Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mequon reloading kit

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    what is the story on the older mequon reloading kits vs. the lee loader? is there any value to them vs the lee. i have one in7x57 that i will never use.
    Want to donate it to a great cause? Cause I don’t have a 7x57!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 12 ga shotshell loader is a Megoun I thought it had preceded Lee but the above article said circa 1980, So it came after. It is virtually identical to the Lee kits except for the box.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    My Lee Custom set in 410 X 2 1/2 just has the data card with it... the copyright date on the corner of the card is 1963, so I think this confirms that the Lee Custom labeling precedes the Mequon one. I need to get one of the early instruction sheets (either original, photocopy or even scan) so I can go through things step by step the way they suggested. There is actually a 10 minute You Tube presentation that does a pretty fair job of showing it, so if necessary, I guess I can watch it two or six more times then plow into it. The one thing holding me back now is that the data card shows one charge only... 14.4 grains of 2400, but doesn't say anything about wads etc, and since I'll be using current AA hulls and Claybuster wads and the usual 1/2 oz of shot, but I don't have any of the powders now suggested, and I'm a little hesitant to use that much 2400 without having any factory data to go by. In my reading it appears that Accurate #9 or its non-canister equivalent may work, so I'm pursuing that now as well., but I'd really like to find a pound of 296 or H110 lurking in a dark corner of my loading room.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

OK; I thought my kit was from that Mequon outfit. Error!

My kit was made by an outfit in Freson CA by the name of MA-REP-CO or Acc-u-Ream. See pics.

It is very close to the ones shown above from Mequon.

It includes a die body with ram, depriming and re-priming punches with base, powder and shot measures, a wad guide and I added Lee Crimp Starters for both 6 and 8 point crimps.

How many outfits made these tools? Looks like the same guy designed them all?

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2074.JPG   IMG_2075.JPG   IMG_2076.JPG   IMG_2078.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-06-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy,

The basic idea for that style reloader for rifle and pistol cartridges has been around since centerfire cartridges became widely available in about the 1880s. Lee (Richard, that is) patented a shot shell loading set, but I'm not sure just how inclusive that patent was or could be because of prior use. I do know that I've read he got royalties on every set Lee Custom made for many years and that was part of the impetus in his falling out with the other stock holders. I have not seen any indication that he made a Lee Loader set for shot shells as Lee Precision, rather making the Lee Load All presses that were initially quite inexpensive. I guess it was more promising for him to do that than defend his patent against the original Lee company or folks like those that made your set.

I've got to get this powder situation straight so I can try to load some 410 shells with my Lee (Custom) Loader just for the satisfaction of finding out whether it will work for me. I've got a couple of sources for powder, but I'd really like to find out that there is a safe load of 2400 as I have a supply of that from a long ago foray into loading 44 Magnum to use for Pistol Silhouette.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-07-2021 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Correction of information

Froggy: my standard load for .410's is 16 gr of H110.

I bought a $2000 Browning O/U .410 shotgun, 1000 o/f hulls and a Pacific DL266 loader,,, just so I could use up the 8 lb jug of H110 I bought for my .44's 25 years ago for $50! Makes sense huh?

I'll see if I can find a load with 2400 for you. Try to stick with Win AA hulls as they are the Best and most plentiful out there. You can

usually find them on Trapshooters.com./

Here's a blurb from Shotgun World, and this guy actually sounds like he knows what he's doing.

At one time 2400 was all I loaded in the 410. I can tell you this, it's pretty hard on hulls. Burns the case mouths pretty quickly, but as far as performance, there's no powder that produces better or more consistent loads than 2400, in the "older" 410 hulls.

Loaded mostly Remington hulls, and the load originally was 15.0 grs. 2400, but there was a change in 2400 about 20 years ago, and that dropped the charge in Remington's to 13.0 grs. In Rem. hulls use the Claybuster CB5050-410 HSB wad. This wad is really for the AA HS hulls, but works equally well in Remington hulls

Winchester Compression formed cases use 13.5 grs. 2400. I loaded both cases with W-209 primers. Best wads for the old AA CF hulls is the Orange PC wad from Down Range.

Today's Winchester 410 HS cases do not do well with 2400. They are at their best with W-296/H-110 or Alliant's new 300MP powders. I have used W-296 or H-110 (Same powder) for several years now in the AA HS cases. I run 16.0 grs for about 1280 FPS, which is a great performing load, and simply crushes Skeet targets. I use W-209 primers and the Claybuster CB5050-410HSB wads.

Good luck with your 410 project.

Apparently 2400 is hard on the hulls and everyone recommends H110/W296 first. But 13-13.5 gr of 2400 should work for you just fine.

Note; in the pics the first one is an old style hull and new style Win hull. The second pic shows the left one after firing with 2400 and the right one with H110. They weren't bent that was camera distortion from the closeup. But the 2400 shell was burned up pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2082.JPG   IMG_2083.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-07-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Randy. That’s more current data than I had been able to find. In these strange times of uncertain reloading supplies, I have comfortable supplies of a variety of powders, but wouldn’t you know the one I need for this particular purpose would be missing. I’ve got some feelers out and hope to get some though. As tough as it’s been to accumulate my rather meager supply of 410 AA hulls, I’d hate to burn up their mouths unnecessarily.

I got into 410 because a friend who knew of my attraction to Marlin Model 90 OUs called to tell me about a rare (only a couple of thousand made just before WWII) example in 410 recently arrived at a gun shop 120 miles East. I was leaving to drive 180 miles North that day, so my trip that day ended up going something like 250 miles in sort of the first two legs of a triangle. It’s hard to explain why we do what we do in the pursuit of Gun Nirvana.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Great news! I found a pound can of H110 at a little out of the way LGS near my shooting club, and only paid for that pound a little less than Randy’s 8 lb jug! Oddly enough, the only powder he had in the whole shop was five of these little 1 lb canisters of H110. Strange times, huh? Anyway, as valuable as that Marlin Model 90 is, I don’t want to put any risk or stress on it, so I’ll pay the freight for known safe loads.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    The last piece to the puzzle should be in place about Monday. I broke down and ordered a MEC spindex crimp starter (410 bore, six point) that I should be able to use by hand to simulate what I would have done with the original Lee Custom option, which was apparently made of unobtainium.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I should load my first ever box of AA 410s using my classic Lee Loader set. Hen I’ll decide whether I want to fool with it or send it on down the road. The way collectors drool over them, I shouldn’t have much trouble getting rid of it if I decide it’s not worth my time and effort.

Stay tuned!
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I made my own 410 reloader, but if the star crimp doesn't work to, get a precision reloading roll crimper and some overshot cards. The work great and allow one to load the old 3/4 oz loads. I use bot a star crimp and a roll crimp, and have good luck with both.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Great news! I found a pound can of H110 at a little out of the way LGS near my shooting club, and only paid for that pound a little less than Randy’s 8 lb jug! Oddly enough, the only powder he had in the whole shop was five of these little 1 lb canisters of H110. Strange times, huh? Anyway, as valuable as that Marlin Model 90 is, I don’t want to put any risk or stress on it, so I’ll pay the freight for known safe loads.

Froggie
    Froggie: 16 gr of H110 will do exactly what you need, and it's safe. It is the only load I have ever used.

You need to run your crimp starter with either an Arbor Press or a Drill Press used as an Arbor Press. You will probably have to smoosh down on the Pre Crimp 2-3 times to get it almost closed. Then use your Die to close the crimp completely.

Note: the alignment of the external ribs on teh tool with the folds of the previous crimp. this is the only thing that matters on .410 crimps because typically the Pre Crimp tool won't necessarily rotate into the correct position like it will on a 12 ga machine. You need to position the hull in the right position manually when you do the Pre Crimp. NO big deal just get used to it.

Here's what they should look like during the process. These were done on my DL266 but the hand tools should produce the same results.

Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1450572.jpg   1450573.jpg   19219.JPG  

If you are only loading a few 410 or looking for a survival kit this works pretty good.
    https://fromthetrenchesworldreport.c...ding-kit/60500

Boolit Master
    My Mequon is for .32 S&W.
    It will also load other .32 pistol shells.
    I have spent many a delightful hour or two loading .32 shells for all my pistols in 32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12