Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

View Poll Results: Which powder should I burn up in the 45 Colt?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • IMR PB

15 32.61%
  • IMR 7625

4 8.70%
  • IMR 4756

11 23.91%
  • IMR 800X

16 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which powder for 45 Colt?

I learned about PB unintentionally. In '76 a local sporting goods store discontinued their gun/reloading department because their gun expert left them to open his own gun shop (all other personnel in the store were "team sports" types)

I bought 4 Lyman 4 cavity molds for $12.50 each, 2000 Hornady primers (cost ?, but cheap) and a case of PB for $2.00/can.

It was clean burning, easy to meter & was very similar to Unique (but cleaner). I used it in .45 Colt, .38 spec. &.45 ACP. My shooting buddy finished 14th OA in the '81 IPSC national @ Hampton, VA using PB & #452374 boolits that we cast in my garage. It proved a real advantage in the simulated night shoot stage because the muzzle flash was less than any power we had used (we had advance notice of a simulated night shoot stage).

I haven't been able to get any in the past 5-6 years & assume that it is out of production. I now use HP38/231 & Red Dot in it's place for the .45 Colt and HP38 & WST for .38 spec. & .45 ACP).

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 08-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Unique for moderate loads, 2400 for high performance.

Winelover

Boolit Master

If the goal is to "burn" one of these powders up. Why not trade it to another member for a powder better suited? Just a thought.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    If the goal is to "burn" one of these powders up. Why not trade it to another member for a powder better suited? Just a thought.
    Good point.
    I’ll have to see if I can get anywhere with that.

I did try some PB last night. 6 grains seemed a little light and I had some soot on the cases. A little unburnt powder in the bore too. I’m going to burn through the ones I loaded and try to bump the charge. I think max was 7.5 with a 250. Starting was 5.
    They shot ok and I think most of the variations were due to my being new to the single action grip.

None of those listed....I'd use Unique...the very best for .45 Colt guns...and a host of others. Rod

Boolit Master
    I really like HS-6 in 45 Colt for midrange loads. Measures extremely well and good velocity

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Unique for moderate loads, 2400 for high performance.

Winelover
    Hi...
    Completely agree...I have been using Unique for cast bullet loads and 2400 with jacketed bullets in the .45Colt for decades. I use a firm roll crimp and have gotten excellent accuracy in a variety of handguns including a Contender.
    Still working on finding a load I like for my Cimarron 1873 rifle but I will get there eventually. I am in no particular hurry. It's basically just a range toy and both my son and I are having fun with it.

Boolit Master

So I’ve had luck with the PB
    I’ll burn the rest of that in the Colt
    In prepping for loading my first 20 gauge field loads today I realized all of these powders are perfect for that application.
    Guess I can burn the rest up in shot shells.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I use Red Dot.
    i use red dot too

Boolit Master

Again members, the OP is not asking what anyone is using in their 45 Colt loadings. I use
    a different powder for my Uberti, but it's not relevant to his question. It's a good habit to use a powder that will fill as much of the cavernous case of the 45 Colt, to prevent double charging to go unnoticed. Also, with that in mind, his particular bullet selection is light for what the cartridge was designed for. If one uses a slower burning powder, he may (probably) wind up with a lot of unburned powder down the bore, and quite a bit of soot on the cases. So, in my opinion, he should use one of his faster powders (he has on hand) to use under the lighter weight boolit he is using to get his satisfactory results. To prevent the unburned powder issue, most of that would be remidied by using a heavier boolit to create more back pressure using a slower burning (4756) powder.
    Regards

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You forgot to mention the weight of the bullet, so
    pick any of the powders by bullet weight and you will have good reloads
    http://stevespages.com/451_2.html

PS: Only 2 of the powders that you listed are recommend
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Lyman lists his bullet weight as 245 grains.

Boolit Master

I have a N.O.E. #452423 too. Great Bullet, Great Mold. Mine weigh 236grs out of My alloy.

I have used PB in the past, got it at a blowout price. Ok as long as it lasted.
    Used it with the #452374 in the Colt case. Low pressure load shot in Blackhawk only because of adjustable sights. Think it was 6.5grs under the 230gr RN. That way I knew just what the load/powder was at a glance
    Which ties into the Lyman #4 load of 250gr #454190 min: 5.0grs to max: 7.5grs. not the most efficient load.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I have a N.O.E. #452423 too. Great Bullet, Great Mold. Mine weigh 236grs out of My alloy.

I have used PB in the past, got it at a blowout price. Ok as long as it lasted.
    Used it with the #452374 in the Colt case. Low pressure load shot in Blackhawk only because of adjustable sights. Think it was 6.5grs under the 230gr RN. That way I knew just what the load/powder was at a glance
    Which ties into the Lyman #4 load of 250gr #454190 min: 5.0grs to max: 7.5grs. not the most efficient load.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    I use Unique for mid range, 2400 for full power in my Ruger. Unique in my ROA conversion. Keep it simple and old school.

Boolit Master
    At pistol loading levels, you will have that surplus for the rest of your life! Want to burn powder? Load for shotgun. Regards

Boolit Grand Master

I used to use Green Dot but switched to AA#5 because it meters better.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Red Dot. Very fluffy, which you want in that cavernous case.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PapaG View Post
    I use Unique for mid range, 2400 for full power in my Ruger. Unique in my ROA conversion. Keep it simple and old school.
    This.

Boolit Master
    Haven't used those powders for my 45 Colt so I can't give you an opinion on them. I have used Unique,231,Universal Clay's and Red Dot for standard and 296/H110 for Ruger Blackhawk,Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast