RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder scale

Boolit Bub

Powder scale

My son is trying to get started reloading and later on into casting he's on a very tight budget. I've been looking for the best bang for the buck scale and powder measure. Can anyone give some advice in this area? Thanks in advance lost...

Banned

Can't go wrong with a Lyman 55 powder measure and Lyman scale!

Boolit Grand Master
    If money is tight, you do not need a powder measure. It is simple to make powder scoops with spent cartridge cases. For plinking a scoop is all you need...just keep loads below maximum. If you want maximum loads, have the scoop throw a bit under maximum and then trickle up.

DO NOT skimp on a cheap scale. I would suggest a beam scale to start. Digital scales can drift...not a problem if you know what to do, but adds a level of complication he does not need as a beginner. I have a digital scale and use it a lot, but I will never sell by beam scale. Mine is a Lyman but any of the name brands are going to be good scales.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Lyman scale and Lee ppm ,I can't warm to the Lee scale even though it works OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If money is tight, you do not need a powder measure. It is simple to make powder scoops with spent cartridge cases. For plinking a scoop is all you need...just keep loads below maximum. If you want maximum loads, have the scoop throw a bit under maximum and then trickle up.

DO NOT skimp on a cheap scale. I would suggest a beam scale to start. Digital scales can drift...not a problem if you know what to do, but adds a level of complication he does not need as a beginner. I have a digital scale and use it a lot, but I will never sell by beam scale. Mine is a Lyman but any of the name brands are going to be good scales.
    I'm of the opinion that a $10 pocket scale will beat the pants out of a scoop. I have used cheap scales for medicines for years, I have not experienced any drifting. If you want to talk about drifting throw 10 loads from a scoop and look at how all over the place that end up, repeat with the cheapest scale you can find on Amazon. Your accuracy will be leap and bounds better.

Boolit Grand Master

I started with a Lee Safety Scale and a dipper in '69. Now before anybody claims "JUNK", let me tell you my experiences with it. First, I know how to read a vernier scale as I learned how to use a slide rule (a primitive calculator ) in high school, so reading/setting the Lee was no big deal. Another thing about the scale is a lockable poise. Set it, lock it, and it won't jump out of a notch. I have a Lyman scale that if the pan is remover too quickly or bumped, the 1/10th poise can jump changing the setting. BTDT and had to dump and reweigh 40 charges because the poise jumped .3 gr heavier. Unless the Lee scale is actually broken, it will weigh accurately. I have dropped one from a shelf approx 4' above my bench, it bounced and when checked, no change inaccuracy. I have weighed a piece of paper towel about half the size of a postage stamp, something my other scales didn't. Yes the settling can be slow but I placed a magnet under the pan and it is as quick as my RCBS and Lyman scales.

No I am not a Lee salesman, but often a new reloader will get skewed reviews from other reloaders and be "forced" to purchase something perhaps out of his budget just on someone's personal likes (just look around any you will see many brand new reloaders ask "what kind of tumbler do I need to start?".They believe shiny, virgin looking brass is a necessity. Nice for looks, but not absolutely necessary.).

Didn't mean to reply with a rant, just sharing my good experiences with a much (mis)maligned tool, so a new guy can get all the opinions...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I would go with a cheap digital scale. Make sure it will read in grains and not grams, unless you like doing math and are careful enough to always do the math.

$27 from Midway and I'm certain you could do better on Amazon

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018278138?pid=207090

A set of Lee dippers will get ya by.
    But I would encourage holding off, and getting what you really want.
    You're making a potentially life time investment, and if you 'upgrade' later- you won't have a trade in allowance.

I'm a beam scale guy.
    I got a new age digital one with a press a few weeks ago.
    it worked fine for a couple hours.
    Then it didn't.

I was setting up for 5-odd gr charge of Bullseye for .45ACP.
    When the case overflowed, it read 2.7.
    I had it on the wrong units!
    When I figured that out, and switched it over-
    Instead of being 1/3-1/2 full like I expected----a 5.0gr weight of powder barely covered the bottom of the case.

I checked the units it was measuring, the calibration, any damage, etc. it was all good.

I weighed out a 150 gr bullet on the Lyman beam-- it came to 150.1.
    On the digital--- 186.
    A 185gr HP weighed 226 on the digital.

Best I can figure is it has brain damage, and my love affair with digital scales just came to an end.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-14-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The lee perfect powder measure does well for me. I use an RCBS 505 that I got used. I think that's a good way to go.

I agree, A set of Lee dippers will get you going well enough. I still use them.

Boolit Grand Master

Several tips to look at/ consider here.

1) hit the gun shows and estate sales, there is nothing wrong with used equipment. As long as its still accurate and this can be checked with a set of check weights easily. Even a brand new scales should be checked when setting up the firs time to make sure.

A good beam type scales is a big asset on the bench for a lot of things. A digital can be nice and can give better closer increments ( my gem pro reads to .02 grns instead of .1 grns) Some take up less bench space also.

2) Powder measures used or new are pretty universal and not a lot to go wrong with them but you do need a scales to set them. A used measure Lyman, rcbs, lee, Redding. or others is handy and easy to set and used. Powder measures may like certain powder types. Some do better with stick type some flakes and most do well with ball. The lyman 55 is a food all around measure, again these can be found used at good prices.

Dippers a trickler and scales can make very good accurate loads but is slower. Dippers from lee can be purchased or they can be made from tubing and wire. a couple lengths of brass, or steel tubing in various sizes some heavy copper wire to form handles from. and some flat stock for the base end and they are simple to make. Or they can be made from salvaged cases picked up around the range. Again a scales is needed to set and check them in use though

Banned
    While I'll endorse a good beam scale and used ones can be found, the prices of beam scales have risen beyond the price of digital scales.

If you get lucky and find a good, used, beam scale for less than $30 - I would recommend buying it. However, the price of digital scales have come down to the point they will almost always beat the cost of a mechanical scale.

I have an old 5-0-5 that continues to work perfectly and I have larger Ohus that needed some work but is reliable. My old Dillon "D" terminator digital continues to be very repeatable and I trust it for basic stuff. (checking powder measures after storage,etc. ) The 5-0-5 is the final say when it really matters.

A good resource for gently used stuff is to post a ad. here in the Sellin' & Swapping section as a WTB (want to buy)

Or check in often for the WTS items. But be quick, a lot of them go in a few minutes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Don't mean to hijack this post. So what brands of older beam scales have a poise lock? I have used a couple old Lymans for years and years but have also had a few issues with bumping the pan and the 1/10th poise moved and had to pull a few bullets. I have an older RCBS partner electronic also. But I've had to send it in a couple times to be fixed/ recalabrated. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this post. So what brands of older beam scales have a poise lock? I have used a couple old Lymans for years and years but have also had a few issues with bumping the pan and the 1/10th poise moved and had to pull a few bullets. I have an older RCBS partner electronic also. But I've had to send it in a couple times to be fixed/ recalabrated. Thanks.
    IIRC, my RCBS scale's drum has a set screw on the 1/10th "drum", but I have never tried to use it in that manner. Otherwise the Lee Safety Scale s the only one I know that incorporates a locking poise/slide...

A lot of fellers are recommending a dipper, but I would add; a dipper in conjunction with a scale.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    My lee beam scale and the perfect powder measure work just fine. You can pick both of them up for under 50 $ used even cheeper. Some people gripe about the lee scale being slow. Well Iam not ever in a hurry measuring powder ever. And the perfect powder measure will decently speed thing up if you want speed.

Boolit Master
    To date the only real “new” thing I have bought for reloading and casting is a die set, a size die and top punch for a specific application. Everything else pretty much came from the secondary market.

When working on a budget patience is the key and you have to invest time to hunt what you are looking for.

Don't forget about RCBS customer service. When I got my scale I sent it to RCBS for inspection. So if you get a deal on a used RCBS scale that's damaged or missing parts it might still be a great deal.

In Remembrance

My vote goes with a Lee Safety Powder Scale.
    The guy who started me reloading gave me a Lee Safety Powder Scale and it served me well for many years and while I now have a Lyman D7, the Lee still has a spot on my bench, I honestly am not sure why I switched.

Boolit Master

Have checked dippers against a beam scale and have gotten very consistent charges from the dippers. Any beam scale in good condition can be very reliable, though some are easier/quicker to use than others.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    The dipper is just a transfer tool to save time to load the scale pan?

Is that not what some of us are intending?

I started real high tech back in 1975 at the wee age of 19.

I used a small bowl and dipped my powder out of with a plastic picnic spoon. The powder went from the spoon to my shiny new RCBS 505 beam scale. When I went over, I pinched a few powder granules in my fingers from off the scale pan and trickled them back onto the pan until it balanced.

We are talking IMR 4350 and a heavy barrel 243 Win ......

The coyotes did not laugh long.

After these many decades I am still a beam scale guy but not a fan of the vaunted RCBS 505 for one simple flaw: The tenth’s of grain tab on the beam can and does jump to different settings when the beam drops as you remove the pan from the scale.

I imagine one could alieviate that problem with a pencil eraser positioned so that the beam banged down onto it instead of the scale’s frame, however I retired my 505, bought a 510 then fell into a 1010.

They all sit in envy on a shelf because I finnaly found a 304 Dial O Grain. Spendy even used but sweet!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-15-2019 at 04:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast