectly. Also there must be a Precrimp tool (included with the tool in question.) which starts the crimp. in the end the crimp finisher must be pressed down to a certain depth. Using a Drill Press with a quill stop could accomplish this task repeatably,,, which is what you are looking for. It is pointless to get one good crimp out of 5.

All that said when I got a real .410 Shotgun I bought a Pacific DL266 Single Stage Loader off Trapshooters.com. It loads perfect ammo and was well worth the $250 I paid for it used.(It was almost new so I did get a good deal. I also bought 1000 O/F hulls for $150. and they have been reloaded twice now and are good to go for several more reloads.

If all you want to do with your .410 (and I have a Springfield M6 Scout also) is pop off a few rounds every now and again then that tool you mentioned above would probably work well enough for what you want to do. A box of .410 shotshells runs around $12.50 and if you aren't going to fire more than a few of these in a year then just buying them is probably a more economical way to go.

A typical day at a Skeet Range is 4 to 8 boxes and it is easy to see that if you do it once or twice a month you need to reload, so a real loader would be in order.

Here's a pic of a perfect crimp, the machine that made it,, and a Paco Kelly Loader.

Randy
    Excellent post. Very informative and we'll explained.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    Looking for a small loader for .410 shells and I don't want a full size press, original Lee Loaders seem to be pretty expensive. Has anyone tried one of these types of loaders?

https://www.thexringusa.com/product-...der-for-410-ga
    I have one and it works just fine,,,, it's slow and the crimp can be tricky but it works just fine. I hope this answers your question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12