Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on the Uberti 1858 revolving carbine?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Too bad they weren't made in smaller caliber just for hunting.
    Somebody is bound to have considered it.
    Very old post but, .451 RB is great for rabbits and tree rat with low load, up the load, fox and bigger are O.K.

Boolit Buddy
    Uberti 1858 carbine with a rear peep sight mounted behind the hammer on the stock is my most used hunting rifle for Grouse since 1989 .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    Uberti 1858 carbine with a rear peep sight mounted behind the hammer on the stock is my most used hunting rifle for Grouse since 1989 .
    Add a picture please

Boolit Buddy

I hah to cut the bead off the front sight so it is now just a post .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1010.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

1858 carbine

More pictures loaded with 35 grains of fff or ff black powder or Pyrodex and 454 Hornady or Speer round ball .
    FFF velocity 833 FPS
    FF velocity 869 FPS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1013.jpg   IMG_1012.jpg   IMG_1011.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting that the velocity of 2F load is higher, have seen this a couple of times with some long barreled guns.

Boolit Master

I hold mine with a 2 hand grip BEHIND the forcing cone. They do spit some..as expected.

Boolit Buddy
    When hunting wear safety glasses mostly dark when in the sun and the yellow ones in dark timber and keep a ear pug in my left ear and put the right side in before I shoot and hand behind cylinder .The nipples going off do pepper the side of my face .

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting link below, note the 45 colt conversion gun serial number 34 with 18" barrel, trigger guard , loading lever, size of side relief scallops on stock (stock to frame), rear sight type, if Uberti used a gun as a model this has to be it.

The other point of interest for me was how close today's cartridge conversion cylinders are to the originals.
    .46 rimfire making the transition from old caliber reference to new way (back then), land size as bore to groove size (.44 land , .46 groove).

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/a-s...olving-rifles/
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 02-04-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add info

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    Is the rifling twist rate the same on the 1989 model as the new one, I know of changes in bore/groove depth a friend has one with a .460 groove depth but has the 1 in 18 twist (6 year old gun).

Boolit Buddy
    Dixie lists twist as 1 in 38" (has to be a typo) , I've seen reference to 1 in 30" and 1 in 32" along with 1 in 18" twist (new/newish) .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    At some point, Uberti must have made some Navy [.38nom] caliber ones, because I saw the barrels & cylinders listed as parts at some point [long ago. Numrich maybe?] but they probably never came stateside as being "not historically correct" or something. Maybe someone in Yurp can tell us if they have them over there in Navy config?
    .36 is historically correct, I don't think Uberti ever made one in .36, maybe to company that made the Colt Root revolving carbine, I would like to see that repro come back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coltroot.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	277391

I had one I bought used, and lost in a house fire. Took me some time to get used to shooting it. **Never put your hand in front of the cylinder...not very safe, and can be painful!**
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
    I had one I bought used, and lost in a house fire. Took me some time to get used to shooting it. **Never put your hand in front of the cylinder...not very safe, and can be painful!**
    True for most revolvers!

Boolit Mold
    Hi all,
    I have just recently become aware of the 1858 Remington Army .44 cal carbine. It looks like a fun firearm! But the vids I have seen show the ram lever dropping after a few rounds. Is this a chronic issue? Is there a simple fix?

I was looking particularly at the Cimarron offering, which I assume is an Uberti? Are spare cylinders available for this?

I am new-ish to BP, I have a traditional cap-fired muzzleloader, and want to get further into BP. This carbine looks like a good gateway drug.

Many thanks!

Don

Boolit Buddy
    I'm enjoying mine. I bought a Howell conversion cylinder in 45 Colt. Accuracy is minute of pie plate at 100. With the BP cylinder I found that conicals like the Lee 200 gr. are more accurate than round balls. Definitely wear good shooting glasses with wide lenses. I always feel stinging on my cheeks when shooting both BP and 45 Colt cartridges. But it is a great deal of fun. Good luck!

Boolit Mold
    Theyre super fun to shoot and very accurate to 100 yards. Given that muzzle velocities on an 8" barrel with 30 grains of 3f and a 138 grain round ball are well over 800 ft/second, which gives you just over 200 ft/lbs energy, the added barrel length of the carbine and a heavier conical is gonna bring energy levels in the neighborhood of 45acp. Pretty cool!

As for gripping the gun behind the cylinder, yes always. I see reference to an experiment showing virtually no dangerous velocities from
    a round fired directly from the cylinder, as happens in a chainfire, but its difficult to lend this much credence when an 1858 with a 3" barrel, 30 grains 3f and round ball achieves 700 ft/second. Also, a pepper box can kill. Its firing bullets directly from a cylinder. And the chainfires ive seen on video send lead balls out fast enough to splatter against the frame where they do hit. Thats gonna hurt a fellows hand.
    Last edited by SlippyRider; 11-19-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12