RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mequon reloading kit

Boolit Master

mequon reloading kit

what is the story on the older mequon reloading kits vs. the lee loader? is there any value to them vs the lee. i have one in7x57 that i will never use.

Being they are older than the Lee kit's, and out of production they may bring a better price.
    You might do some searching on sites that auction firearms and related equipment.
    Places like gunbroker.com
    Leo

Somewhere in that start of a list was a kit with a hand primer with screw in shell holders and a kit with an inside neck reamer for rifle cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    what is the story on the older mequon reloading kits vs. the lee loader? is there any value to them vs the lee. i have one in7x57 that i will never use.
    You might find this interesting reading.

http://gunlore.awardspace.info/gunknow/LeeTools.htm

Mr. Lee touched on this subject in his book also.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

I don't know the full story but the Lee Loader is older than the Mequon(MRC) loader. I bought my first Lee reloader ins 1963. The Mequon came some years later. It seems there was a dispute within the Lee company and Richard Lee was forced out and set up Mequon. There are others on the forum that have more knowledge about this situation than I do. The Mequon full length sizes and the Lee's do not. The Mequon came with a hand primer tool and the Lee does not. The only Lee Loader that came with a hand primer was the Target Loader, which is in my opinion one of the best reloading kits ever made. The sized, trimmed to length, inside neck reamed, and There were a couple of other small differences but much the same principal. I owned several and still do. james

I guess I might be wrong on which is older. I haven't read that part of my Lee book lately.
    I do recall he started the Lee company then got pushed out. He then started Lee Precision.
    Leo

I read that link posted earlier. Richard Lee and a partner started Lee Custom Engineering in 1958. The partner sold of most of his shares to a third party. This third party stepped in as President and therewere conflicts between him a Lee.
    In 71 Richard Lee started Lee Precision.
    In 1974 Lee got pushed out of Lee Custom engineering.
    In 1980-81 Lee Custom changed their name to Meguon.
    Richard Lee had nothing to do with Mequon.
    Around 1988 Mequon ceased operations.
    The link has more history but these are the basics.
    Thanks for the link. A good hoitory lesson.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I read that link posted earlier. Richard Lee and a partner started Lee Custom Engineering in 1958. The partner sold of most of his shares to a third party. This third party stepped in as President and therewere conflicts between him a Lee.
    In 71 Richard Lee started Lee Precision.
    In 1974 Lee got pushed out of Lee Custom engineering.
    In 1980-81 Lee Custom changed their name to Meguon.
    Richard Lee had nothing to do with Mequon.
    Around 1988 Mequon ceased operations.
    The link has more history but these are the basics.
    Thanks for the link. A good hoitory lesson.
    Leo
    That's a good synopsis Leo. There's an awful lot of good reading at that site - they go into the history of several different companies involved in the reloading equipment industry. Mr. Lee always struck me as a very astute businessman. His contribution to reloading in general is often overlooked.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I dont see any overlooking around my workshop... it is full of Lee Red.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    Which of the two competing "Lee" companies made the pistol rest? I think it was Lee Custom/Mequon, as I've seen some (IRRC) of the last ones so labeled This would make sense as they disappeared about the same time as the Mequon company name. Nowhere near as good as the one Ransom, of course, but somewhat better than a rolled up blanket on the bench.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

The article linked by mac60 explains it quite well. The Mequon loader is a relabeled Lee Loader...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I dont see any overlooking around my workshop... it is full of Lee Red.
    Mine too!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    725 is looking for one of these in WTB swapping and selling right now.

Boolit Master
    Mequon sold a kit with a full length sizer that was not chrome plated. The FL sizer that I had was too rough for real use since it scared up the brass. The Mequon loader also had the unitized priming tool that had a permanently attached shell holder with a plastic body. Just search Mequon unitized loader and then pick images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2506leeloader002.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	247185

Mequon also peddled some neck sizing dies and they were duds too. I have 4 or 5 of them for straight cases
    EDG

Boolit Master

One problem with the Lee and the Mequon was that users seldom lubed the case before sizing. Works pretty well on the Lee which neck sizes, but can be a chore on the Mequon which full length sizes. I had to learn the hard way myself in the 60's. my experience, james

Boolit Buddy

thanks for the article link mac60, great info, always interesting to read stuff like that

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    thanks for the article link mac60, great info, always interesting to read stuff like that
    You're welcome Andy, glad you enjoyed it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m dragging this old thread back out for another run. I want to two specific questions. First, was the red plastic/pot metal priming tool design one of Richard Lee’s or did it come from Lee Custom after his time? Second, the same question with regard to the Pistol Rest(?) Both came out while the company was called “Lee Custom” and in most of the available history RL is given credit as the inventor of all things Lee.

It’s a shame that these two items disappeared with the closing of Mequon. I have some of both and like all things associated with Lee, they tend to do well, especially for their cost.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Don't sell that "plastic" primer tool in the Mequon short, I have one that is several years old and it is still going strong. I broke the first Lee hand primer tool (older screw type) and learned to use 4 finger on the lever to better distribute the force on the handle. I never use my thumb and I have not had a handle break since I quit using my thumb as leverage. The body is in my hand and the 4 fingers are on the lever and the lever is pulled toward my body, not away from it. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master
    So far I’ve never broken one of the metal nor the plastic ones, but I’ve seen and heard of several. That’s a good idea bout distributing the pressure on the handle. Also, it’s a good idea to put a little water pump grease on the bearing surface inside whenever you have it apart to change shell holders.

Froggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast