RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend and Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Doesn't look correct note pressure of HDY 180 gr SSPB compared to the other 180 gr bullets listed.

Attachment 298284
    The one with the low pressure has a very long COAL. With 1680, pressure drops fast as you get under 100% load density.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNDY 180 XTP & 180 SSPB.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	298317

hndy 180 xtp & 180 sspb

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDY 357 MAX 180 gr Data.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	298319
    Last edited by MarkP; 03-28-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I got some 1680 powder today and some CCI 450 Mag primers to light the 11FS powder I have.

What primers have you been using under the 1680 powder, now that I have a choice.

Things seem to be lightening up, THEY let me buy 2 bricks of primers this time!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    What primers have you been using under the 1680 powder, now that I have a choice.
    For the milsurp version (WC 680), I got good results with any primer I tried. Mostly regular SRPs, but also some SPMs I think.

Finally getting around to doing some loading using 1680 and the 180 and 200 grain cast bullets. Going to work up from 27.0 grains in .5 grain increments starting with the 182 grain HP mold. Have to weigh a couple because surely they don't weigh 182 grains with that gaping HP. I got my rifle functioning with the crappy Winchester 145 gr. FMJ! Nothing can stop me now.

Had to weigh one, 153 grains! This might end up being a test of powder coat as I bet I can easily get speeds over 2300 fps.

Boolit Master
    I loaded the last 9 free cartridges with 11FS and a Magnum Primer under the 38-200 to see if that will tighten up the extreme spread. Waiting for the range to open so I can unload the brass I have.
    Mal

Okay I loaded some from the 36-182 mold using the big deep HP pin. Only shot at 50 yards but accuracy is excellent. This bullet comes to 155 grains gas checked so the HP is approximately displacing 30 grains of lead. I used 23.0 grs. of I4227 since that was what is in my powder measure. At 50 yards I shot two 5 shot groups and in one 3 out of 5 touched and the other it was 4 out of 5. This from a Bear Creek Arsenal upper with a M4 contour barrel. Scope is a Konus 1-4x25 with a dot reticle. Rest was the side of a lawn tractor rear tire on the bench. Water jug test, I lined up 4 gallon milk jugs in front of the backstop and went back to the bench. Hit first jug right at the top of the sticker, it turned into a mist! The HP part of the bullet fragmented off the bullet slinging 8-10 grain chunks. One was stuck in the first jug, the second jug also had one and it's damage was a 3/8ths hole all the way through. the bullet which had been turned into an 80 grain wadcutter was laying in the third jug and a fragment penetrated the fourth jug completely. Velocity is guestimated around 1900 fps or a bit more. Barrel left very clean with some unburnt powder in the action but not much. Only 11 shots fired. Alloy is 50/50 pure lead to Wheel weight lead. Powder coated with the green powder. Really liking powder coated bullets. This bullet would make an excellent Raccoon eliminator and could be used on deer if a lot of penetration isn't needed.

And I just loaded and shot 20 rounds. These are the LEE 200 grain bullet powder coated and gas checked. Shot pretty fast taking no more than 5-10 seconds between shots to make sort of a fat group of one big hole in the middle and 3 or four flyers not touching the hole. The load in this case 21.3 grains of I4227. Found 21 pieces of brass, one I lost a couple days ago. Recoil is a bit more than the previous load accuracy plenty acceptable for hunting in the timber and seems like a pretty powerful round. Going to jug test the LEE bullet as soon as I collect some more milk jugs. One thing I really like about this round is you can shoot a lot of rounds quickly and the barrel does not get all that hot, at least not with these loads.

Boolit Master

1680 is my go to for the Maximum. After getting the 350 I almost immediately tried it it works but not the magic fairy dust like it is in my Maxi's.

If I had one to call best it would probably be H4227 and thats been discontinued!!

I have found a accuracy load with 12g of Blue Dot and a 180g NOE cast bullet. Only tried the deep and cup HP profiles but both shoot great. (No reason to suspect the solid would not as well) but they shoot about a 50cal hole @ 50 yards and 1" @ 100. They travel about 1400 fps and shoot thru deer with the cup pt. (I have t used the deep hp for fear of what Rick described above.) I powder coat and cast them about 14/15 BHN.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I took the 350L out last weekend and shot the works, 87 rounds. The wind was blowing so hard I had to sit out a relay when my steel target stand blew over but it was my birthday and I wasn't going to be denied. I took a short lane and set up at 25Y to get the red dot sighted. I was 3 inches out, made that correction and moved to 50Y and shot out the center of the target. I brought the chronograph but didn't set it up as it was enough work keeping targets on stands. 21g of 11FS with a mag primer seems to be my best load under the 38-200. It's above 1900 fps, how much I'll find out next trip. I got all my brass reloaded and ready. The brass looked really good, no banding at the base from too much pressure.

I bought once fired brass and 6 of the factory loads had banding at the base where the cartridge was not supported.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 05-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I went to the Range Monday, they were Closed for an emergency but said they would be open today. New "emergency" or the same one, they were closed today. Two wasted trips, monterey county range so they don't care. I asked my neighbor and shot in our driveway with a mountain for backstop, no targets.

21g of 11FS with a CCI 450 Magnum Primer under a 38-200 weighing 198g with a penta HP, COL 2.140". 16 inch barrel, carbine length gas system.

8 shots registered

Average 1951 fps

SD 21.4 fps

Spread 54 fps

So the Magnum Primers tightened up the spread by a LOT from 110 to 54 fps with 37 fps increase in velocity. The brass looks very good, no expansion in the unsupported area. Slight primer flow but they still have a round edge. I was hoping this would be at a 100Y target, next time.

Existing data for W296 shows 1990 fps @ 55,000 psi for this boolit from a 16" barrel so other than tweaking for accuracy, I think I am there.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 05-20-2022 at 08:33 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    The range has been closed a lot and my first day there I found I can't shoot rifle with a red dot, it's my eyes. It was so bad I was thinking the gun/load was no good. I was back again Friday with a scope rough sighted at home. It was 6" low at 50 yards, I overshot the adjustment, walked it back down and put 6 shots in under an inch. I got to the range too late to move to 100 yards, next time! I am really encouraged though, I know I can do better, need more trigger time!

21g 11FS under a 198g MP hollowpoint with a CCI Mag primer clocked at 1,951 fps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350Legend09.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Not bad.

It looks like you are going to be real close to what I set for my goal with the 357 AR max, under 2 moa with a 200 gr at 2000 fps.

Please tell us what combination/weight of bullet/powder
    you plan to use to get 200gr @ 2,000fps within 40,000psi.
    (Assuming 20" barrel)

Boolit Master
    I should be above 50,000 PSI with this load going by speed and comparing to H110 loads. Hodgdon's latest data shows almost identical data for 11FS and H110 but I am 2 grains light of the extrapolated load and running 40 fps slower than the H110 load. Primer flow is modest but I can't see going up a whole 2 grains.

I've been a revolver guy, this is my first centerfire rifle. I'm pretty sure now I can shave that group down to moa with some trigger time. I have some shooting rest bags coming this week. With covid all the sand bags disappeared from the county range. Health concerns? LOL
    Mal

So you are deliberately overloading the 357 Max by 25% ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    So you are deliberately overloading the 357 Max by 25% ?
    You may have me confused with P Flados. I am loading 350 Legend with a MAP of 55K PSI and am doing my best to stay under that. My first batch of brass was "once fired" Winchester. It probably was because the primers were crimped but there were a number of cartridges with "belts" below chamber support and some very lose primer pockets indicating they were loaded HOT. Chambering a round unseated one of my primers spilling powder so all the Winchester brass will be checked with the primer die before loading again. I just got a batch of new Starline and would like to make it last.
    Mal

Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

It probably was because the primers were crimped but there were a
    number of cartridges with "belts" below chamber support and some
    very lose primer pockets indicating they were loaded HOT.
    I've never encountered factory crimped primers in Winchester commercial. Nor have I ever had any
    overpressure/"belted" occurrences with the same Win ammunition. (at least the 180gr variety)

Methinks some of your "once fired" were in fact at 2x fires -- w/ the last firing being a handload using
    either Lil-Gun or H110/296 --both of which give significant early extraction "belt" problems in ARs

FWIW: I moved from Starline to Winchester brass after I looked at contributing factors in AR "belts"
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=42
    Last edited by mehavey; 06-20-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940 LastLast