Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powder scale

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Perhaps mdi you are a static electric "capacitor" that uses and unintentionally abuses electronic scales. Maybe your plastic wheeled (or synthetic padded) reloading chair is on top of a plastic mat and the movement between the two (or your backside) is the generator. Or your leather soled shoes on synthetic carpet. Do you get shocked in cold low and humidity weather when you reach out for the door handle? Try a PC wrist ground to relieve the electric potential between you and the bench before you touch the electronics.
    Wow! That's the first time I've been called "static" . Reviewed all the suggestions and nope, none apply to my reloading, no plastic mats, no carpet, no leather soled shoes, and don't think my butt is a generator (maybe an escape valve for methane, but no static). I can't remember the static shocks on a door knob, etc., and when I first started working on electronics/various solid state control moduals I used an anti static wrist band, and never heard/read the need for that precaution when using a digital for reloading. I just open the case top when necessary, use the scale as per instructions, and don't dig into the innards. I just removed the scales(s) from the tool box, sat them on my wooden bench top and turned them on. My first digital was about 15 years ago the second was just 8 years ago and so far my little Frankfort Arsenal of five years is still working, although at times poorly.

On my last post I started out with "FWIW", For What It's Worth. Basically meaning the post was my experience and my opinion and should be taken for what it's worth; just my experience and not a review or recommendation on any reloading tool/equipment. Not endorsing nor condemning, just my experience with digital scales...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    I use a dipper that holds more powder than i need then hold the filled dipper over the powder pan , then tap the dipper with the end of a pencil to dribble in the required amount of powder. .
    A similar method I use is I keep a couple of odd ball spent cases I don't reload for on the bench for weighing out individual rifle charges.

I'll drop powder from the rotary measure set to be a little light in one, and pour it onto the scale.

Then a second one, usually a .338Weatherby Mag, or a Nickel plated .270Win. I picked up somewhere--
    It's about half full, I use it like a trickeler and tap it over the pan.
    It works like thumping the ash off a cigarette to bring up the last fraction of a grain.

It's not real fast, but I can move right on along with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    mdi, I had an electronic scale, with a fluorescent light above the bench. The light caused massive swings in weight ( 2+ gr on a 24 gr charge).
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    I got my first scale, a Webster, in1960 from a gunstore.
    It was new in the box but had 14.00 printed on the box with the factory printing.
    They had others on display but they were all more .
    I took it home and it drove me wild cause it took forever to stop swinging.
    It had an oil reservoir with a paddle in it.
    I tried different weights of motor oil even.They just collected dirt and it still swung too much.
    I learned to let the pointer bounce on my finger till it slowed, and that worked well for years.
    Scale only went to 325 grains .
    oh yes.Always hold your breath when reading scale.
    An used RCBS came along in 1970. Is a 505.
    Stops like power brakes. Loved it.Many times I weighed charges once on each scale. Always agreed.
    I got an electronic ten years ago as a premium when I bought a pile of stuff from Midway.Spent a few thousand there over time.
    I put the batteries in and weighed bullets, nuts and bolts,small ones.
    At first it worked, but then gave false weights.Always comparing to my 505 and the Webster.
    I gave it to my youngest bro the computer expert.
    He loved it but still used the RCBS.
    I asked. He said it was too sensitive.
    Well, I am too.So that's the end of that.
    I always like opening my books on Elmer Keith's writings and seeing my Webster in a few pictures on his reloading bench.
    In earlier books he pictured another scale that looked like a piece of wire for the bar and a lead fishing weight hanging on it.
    I swear.I know some of you have seen it also pictured in those old books.
    Anyway, the newer digital are probably plenty good, and I still haven't reached the bottom of that keg of Bullseye 18 pounder I think it weighed that I got at Grafs in St. Louis in 1965 I think.
    I did scrape the bottom last time but there is still quite a bit left.
    A little Bullseye goes a long way.
    I still have the dipper I made that dips one grain of Bullseye every time .
    I may get out that digital scale again and put batteries in it.
    I'm going to load some .25 auto and some .32 S&W.
    That's what I made the dipper for.
    I like to check back and have fun.
    I'll let you know how the digital does.
    Always a pleasure to check in here and read the postings.
    later gater.

Has the OP responded on any thing yet. Someone offered a free Lee safety scale for the asking. Just wondered if it the offer wa taken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a Lee Perfect Powder measure. If I recall correctly, it's NIB. If I recall incorrectly, it's still in very good shape.
    You, sir, are a kindly gentleman and scholar.

I have three magnetic damped beam scales. One is Lee's PPM, one is a Lyman/Ohaus M5, the other is a Herter's/Webster; they all work fine.

My little Lee Safety Scale is the most sensitive and precisely accurate powder scale I've ever tried but with my fumbly fingers and its very light weight, I find it somewhat difficult to use. However, my clumsiness is no fault of the scale and I CAN be more careful with it!

I used to maintain precision electronic measurement equipment at Cape Canaveral. I have a small digital scale that I occasionally use for weighing bullets and cases but NEVER for gunpowder; my powder is always weighted on a beam scale, the way God intended.

Many people love their costly - but very cheeply made - Chinese digital reloading scales ... until they crap out.

I also have three mechanical powder measures. One is a Lee Perfect Powder Measure; it isn't perfect but it may be the most consistent measure I've ever tried, especially with coarse tubular powders.

I trickle quality (low quantity) rifle ammo but I never trickle handgun ammo, that would be gilding a meaningless lily!

Boolit Master
    i use lyman and lee measures and scales .lee are good and not expensive.anything that needs batteries/electrics is not to be trusted.

I have been using the Lee Safety Scale for years, wonderful. It is an economical and accurate scale.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Has the OP responded on any thing yet. Someone offered a free Lee safety scale for the asking. Just wondered if it the offer wa taken
    Since this is a recently resurrected Sept/Oct 2019 thread the OP has surely moved past this need and quite likely the "free offer" has expired.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lostchild0 View Post
    I've been looking for the best bang for the buck scale ...
    Without question, that would be Lee's little Safety Scale; it's inexpensive, very accurate and very sensitive. It's downside is the very light weight that allows fumble fingered users to bump it around. If he wants something else later he'll have enough personal experience to make his own choice.

... and powder measure.
    Lee's Perfect Powder Measure.

Again, the price is right and, used properly, it's as good as any far more costly measure. A LOT of new users (and quite few old hands) are well served with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123