Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: 350 Legend and Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Please tell us what combination/weight of bullet/powder
    you plan to use to get 200gr @ 2,000fps within 40,000psi.
    (Assuming 20" barrel)
    Do not confuse the 357 AR Max (rimless) with the 357 Max (rimmed) round.

The 357 AR Max is a wildcat and no one ever tried to limit it to 40,000 psi. I use brass made from 223/556 in an AR platform gun. The AOL for my stuff would be the same as the 350L for an AR (magazine limited). The crowd that worked this round up were willing to go to 55,000 psi or slightly higher.

I got a little over 2000 fps with a 200 gr in a 16" gun using Wc 680 in a load that was just a little too hot for the primers. I think I should be getting 1985 fps or so in a load that seemed Ok for the primers. I considered the 1985 fp "close enough".

Boolit Master
    I've never encountered factory crimped primers in Winchester commercial. Nor have I ever had any
    overpressure/"belted" occurrences with the same Win ammunition. (at least the 180gr variety)

Methinks some of your "once fired" were in fact at 2x fires -- w/ the last firing being a handload using
    either Lil-Gun or H110/296 --both of which give significant early extraction "belt" problems in ARs

FWIW: I moved from Starline to Winchester brass after I looked at contributing factors in AR "belts"
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=42
    You could be right about the brass. I figured crimping primers would be beyond most reloaders. Someone could also pull down the cheap Winchester 145g bullet rounds and reload those. At one point they were close to the price of primed brass.

I dyed a piece of fired brass and spun it in the chamber of my AR and the area where the bulge was, is unsupported chamber. It was loaded Too Hot.

My new Starline looks good after firing. I think if you stay under 55K PSI you are probably good. I am a little suspicious of the load data though. I am 2 grains light of max load but only 39 fps slower.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Do not confuse the 357 AR Max (rimless) with the 357 Max (rimmed) round.

The 357 AR Max is a wildcat and no one ever tried to limit it to 40,000 psi. I use brass made from 223/556 in an AR platform gun. The AOL for my stuff would be the same as the 350L for an AR (magazine limited). The crowd that worked this round up were willing to go to 55,000 psi or slightly higher.

I got a little over 2000 fps with a 200 gr in a 16" gun using Wc 680 in a load that was just a little too hot for the primers. I think I should be getting 1985 fps or so in a load that seemed Ok for the primers. I considered the 1985 fp "close enough".
    I'm pretty sure I could go a little past 2,000 fps and still be under 55K PSI with 11FS but 1,951 is plenty good.
    Mal

As another data point, I have been working on a short range beaver load, meant to relatively quietly and cleanly make a headshot on a swimming beaver at 25 to 50 yards. After a bunch of testing, I have settled on the MP version of the RCBS 35-200 bullet sans gas check. I powder coated and sized to .357, cast out of range scrap with a little tin it weighs 207 grains. Seated to 2.100" oal and charged with 7.0 grains of unique, I easily got minute of beaver (well under 1 inch) groups at 25 yards. Don't know what it will chrono out of my 16" barrel, but a hit in the brain pan or spine on a beaver with this bullet should end it quickly. Recoil is negligible and muzzle blast is minimal, although I suspect these are still supersonic.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I just got a 1-6x24 FFP Raptor Scope mounted on my 16"AR and hope to shoot it this weekend. I ran the ballistics and with that same 200g RCBS at 1950fps I will zero at 50 and 100 yards with a 10 inch drop at 200. I got the 300BO reticle as Sub/Super falls on both sides of 350L, I'll just need to see where 1-200 falls on the reticle. I've no ranges beyond 200Y and there is no place on my property that you can see 200Y so I won't worry about the 38" drop at 300Y.

My tight group at 50Y opened up at 100Y but the barrel was filthy. It's new and I need to clean more often. Cleaned and oiled the bolt too, it was starting to get stiff with combustion products. There have been no failures to load in the last 200 rounds. I did nothing so I think it was the buffer breaking in.
    Mal

Boolit Buddy

Waking up a sleeping thread. Any experience with accurate TCM powder in the 350L? I now use it for TCM22 instead of H110 and it works well in that cartridge. A little faster burn rate and a slightly lower weight &volume. The associated cartridge data is limited but they are all the common pistol magnums.
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 09-18-2023 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Brand error
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

QuickLoad thinks (Accurate) TCM might be OK for normal
    350 LGND weight(180gr-ish)/velocity(2100+fps) applications

Boolit Buddy

QuickLoad thinks (Accurate) TCM might be OK for normal
    350 LGND weight(180gr-ish)/velocity(2100+fps) applications
    Thank You!
    I will edit my post as well.

Well I ended up loading all my brass with either the Mihec HP 220 gr. and the 200 gr. LEE over 21.3 grains of I4227. Functioned well, shot nice and offered enough power. Since deer season started today i am dragging it out for a test fire to make sure the upper is still sighted in. I was sidetracked by a 6AR project and a new Grendel upper. Going to do most of my deer hunting with a muzzleloader this year but hog hunting after deer season is my favorite past time. I may get the chrony out also just to see how fast I am tossing the bullets out there. Well heck(crap), company. Guess this will wait until tomorrow.

Boolit Mold
    Old thread but here is what it brings to the table over the 20 and 12 gage.
    1. Recoil it’s like a 243 in that department. It’s great for kids better than a shotgun for sure.
    2. Way cheaper to shoot practice with and proficient with. A box of 5 sabots run around $25.
    3. You can Load your own.
    4. As far as straight walled rounds go it’s hot a lot more range than most.
    5. Large range of weapons to use out of especially for youth shooters vs a slug gun

Boolit Buddy

Thought you might be interested. The updated Hodgdon online reference has data for several of the powders discussed later in this thread for 350 Legend.

Forgot to add, still sighted in and accurate. Thanks for the new data I didn't know they had updated. Looks like I4227 works pretty good.

Boolit Bub
    As suggested I am adding my 2 bits to this thread. It ain't much and it will take time but I am working on a duplex load for my 16" AR type 350 legend. Using 7grs of Unique I first drop in a 150gr wadcutter then a Hihec 125gr 9mm HP. Gordons predicts 1100fps at 37K psi so it should be safe enough. I will probably be at least a week before I can get to the range but here is a sneal preview.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/att...076630&thumb=1

Boolit Bub
    Cut and paste from a different thread. I should have posted it here but what can I sat? It is here now.
    Well it worked and the impacts were pretty dang close. (will try to post the picture of it) Recoil was mellow along with report. Ting qith a bit more lead next time. 148gr wadcutter behind a 147 FMJ TC. Still 7gr of Unique. Oh, doesn't even come close to cycling the action...
    There are 4 holes in that picture. The wadcutters are obvious but look real close at the bottom wadcutter, you can see along the top where the hollowpoint just grazed a bit on the top.
    Shot at 50YdsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Duplex.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	324462

Well, two of us have done it and we both say it does not have enough gas volume/pressure to run the AR's action.

It does not shoot near to point of aim --- why should it as it is 3-4 times as massive and is running much much slower, so much slower than what we shot while we were zeroing our scope.

What is it good for? Not much, really, beyond any proposed subsonic uses.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 03-27-2024 at 05:28 PM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Now, let's revisit my HST cut bullets and I will give you my results and show you my rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HST.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	324533

Now, for a close up of the bullet holders.

Name:	holders.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	324534

The bullet holders are important as they grip the assembled round while it is getting cut in the required pattern while keeping the cutter away from your skin.

The square uses the whole form of the track while the hex form goes in with a point down into the "v" groove and uses the flat sides as the sliding alignment. Also note the scribing on the front of the hex form that allows a more rapid alignment of the bullet skiving marks to the HST cuts.

Time to process a bullet including cleaning up the expansion cone at the nose is less than 2 minutes per round. I have processed about 900 rounds now and have only used up one edge of a single cutter blade (this has happened twice now -- the first of these two edges chipped due to my clumsiness engaging a bullet). The chipping on the second cutter blade was a fatigue based crack that made a smooth arc from one mounting hole to the other mounting hole.

The sharp eyed among you can see hard epoxy coating on the wooden track --- the vibrating blade transferred enough energy to the holders to beat up the simple soft pine wooden track. Two passes with a strong slow setting epoxy both penetrated the wood and greatly strengthened it and gave it a slick surface that allowed the aluminum blocks to slide along very well.

Plus, it gives me a repair method for when the track gets buggered up again by human error. Clean it good, sand the surface with very rough paper to give a good connection surface then apply a new coat of epoxy rubbing it in good to get into the rough surface really well.

Then you Vaseline up a same same piece of raw extruded aluminum stock then lightly clamp it in place over the half set epoxy to give the alignment track a continuous mating form for the sliding holder to track down.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; Yesterday at 02:24 PM.

The six petal HST opens explosively at rifle velocities with the shank stub portion continuing on through my 3 deep milk jugs. There simply isn't much left of the unfolded twisted busted up first milk jug. The second jug front is split where it was sitting in contact with the first jug, with a single ragged hole in the back where the shank broke through. Third jug has ragged hole front and back so the shank had some penetrating power still left.

The 4 petal HST form DOES INDEED survive long enough to do some expanded flute damage to the second and third milk jug, indicating that the opened petals are strong enough for something of them to survive initial opening and then going through the skin of the subsequent milk jugs so I tend to think 4 flutes really are the best option for hunting.

No opened bullets were found lying around ---- they all went that-a-way at some sort of velocity.

Cut bullets are not as accurate as uncut bullets, with 4 petals being slightly more accurate than 6 petals. So, cut bullets should be best used inside 100 yards in my estimation.

Loading ramp jam ups can deform cut bullets, with 6 flute being weaker than 4 flute bullets.

So, I cannot say my HST cut bullets in all honesty are anything other than a moderately effective experiment.

I can say that HST 4 flute cuts do mean a bullet that WILL EXPAND and it will hang together more than not and it will be functionally accurate inside 60-100 yards.

This is "good enough for government work" for personal defense in my estimation.

I did take Zero brand 147 jacketed slugs from "unopenable for love or money" to "explosively expanding" for the six petal cut version and to "normally functional" for the four petal cut version, so my experiment was effective in that aspect.

I will keep the motorized HST rig around as I can make a bullet holder for another cartridge or even design a holder to grip a single bullet if I need to in the future.

==================================

Curious point, jacketed bullets actually cut much quicker and easier than poly coated cast bullets.

I attribute this to the softer (dead soft) lead alloy used in the jacketed bullets vs the gummy tough wheel weight alloy used in my normal cast slugs.

Also remember the serrated knife edge that is used in the micro cutter blade. The serrated edge tends to move the lead to one side as it slides in rather than cut out lots of little pieces or chips out of it like a normal saw blade does.

Gummy WW metal resists this off to one side displacement a lot more than the soft lead that is "force formed inside the hard jacket" sort of bullet does.

Forcing the cut to happen too quickly can result in a cut that curves towards the blade bevel side of the blade as the .005" thick blade swims through the lead, this is a consistent noticeable effect of "going too fast".

Filling the hollow point with a drop of oil is plenty enough to lubricate the cutting of one bullet.

This was a moderately successful project, by and large
    Last edited by Oldfeller; Yesterday at 09:35 AM.

As I finish out processing the last few of my pre-assembled rounds, I have begun to wonder what to call them.

I bought a 500 box of 147 grain bullets from Rose Distributors and then a larger set of 500 count boxes from Zero bullets and there are some definite processing differences inside these boxes (and a lot of tooling based similarities) between the various lots of 147 grain Zero bullets that I have.

The later lots of 147 grain jacketed are much more concisely skived with deeper nose serrations, but not that they would actually open up in water jugs any tiny bit at all. They open up reliably in sand, not water .......

I also bought some hundreds of lighter 124 grain bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading which supposedly do actually open up reliably in water at higher pistol velocities according to the RMR folks. I fling them at least twice that fast out of my AR, so I don't think opening the bullet up is any problem with the 125 grain RMR bullets .......

I think I shall generically call them "350 Legend jacketed bullets bought over the internet" (which is demonstratively true) and let the cops figure it all out themselves if I have to go there.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 03-27-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Only load I use in a savage axis is 10.0g of Unique under a 356402 cast from powder coated 4:1 (ww/lino) and water dropped out of the P/C oven. Magnetospeed says right at 1700 if I remember right.
    They shoot like a house fire. Here's 10 rounds @ 50 yards

Name:	20210221_122633.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	324779
    He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily. Nahum 2:1

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940