RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dorian is coming to Florida

In Remembrance

Hurricane Dorian is coming to Florida

As many of you have likely already heard, a possible CAT 4 hurricane is coming our way here in Florida. Likely to come ashore perhaps Monday night/Tuesday morning. The prediction track and timing keeps changing. Currently, the track has it landing somewhere near the lower east coast of the state, but since the storm is also predicted to hook to the right (North) after making landfall, the entire state (with the exception of the panhandle) is at risk. At 120 miles in diameter, and the radius being 60 miles, and with the whole peninsula only 100 or so miles wide, the storm will affect almost everyone in the state.

We have many CB members living in Florida, including our owner, Robert. I ask for your prayers, positive thoughts, and best wishes for God's good graces to get us safely through this one.

I'm as prepared as I can be. And, I even have a plan B to get to a buddy's home an hour west of here, if they announce a mandatory evacuation. I'm only 1.5 miles from the coast, just south of Daytona Beach. I'm not sure how the next few days will go, internet will likely be down. I'd ask that those of you who are in Florida check in here, and let us all know that you are safe. If anyone close to me needs any assistance prepping for the last minute, let me know. I'd be happy to do what I can. God speed.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Good luck and stay safe.

With the wind headed your way, don't forget to nail down the dog.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Best wishes & prayers!

Be smart & do what is right to keep yourselves safe!

"Things" mean nothing, Survival & being safe does mean everything..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Less important than mileage from the coast is altitude. How many feet above mean sea level are you? Here at 23 ft above we are out of all the hurricane evacuation zones.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    God bless and prayers sent to all folks in Florida and with the unpredictability that seems to be an issue with this strengthing storm, the folks in Georgia as well.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Duke, you east coast boys be careful over there. So far the track shows my locale getting wind and rain but nothing too severe. I have lived here since before Andrew and have not left my home yet. I guess that will continue with Dorian. It's still a ways away. Going to Mom's in the morning to bring a few things inside so she feels better but she will probably end up staying with us for a couple of days. She is only about 20 minutes away so no real big deal. I think the lead up is sometimes almost as bad as the storm. Very little gas to be had here. Stupid things like bread and milk almost bare on the shelves. Lucky for me pork butt is on sale for $1.99, bought two. They will be smoking come early morning. Stay safe. I wish everyone the best of luck.

James

Boolit Buddy

Take a bunch of pictures of as much as you can and get them in the cloud for safe recovery. It’s a game changer when filing claims and losses.

Stay armed and stick to your action benchmarks for muster and evac.

Godspeed and good luck brothers
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

You guys stay safe. SIL is recovering from cancer treatements in Palm Coast, they are staying this time.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have a buddy who lives in Palm Coast. I told him to pack up and head here, but he's not sure if he wants to leave his house. It looks like the hurricane will go right up I 95 N. At least at last report. A cat 4 isn't anything to play with, and staying in the house ain't gonna help it hold together any better...I dunno what he's going to do.....

Y'all stay safe, whatever your choice is!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I was raised in central Florida, sat through a lot of hurricanes. scared to death with each of them. If you do have to evacuate , forget the interstate , find Hwy 27 , it will take you to the west side of the state. it is a seldom used 4 lane that will take you strait north. ad get you to safety.
    stay safe friend.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Prayers to all in harms way. I have only lived in Wis., my whole life, and have to deal with tornadoes and bad weather, where you get a couple of hours, if that, warning. I would think I would be exhausted by the time the hurricane got there, with worry, with this much time, as I tend to overthink, everything. Be safe.

Boolit Grand Master

Daughter is stationed in Gainesville. She decided to go up to Ft. Benning and ride out the rain there.

Hope all in Fl stay safe but i'll say this. I'm pretty sick of the week long non-stop "your all gonna die" hysteria every storm induces in the media. The fools clearing out the shelves of water get me, too. You have hurricane season every year. Buy some darn provisions and keep them handy. Keep your vehicle(s) topped off with gas. Have some food handy at all time including canned. Those buckets of dehydrated food that last 25yrs are very nice as emergency stuff.

When we get a storm predicted and people ask us what we are doing our answer is "not much, maybe clean the gutters"

https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw Keeping water on hand is good. These, though, are a great thing to have. We also have the water bottles. One straw will filter enough water for 4 or 5 years for one person and fit in your pocket. If the water is half-way clear you can drink right out of a mud puddle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought one of these solar charges a few months ago and used it for 2 straight weeks at my camp. Powered my phones and kindles with no problem. Folds up in a small package, too.

https://www.amazon.com/ProTeam-Chlor.../dp/B008DZOUJG Do your research on this and get the right stuff. One bucket of tabs of the right one (this is just a picture of what I am talking about, I don't have this type) will purify millions of gallons of water with chlorine. You can buy individual tabs in foil packs at WalMart. This will make bleach for disinfectant and also give you water to drink. Just make sure nothing else is in it like algicides, coloring etc. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE BUYING AND USING
    Last edited by jonp; 08-31-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    Take a bunch of pictures of as much as you can and get them in the cloud for safe recovery. It’s a game changer when filing claims and losses.

Stay armed and stick to your action benchmarks for muster and evac.

Godspeed and good luck brothers
    Very Good Advice.

Also make sure your insurance is up to date, you have a correct list of valuables and serial numbers of all firearms. I have foam lined waterproof travel cases for all my handguns. Makes it easy to throw them in the car or truck for transport. They would be good for other things, too
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Get High and DRY I think this could be a bad one.

Will be praying for you all down there.

Banned
    Having lived in Florida many years ago I can say the hype is sometimes worse than the reality.

There's really no "high ground" in south Florida, it's about as flat as it can be, but if you're inland enough the storm surge will not be a danger.
    Wind is the threat inland but if your house is well built, you can ride it out. The massive destruction seen after Hurricane Andrew was more due to the lax building codes and shoddy construction than the intensity of the storm (although Andrew was a massive cat 5 when it made landfall). Florida learned their lesson after Andrew and building codes were changed, stronger designs became more prevalent and people generally have more respect for the power of storms.

If you live where the storm surge or flooding is a possibility - GET OUT while you can. If you live in a structure that cannot withstand the wind - GET OUT while you can.

If you live in a strong house that can survive the wind and is unlikely to be affected by the storm surge, you can prepare and ride it out.

Hurricanes are common in the southeastern U.S., this isn't our first rodeo.

Boolit Master

Hour to hour tracking. Hitting E. of Central FL, S. of Central FL, now skirting the coast. Only time will tell and the media's non-stop h***, fire, and brimstone doesn't help. This year's "crop" of FB memes are quite good and break the tension (representative sample):

Last edited by Land Owner; 08-31-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like, for now, that it has turned north, and maybe heading up the coast.

Boolit Grand Master

Prayers for everyone in the path of this storm. You'all batten down the hatches! Good Luck!

Boolit Master
    Went and bought extra smokes and beer.

In Remembrance

I'm a whopping 45 feet above normal sea level. No flooding with any of the previous storms, so not expecting flooding this time. I have my home pretty well battened down this time (every time), so the only worry is from flying objects (neighbor's roofs, etc).

I'm half way between I 95 and the ocean, with the Intercoastal being a mile from here. So, I especially liked the meme with the spaghetti lines (we're rooting for you, little buddy). Thanks for posting that.

Time will tell how it's gonna go. I'm ready for all eventualities. Good luck to everyone in harms way.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast