WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend and Cast Boolits

Boolit Man
    Is there a general load density cutoff where lilgun gets nasty?
    At this point I don't think I'm going to get the 232 fp to work, load density is probably to low and I'm still over on velocity about 100fps, and running out of gas to run the action.

Going by the accurate 270c bullet quick target says 1.79 stability. Been looking around for a good mold with better stability and similar weight.

I think that is what it will come down to, as heavy a boolit as will stabilize subsonic.

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

Boolit Master

It dose t like to be compressed and it dosent generally take to light loadings.

I have experienced pressure spikes and it burns very hot. Meaning extended shooting isnt going to happen if you watch the barrel temperatures.

Its not a favorite.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    Just read this entire thread lots of info have parts and pieces coming for a 350 build except brass hard to come by
    I would love to get that NOE SC 359 191 ranch dog mold but they are all out of them and it doesn’t look like you can back order
    My marlin lever gun would love them I’m betting as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like that bullet too. But its not "friendly" in any of the four legends I have loaded for. Its nose/ bore rider is fat and causes very deep seating.

My favorite is the MP 200 & 220g bullets. The excellent RCBS/NOE/LEE 200 fp is very close but solid not HP.

Good luck

CW

My load for 350 legend is the Accurate 36-180LG (without lube groves) and Norma 200. I get about 2050 fps with a very low ES (generally about 10fps). And the pressure is fairly low (~40k psi) so it doesn't wreck my brass...

It is accurate and feels about like shooting a 44 mag lever gun.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gundogx2 View Post
    Just read this entire thread lots of info have parts and pieces coming for a 350 build except brass hard to come by
    I would love to get that NOE SC 359 191 ranch dog mold but they are all out of them and it doesn’t look like you can back order
    My marlin lever gun would love them I’m betting as well

Starline has brass in stock.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Not anymore says back ordered

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    My load for 350 legend is the Accurate 36-180LG (without lube groves) and Norma 200. I get about 2050 fps with a very low ES (generally about 10fps). And the pressure is fairly low (~40k psi) so it doesn't wreck my brass...

It is accurate and feels about like shooting a 44 mag lever gun.
    Are you shooting this in an AR?
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio
    That's also (my) AR/Load set-up
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...&postcount=283

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Yes. I had a hard time getting it to feed 100%. What I have done is:
    1) I got a light recoil spring from springco.
    2) My barrel slugs right at .355, so I am sizing to .356. (Sizing to .357 gave me some feed issues).
    3) I am using a Hornady bullet seating die that has the collar that keeps the boolit straight when seating.
    4) I put a light crimp with a LEE factory crimp die.

At this point, it cycles 100% and shoots very accurately.

I'm actually using 28.2 grain - that seems to be the sweet point on my rifle.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 04-05-2021 at 11:47 PM.
    WWG1WGA

Cross-over post might be of interest

Conflating both the H110/QuickLoad/pressure spike issue in
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=611249
    and this one, I noted the comment that the old BPCR practice of a single piece
    of toilet paper over the flash-hole/under the powder -- would also serve to keep
    very fine ball powders out of that flash-channel and out of the primer itself.

Given I could never understand how the H110 loads in the above thread could
    spike to actually expand the entire solid portion of the case head -- "belting"
    it so to speak -- I tried it yesterday with the offending LEGEND load previously
    mentioned -- but with a single 24-lb inkjet paper 'disk' over the flash-hole.

Ten rounds... each case examined on ejection for even any hint of problem.

Note the use of W296 instead, and even when starting burn rate is adjusted to match a higher velocity we still don't hit MaxP
    2,156±08 fps -- extremely consistent -- not even a hint of pressure effects.

But I still don't trust the load. READER TAKE NOTE
    *** DO NOT USE AS-IS ***
    Last edited by mehavey; 04-06-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Thank you sir. I bookmarked the page and will be going back to it.
    Deplorable infidel

Thanks 44. I think you guys are getting this dialed in. I like seeing 180 gr. over 2k/fps. at only 40k/psi range. Much calmer load than 296. I made notes and will play with this if I can get my hands on some Norma.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Anybody try the MP 359-200 WNFP/HP GC mold for the 350L?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Banned

Yep! Shoots very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Riflesafety View Post
    Anybody try the MP 359-200 WNFP/HP GC mold for the 350L?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

It and the 360-220 are FAVORITES!!
    https://youtu.be/utPN0UmBk5w

Boolit Man
    Curious if anyone has one of the NOE 360-249 HP molds. I know they are sold out on the web site id like to try it in a FP or cup point config.

As now I have a working load for an AR pistol with the 360-232 ranch dog bullet but it is on the ragged edge or reliability. I'm wondering if the additional weight and chamber pressure would help. also hollow point because why not?

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

OK, finally got around to fooling with the 350. I cast a bunch of Accurate 36-180L out of fairly soft alloy and tumble lubed, sized to 357. What I want is a lower powered, plain based load that is accurate to 50 yards for muskrat and beaver hunting after I found factory FMJ to be a bit over the top. I found that if I seated this bullet to a COAL of 2.13" it would feed reasonably well (loading is easy, unloading is a little sticky). I decided to call a max load of trail boss about 7.5 grains (it is probably a few tenths more, but I am being conservative). Loaded up test rounds of 6.5, 7.0 and 7.3 grains of Trail Boss as well as 7, 8, 9 and 10 grains of Unique. I accidentally powder coated a single 180L as I was coating a bunch of 45 bullets, so I made an extra 7.0 Trail Boss load. It fed ok, but was a little stiffer than the tumble lubed ones.

I will see how these shoot. If I get a good one, I may trial to dial in even closer to the magic load with both 357 and 356 sized bullets to see if I can get it to feed a little better.

BTW, I tried using the Lee FCD once and found that it is really designed for pointy, jacketed bullets, not cast.

I also have both checked and unchecked versions of RCBS 35-200 that I may try in this rifle, especially if I can't get the 180Ls to do what I want.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    OK, finally got around to fooling with the 350. I cast a bunch of Accurate 36-180L out of fairly soft alloy and tumble lubed, sized to 357. What I want is a lower powered, plain based load that is accurate to 50 yards for muskrat and beaver hunting after I found factory FMJ to be a bit over the top. I found that if I seated this bullet to a COAL of 2.13" it would feed reasonably well (loading is easy, unloading is a little sticky). I decided to call a max load of trail boss about 7.5 grains (it is probably a few tenths more, but I am being conservative). Loaded up test rounds of 6.5, 7.0 and 7.3 grains of Trail Boss as well as 7, 8, 9 and 10 grains of Unique. I accidentally powder coated a single 180L as I was coating a bunch of 45 bullets, so I made an extra 7.0 Trail Boss load. It fed ok, but was a little stiffer than the tumble lubed ones.

I will see how these shoot. If I get a good one, I may trial to dial in even closer to the magic load with both 357 and 356 sized bullets to see if I can get it to feed a little better.

BTW, I tried using the Lee FCD once and found that it is really designed for pointy, jacketed bullets, not cast.

I also have both checked and unchecked versions of RCBS 35-200 that I may try in this rifle, especially if I can't get the 180Ls to do what I want.
    Unique would be a good powder for that... Also Alliant 2400. I did some testing with that and just couldn't get the same velocity as Norma200 - but if you are going slower it will work great.
    WWG1WGA

What I want is a lower powered, plain based load
    Bolt action?

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast